Sep 17, 2013, 04:30
no doubt about that!
fat_fleet
fat_fleet
146 posts

Re: Reggae - Where to Start?
Sep 17, 2013, 14:43
Mantid wrote:
I just want to thank everyone for this killer thread and thanks to the original poster for bringin it up. I have also been reggae curious and this has been very very enlightening. The Trojan boxes are awesome! I've also finally educated myself on some of the sub genres and learned what I really like most (old rocksteady and dub across time).

I've gone back to this thread a few times myself. Lifetime of info here.
Within two weeks of posting it, I found a Dadawah Peace & Love re-ish in a used bin at a nearby record store. Fate?
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 17, 2013, 19:00
Alright. Think I'm getting better -- think I got rid of that infection or it looks like it. And lost some weight...
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Sep 19, 2013, 16:18
Culture: The International Herb, and Cumbolo. You can get no wrong with both records.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 31, 2014, 16:02
Anyone made any discoveries in the last few months? Perrys Roaring Lion looks interesting. Has anyone got it? If anyone wants to have a listen pre purchase, Ras Michaels Love Thy Neighbour is still up on youtube, as is his essential album as Dadawah, Peace and Love - which is forty years old this year. Oh that something new of that calibre would emerge. Perry's crowdfunded Back At The Controls should be out pretty soon, recorded in the recreated Black Ark, and is believed to be pretty good...but 'pretty good' is the best I'm hoping for.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jan 31, 2014, 17:03
There's a band doing a few of the little festivals my lot are booked for, called The Majestic. Nothing too groundbreaking, I'll grant you, but they are out there doing it live - and bound to do it somewhere near you, at some point in the Summer*.

*Summer is the warmest of the four temperate seasons, falling between spring and autumn. At the summer solstice, the days are longest and the nights are shortest, with day-length decreasing as the season progresses after the solstice. The date of the beginning of summer varies according to climate, tradition and culture, but when it is summer in the Northern Hemisphere it is winter in the Southern Hemisphere, and vice versa.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Jan 31, 2014, 17:53
Ah, you mean the season when the flood water gets hotter
woolybaque
woolybaque
109 posts

Jan 31, 2014, 17:56
Dennis Brown - Money in my Pocket The Definitive Collection (on Trojan)

Gregory Isaacs - Lovers Rock Double LP

Tapper Zukie - MPLA

Lee Perry - History, Mystery & Prophecy
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jan 31, 2014, 19:28
Summer: The best day of the year.
Mantid
100 posts

Jan 31, 2014, 22:42
I've been working through the various Trojan box sets. Lots of good stuff. I especially like the Dub ones.

Also, check out the show "positive vibrations", an eclectic mix which is generally about 65% great.

http://kexp.org/programs/PositiveVibrations

"Placing equal legitimacy upon all styles of Jamaican musical expression, Positive Vibrations joins the dots between Ska, Rocksteady, Roots Reggae, Dub, and Dancehall. Kid Hops educates as he entertains - riding rhythms across artists, labels, and decades, he demystifies the connections between producers and studios. From the roughest riddims, to the sweetest harmonies and rudest of rudebwoy deejays, Positive Vibrations provides the perfect blend of Jamaican sounds."
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index