Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 June 2013 CE

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 June 2013 CE
Jun 18, 2013, 18:19
Iggy and the Stooges- Ready to Die. This is actually growing on me; the worst thing is the shiny 'modern rock' production, but James Williamson has some characteristic slashing riffs and there's something quite moving about Iggy's 'bitter old man' persona, singing about mortality and disappointment throughout. Oh, and tits. "Nipples come and nipples go." Wise words, mate...

The Black Angels- Indigo Meadow. I've liked all their stuff to some degree, but this is the first album of theirs to consistently engage me. Looking forward to seeing them live for the first time next week.

The Pastels- Slow Summit. I've only intermittently listened to the Pastels over the years- seen them live twice, but this is the first entire album of theirs I've owned. Lovely summer evening flute-based happy-sad lo-fi musings.

The Lucid Dreams- Songs of Lies and Deceit. Still enjoying this psych-pop newie.

The Pooh Sticks- Optimistic Fool. The Poohs' final LP, from 1995. Some of the sparkle is gone, but there's an almost Saint Etienne like jazziness around the edges that retains interest.

The Mock Turtles- Turtle Soup. Unfairly ignored / maligned band who should never have really thrown their lot in with the 1990 baggy scene. In reality they were Byrds-meets-Bebop Deluxe classicists, led by the often Bowie-esque vocals of Martin "brother of Steve" Coogan.

Eat Lights Become Lights- Modular Living. Forthcoming third album from the UK's top neo-kraut tribute act, er, I mean forward-thinking muthas.

Belle and Sebastian- Dear Catastrophe Waitress. Some great tunes on this album, but my favourite is the closing 'Stay Loose' a near perfect Nick Lowe / Jags new wave power pop pastiche.

The Soundcarriers- The Other World of the Soundcarriers. Gorgeous ltd vinyl instrumental album on Great Pop Supplement, paying tribute to the library music of KPM and DeWolfe in the 60s and 70s.

The Spectrals- Sob Story. Current indie pop and not as bad as I feared. Again, something of a Nick Lowe thing going on here.

plus:

Crosby, Stills and Nash- S/T

Swell Maps- Train Out of It

Julian Cope- St Julian

Big Star- Third / Sister Lovers

Kingdom of Not- Journey to the Far Side of the Room.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index