33 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Jan 19, 2014, 20:27
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 19 January 2014 CE
Jan 19, 2014, 20:23
Killing Joke – MMXII / Absolute Dissent / Night Time. Still mightily impressed by MMXII, I had a listen to the album released beforehand, Absolute Dissent… and it’s OK, but there’s nothing on it I feel compelled to hear again. Strange how the same band can release consecutive albums that elicit such different responses in me. Ditto Night Time, though obviously that was released in what feels like a different era altogether – ‘Love Like Blood’ and ‘Eighties’ (in particular) still sound fantastic, but I can take or leave the other tracks, which just seem very of their time…

Fuck Buttons – Slow Focus / Tarot Sport. Though having said that, I feel similarly about these two albums. SF gets better every time I listen it, TS just sounds like a bleedin’ racket.

Peter Hammill – The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage. If (as I said last week) Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night is a guaranteed turn-off for non-Hammill fans, its follow-up remains perhaps the best entry point for the Hammill neophyte. ‘Modern’ and ‘The Lie’ in particular both still sound like nothing else.

VDGG – Present. Decent enough reformation album, but not essential, and I’m afraid I gave up halfway through the second CD of improvs.

Teeth of the Sea – Your Mercury. Eek, frustrating band. Great name, great artwork, talk a good game, but it seems that every time they come up with a decent idea or riff, they always blow it with a clunky rhythm track or flaccid arrangement.

Wipers – Youth of America. Just brilliant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaUzYISKKAI

Field Music – (Measure)

The Week That Was – s/t. In a sane world, the Brewis brothers would be recognised as some of the finest songwriters of their generation and their albums would sell by the shedload. As it is, they have to calculate every year whether it’s economically feasible for them to continue to make music full-time instead of having 9-5 jobs.

Shock Headed Peters – Tendercide. Karl Blake, another unsung genius.

Tame Impala – Inner Speaker

Purson – Rocking Horse EP

Inspired by a quick flick through the Shindig Space Rock guide:

Sula Bassana – The Night. My favourite of his of the stuff I’ve heard.

Chrome – 3rd From The Sun. Yeah, I know that Alien Soundtracks and Half-Machine Lip Moves are meant to be the ‘important’ ones, but this has always been my favourite. Still remember it being advertised in Kerrang! ;-)

Listen With Father (music to brainwash young children with at the breakfast table):

Laika – Sounds of the Satellites. Forgot this from last week, but worth a mention. The way the synths sing on this record is quite lovely.

Jonny Trunk – The Inside Outside. Perfect for kids, child-like without ever being twee. And this song has a toy dog barking amusingly in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg_mSbpUX6M

John Cale – Close Watch - an introduction to… Err, yes, maybe going a bit off-piste in terms of not irreparably damaging young minds, but ‘Paris 1919’ got a big thumbs-up from the 5 year old. Really like this compilation, but have never really seriously explored Cale’s back catalogue. And when for instance I recently listened to Slow Dazzle (I think it was), I only really liked the tracks I already had on this album. Which makes me sound like a Partridge-esque best-of-the-Beatles type cretin I know.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index