Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Reggae - Where to Start?
Aug 16, 2013, 07:31
The Hidden Corner wrote:
Great to hear that others know and have enjoyed this great compilation - over the years I lent it out many times to friends that I played it to who then asked if they could tape it ( we're talking the 80s and 90s here when home taping was commonplace). It was also my gateway into reggae - I went on to buy albums by many of the artists featured, but none of them were as enjoyable and faultless as the mighty Rebel Music - and indeed, it does have a cheesy but appealing cover.

Looks like a Rezillos albums! Trojan were notoriously cheap when it came to packaging but that was ridiculous. Though thinking about it I am wondering if they were actually going for the day-glo punk rock pound.
bauheed
bauheed
896 posts

Aug 16, 2013, 08:54
I know that there's been a bit of discussion on dancehall earlier in this thread, but I would suggest that the you shouldn't completely discount the new roots reggae that emerged from the dancehall scene in the 90's. I realise that there is violence and homophobia associated with a few of these acts, but if you can get past that then there is some really great music. Stuff like:

Buju Banton - Voice of Jamaica; 'Til Shiloh; Inna Heights
Capleton - Prophecy; I Testament; More Fire
Beanie Man - Many Moods of Moses
Luciano - A New Day
Sizzla - Black Woman and Child; Black History
Garnet Silk - Gold
Cocoa Tea - Feel the Power
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 16, 2013, 10:14
It does leap out at you, which is something. You might even make a claim to a Neu/Andy Warhol-esque iconographic simplicity, but...naw. Rebels famously love bright yellow with red polka dots.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 16, 2013, 10:26
I'm thinking more of King Jammy productions when I defend Dancehall, things like this comp (nothing homophobic there), though I've listened to a couple people you mentioned who I dig. Buju Banton, however, may have some good beats, but this is one of the most disturbing songs I've ever heard: Boom Bye Bye
ars moriendi
ars moriendi
433 posts

Aug 16, 2013, 10:32
Often stick this on and thoroughly enjoy it http://www.discogs.com/Revolutionaries-At-Channel-1-Dub-Plate-Specials/master/254617

Might want to check out some King Tubby whilst you're at it.

Slightly off piste but Suns of Arqa have done so e wonderful Dub, my favourite http://www.discogs.com/Suns-Of-Arqa-Jaggernaut-Whirling-Dub/release/430326
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 16, 2013, 11:21
It's disturbing that such a song became really popular in fact. I don't think the reggae scene in general recovered from it.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Aug 16, 2013, 11:35
ars moriendi wrote:
Slightly off piste but Suns of Arqa have done so e wonderful Dub, my favourite

Love Suns of Arqa too mate, they've made some cracking albums haven't they?
keith a
9574 posts

Aug 16, 2013, 17:50
Some of these have been mentioned already, but here's some of my favourites...

Satta Massagana - The Abyssinians
Marcus Garvey - Burning Spear (cd comes complete with dub version, Garvey's Ghost)
Two Seven's Clash - Culture
Harder Than the Rest - Culture
Combolo - Culture
Culture In Dub - Culture
Dangerous Dub - King Tubby / Roots Radics
Leggo Dub - Ossie All-Stars (also credited to The Revolutionaries)
Original Rockers - Augustus Pablo
King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown - Augustus Pablo / King Tubby
Rocker Meets King Tubby In A Firehouse - Augustus Pablo / King Tubby
Arkology (compilation) - Lee Perry
Black Ark Years (compilation) - Lee Perry & Friends
Rids The World Of The Evil Curse Of The Evil Vampires - Scientist
Black Ash Dub - Sly & the Revolutionaries
Well Charged - Vital Dub (The Revolutionaries apparently)
Firehouse Rock - Wailing Souls
keith a
9574 posts

Edited Aug 16, 2013, 20:25
Aug 16, 2013, 20:25
BTW If you (or anyone else here for that matter) is on Facebook, then 'like' Keith's Saturday Morning Reggae Club for my weekly reggae track!

https://www.facebook.com/KeithsSaturdayMorningReggaeClub
fat_fleet
fat_fleet
146 posts

Edited Aug 18, 2013, 13:10
Aug 18, 2013, 13:10
Hey folks, couldn't let this thread slide off to oblivion without thanking y'all for your numerous suggestions and well-thought lists. It became more than I could digest very quickly. I'll be referring back here for a while.

I spent a long time looking up albums and comparing between lists and and this is what I came up with to get me started down the road to Babylon (or, er, something like that):

Dadawah/Ras Michael - Peace and Love & Love Thy Neighbor
Misty in Roots - Live at the Counter Eurovision 79 (tough to find, by the way, but I really like it)
Abyssinians - Satta Massagana
Max Romeo - Open the Iron Gate 1973-77
Lee Perry - Super Ape and Return of the Super Ape
Culture - Two Sevens Clash

I know I'm just scratching the surface here...no Marley, Burning Spear etc. But I had to draw the line somewhere, and I'll follow up with more records if this stuff jives. I also didn't pursue any anthologies, partially due to rocker biases, also partly because they are huuuuge...But I did look into the Frontline box set (o.o.p.), Arkology, and some Trojan comps. It's really more than I can handle right now. :)

Anyways, thanks again.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index