Topic View: Flat | Threaded
konaman
konaman
533 posts

Re: top 5 best bass lines of all time
Feb 14, 2014, 00:53
a good proportion of the above

+ will need to refresh Holger's lines

- gotta be some Stanley Clarke in there....Life Suite No ???

the A to E riff I always play when trying out basses in shops....
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Feb 14, 2014, 01:29
A veritable cornucopia of amazing bass lines:

Minutemen - Double Nickels on The Dime
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXdGjdYQh4k)
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Feb 14, 2014, 08:23
Herbie Flowers. I would love to spend an afternoon in that guy's company. He comes across as one of the nicest people in the world. I'd settle for a read of an autobiography, though.
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2014, 08:45
Feb 14, 2014, 08:42
garerama wrote:
elegant chaos wrote:

Love Lies Limp - Alternative TV

Doh! Of course! Nice one. How could I forget that one?

And a band I formed a long time ago Bloco Vomit who played "samba punk" covered this. We did covers of mostly punk songs using samba percussion and me on guitar (no bass - the bass surdo drums did that). We have a woman singing Love Lies Limp and me playing the bass line on guitar to a samba reggae rhythm here
http://www.radio.uol.com.br/#/letras-e-musicas/bloco-vomit/love-lies-limp/2334151
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Feb 14, 2014, 09:54
I may be in the band now but I was only 10 when the flexi was released so I can't claim full bias! I'm guitarist now but I started as a substitute bassist in '99 - when the original bassist went to Sunderland games I was in! Felt really proud at my first ATV gig when I played the opening bassline and a cheer went up! Steve Carter plays it live now! Those in Brighton will find out next Friday 21st (plug plug LOL)
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2014, 09:56
Feb 14, 2014, 09:56
Alex Ferguson wrote it but the bassist playing on the flexi was Tyrone Thomas - I have a catch up with him on occasion. He is playing with two bands in Deptford these days - The Olympic Clampdown and Paradise 9.
SeriousMF
3 posts

Feb 14, 2014, 10:09
Nile Rodgers all day long hence his recent resurgence in pop-u-larity

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode

Precious - Bruce Foxton (The Jam)

For me though Mick Karn - The Dalis Car stuff but The Art of Parties is a killer as is much of the whole Tin drum album.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 14, 2014, 11:59
School Days is a good one for a list.
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Feb 14, 2014, 12:00
Nice one! Not far behind you ... I was 11 when I purchased the "Life" single with "LLL" on the b-side (c 1979/1980). I did go to see ATV once at the Edinburgh Capital of Punk festival (1996 I think). They got attitude (love "Alternatives") and diverseness - "Vibing Up The Senileman" is up there - wonderful weirdness! Punk, dub, avant-garde.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Feb 14, 2014, 12:26
some honorable mentions?

Riders on the storm would not be the atmospheric brooding beast that it is without that rolling undertone complementing Morrison's echoey, whispry vocals.

In a similar vein, Billie Jean by Michael Jackson. The bass really carries and drives the song.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index