Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Seb
Seb
600 posts

Re: Reggae - Where to Start?
Aug 15, 2013, 05:55
IanB wrote:
stray wrote:
Rhythm & Sound : With the Artists. Worth the money for Jennifer Lara's take on 'Queen in my Empire' alone. )

What an album! Best six quid I will spend this month. Went for its dub double too but haven't played that yet.

Both of these are magnificent.

Funnily enough, I found a second hand CD copy of the Congos' Heart of the Congos in Vancouver last week, never heard it before, and it's heartbreakingly brilliant. Got it on constant repeat as we drive up through the Rockies!

Anybody else love that Sun Araw / Congos FRKWYS Vol.9 thing from a few years ago?

stray
stray
2057 posts

Aug 15, 2013, 06:53
IanB wrote:
stray wrote:
Rhythm & Sound : With the Artists. Worth the money for Jennifer Lara's take on 'Queen in my Empire' alone. )

What an album! Best six quid I will spend this month. Went for its dub double too but haven't played that yet.

:) It's one of those albums that we keep going back to again and again. I think you'll like most of the Rhythm & Sound releases.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 15, 2013, 06:57
thesweetcheat wrote:
The Lloyd Bradley book is quite probably the best music book I've ever read.

Really inspiring, it covers the whole history of Jamaica's music scene through Mento, ska, the soundsystems, rocksteady, roots, dub, etc.

His new book (on a related topic) is Book of the Week on BBCR4 this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03847t6/Book_of_the_Week_Sounds_Like_London_100_Years_of_Black_Music_in_the_Capital_Episode_3/
stray
stray
2057 posts

Aug 15, 2013, 06:58
Seb wrote:

Anybody else love that Sun Araw / Congos FRKWYS Vol.9 thing from a few years ago?

Yes!... and no, no, no. Thats an incredibly fustrating release for my ears. In there somewhere is probably one of the finest dub records ever made as far as I'm concerned. It is however completely criminally ruined by really bad mastering with ridiculous limiting. I can only listen to two tracks of it in one sitting at most before I have to change to something else, it really tires the old ears out. Its so bloody narrow and gah!! As said to Squid on this one some months ago; You can't have a conversation with someone else in the same room as it's on, it's like having a vaccum cleaner on. But bloody hell, there are some amazing compositions in there, it could be a classic.

Everytime I play it my mind screams FUCK! give me the originals and let me master it please. ;)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 16, 2013, 06:36
Aug 15, 2013, 08:13
Sin Agog wrote:
Oh wow, that was the first reggae album I ever owned! Almost never hear anyone else talk about it. They always think I'm talking about the Marley album. Amazed someone here brought it up. Some extremely catchy things on there, with my favourite being Derrick Harriott's self-deprecating The Loser.

I think I remember reading that this comp served as a remedial class for many of the post-punkers who quickly went onto incorporate reggae and dub influences in their music.

So true! There were certainly a lot of copies of that about when I was (briefly) at PNL. In 1980 it seemed to be the equivalent to the Post Punk crowd what The Front Line was to hippies and punks alike in in 1976/77. Rebel Music was one of the best multi artist retrospective projects that Trojan put together before getting bought out. The little box sets that they put out in the late 90s were quite good in their way esp the Rare Groove and Singles ones.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 15, 2013, 17:44
The Steve Barrow written Rough Guide to Reggae was pretty interesting too. As is People Funny Boy on Lee Perry.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Aug 15, 2013, 18:25
Excellent stuff, thanks Ian.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Aug 15, 2013, 21:16
wychburyman wrote:
Love Reggae, but don't have much of a knowledge base to go on

However, I would recommend Handsworth Revolution by Steel Pulse

Classic. Get some Burning Spear, too. The skatalites are essential, though.
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

Aug 15, 2013, 21:33
Great to hear that others know and have enjoyed this great compilation - over the years I lent it out many times to friends that I played it to who then asked if they could tape it ( we're talking the 80s and 90s here when home taping was commonplace). It was also my gateway into reggae - I went on to buy albums by many of the artists featured, but none of them were as enjoyable and faultless as the mighty Rebel Music - and indeed, it does have a cheesy but appealing cover.
MC
638 posts

Aug 15, 2013, 23:16
Beautiful early track:

Ken Boothe - Artibella
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH5Oa8TEGrk
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index