131 struggle

37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: 131 struggle
Mar 30, 2015, 05:22
I too struggled to digest it, but I thought it best to put it down and attempt again when I was ready (got a few chapters in). I don't read much fiction, but I'm trying to diversify my reading, so I thought 131 a good investment.

I will agree that the text is difficult, though having read Cope's writing on this site for years would prep you for his level of jargon and humour (and he is funny). I wouldn't agree about the Fear & Loathing comparison, so many people think only a single road story about drugs and adrenaline can every be written. To dismiss 131 in this manner would be the same as people who dismiss Zappa for his "comedy music".

I am going to be traveling for 2 weeks, and thought it a perfect time to read it all the way through. Certainly not for a distracted mind, so I will devote my attention to the text.

Also, I agree it probably is like his output of the last decade, which isn't so pop-oriented and easily digestible, but needs time and patience to absorb and appreciate. Sometimes I like hot dogs, but sometimes I like chewing clouds instead.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index