Reggae - Where to Start?

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: Reggae - Where to Start?
Aug 14, 2013, 17:50
Think it was on Mainlines. I have the book literally three feet away- I could easily turn that think into a know with under five seconds work. But I don't wanna! Alright, I will. Yep, it's there. Article's called "Innocents In Babylon".

By the way, if you want even further context than just the music, a few reggae films won't go amiss. Top non-docs I know would be Rockers, featuring cats like Gregory Isaacs, Big Youth and Burning Spear, who I think may be a real-life living mystic going on his scene by the sea in that movie; second if you want to catch a glimpse of the UK reggae culture is 1980's Babylon. Looks to be on the Tube in full here. Oh and The Harder They Come with Jimmy Cliff, of course! Must be a hundred reggae documentaries up on the tube of you as well.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 14, 2013, 18:19
A lot of the absolutely classic sets that came out about 10 years ago have been deleted. Thought they were pretty exemplary, but they all went about 2 years back. Ones I;m talking about were 2 full cds that covered artist with some depth also gsub-genres. So things lke the Flashing Echo dub set, 54-46 Was My Number by Toots and the Maytals, Ethiopians Train To Skaville, several Lee perry etc etc. Think there has been anew series since but not sure if it is as good..

Stevo
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 14, 2013, 18:21
There's a great set called Ape-ology that has both of the Super Ape sets with slightly different mixes as well as Roast Fish and Colllie Weed plus several bonus tracks. You could still get it about 4 months back through Amazon or Play.com
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: Dub - Where to Start?
Aug 14, 2013, 20:04
Oh, and if you like one or all of those, you could do at lot worse than moving on to Joe Gibbs & The Professionals "African Dub" Chapters 1 - 4.

Start with the King Tubby though.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Aug 14, 2013, 20:06
Also, a very good single-disc entry point for both Dub and Roots is Don Letts' excellent "Dread Meets Punk Rockers Uptown" compilation.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/dread-meets-punk-rockers-uptown-mw0000739296
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Aug 14, 2013, 20:08
The Lloyd Bradley book is quite probably the best music book I've ever read.

Really inspiring, it covers the whole history of Jamaica's music scene through Mento, ska, the soundsystems, rocksteady, roots, dub, etc.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 14, 2013, 22:09
Aug 14, 2013, 20:32
stray wrote:
Rhythm & Sound : With the Artists. Worth the money for Jennifer Lara's take on 'Queen in my Empire' alone. )

What an album! Best six quid I will spend this month. Went for its dub double too but haven't played that yet.
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

Aug 14, 2013, 20:50
Lots of fine recommendations here.

One album in my over extensive record collection that I have probably played more than any other since I bought it when it was released in 1979 is a Trojan double compilation entitled Rebel Music. It's still available and really is a wonderful listen for anyone that loves 70s reggae. I know that Trojan has since released many box sets and these may be better for all I know - I just haven't heard them.

Further details of track list etc here http://www.discogs.com/Various-Rebel-Music-An-Anthology-Of-Reggae-Music/release/1265034

Any album that has the 3 R's on it has to be great ( I Roy, U Roy and, er, Little Roy)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 14, 2013, 21:01
Rebel Music was a great compilation with a brilliantly tacky cover.

Thanks for the reminder.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 14, 2013, 21:09
Oh wow, that was the first reggae album I ever owned! Almost never hear anyone else talk about it. They always think I'm talking about the Marley album. Amazed someone here brought it up. Some extremely catchy things on there, with my favourite being Derrick Harriott's self-deprecating The Loser.

I think I remember reading that this comp served as a remedial class for many of the post-punkers who quickly went onto incorporate reggae and dub influences in their music.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index