Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 20, 2014, 07:37
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 19 January 2014 CE
Jan 19, 2014, 09:41
Constance Demby - Skies Above Skies
Funny how old and long forgotten albums come back into your life. This proto new age record was a big favourite of my acupuncturist in the mid 80s. I had not listened to it in years but was prompted to upgrade my decrepit old cassette dub to cd after hearing an excerpt featured on the "I Am The Center" compilation. Actually quite a lot of Constance Demby's pre digital music is worth at least checking out for her TDream like space music, her wall-of-dulcimer thing and her love of subsonics. From the mid 80s on the technology seems to take away more than it gives. This though is a gem absolutely worth owning and could be fairly reliably described as a cross between Linda Perhacs, Agnes Garnas and "Victorialand". If "Skies Above Skies" had been made in say Sweden or Iceland and released on 4AD in 1983 with a Vaughan Oliver cover and Melody Maker endorsement then it would be all but guaranteed a place in the indie art rock pantheon of curios - all dulcimer shimmer and voix mystere. So, if you like that sort of thing, then you are in for a major treat. You just have to be prepared to listen around the styling / presentation.

The Eddie Kendricks Collection, Vol. 1
Lou Reed - Animal Serenade
The Baby Huey Story: The Living Legend
.... and lots of Knifeworld
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index