Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 19 January 2014 CE
Jan 20, 2014, 00:03
keith a wrote:
Fatalist wrote:
Killing Joke – MMXII / Absolute Dissent / Night Time. Still mightily impressed by MMXII, I had a listen to the album released beforehand, Absolute Dissent… and it’s OK, but there’s nothing on it I feel compelled to hear again. Strange how the same band can release consecutive albums that elicit such different responses in me. Ditto Night Time, though obviously that was released in what feels like a different era altogether – ‘Love Like Blood’ and ‘Eighties’ (in particular) still sound fantastic, but I can take or leave the other tracks, which just seem very of their time…

I haven't heard MMXII so I can't comment on that, but I've recently come tothe conclusion that Absolute Dissent has some great tracks on it. It did nothing for me when I first got it and like you I didn't feel compelled to hear it again. I've gone back to it recently and some of it blew me away.

Actually, Absolute Dissent does have some tracks on it that are probably worth revisiting, but the album suffers from being over-long, which means that by the time you reach the end, you've been pummelled into submission and just want to leave it alone (there's quite a few albums where this is a problem). For me, MMXII is less metal, has more variation in sound and crucially is more concise. Still bloody heavy though. Definitely check it out if you like AD.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index