24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Jun 16, 2013, 10:40
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 June 2013 CE
Jun 16, 2013, 10:29
Caravan 'Blind Dog at St Dunstans' - sublime progressive pop from Caravan's half-forgotten mid period;

Bauhaus 'In The Flat Field' - nothing like as embarrassing as it seemed at the time: in fact I dig this today more than ever before;

The Clash 'The Clash' - played after Chris Packham's ever cleverer inclusion of Clash song titles into his Springwatch commentaries (example: "Bright, garish colours on birds? Naah, give me black or white. Riot of colour - that's what I like, not electric Protex blue.." or "No, you can't call the runt of the litter Runty, as with a name like that he's bound to fail. Call him Rudy, cos Rudy can't fail". Right on, dude!);

Julian Cope 'Discover Odin' - the musical sequences of which move me as much as anything the Drude has ever done;

The Monochrome Set 'Love Zombies' - post-punk pop with more than a hint of Canterbury influence;

Tyrannosaurus Rex 'My People Were Fair And Had Sky In Their Hair But Now They're Content To Wear Stars On Their Brows' - like the three albums after it, this first full length Bolan opus still tickles my pleasure bone with its sub-ISB charm;

Wishbone Ash 'Clan Destiny' - a damn good latterday Wishbone Ash album with some stunning axe-sparring between Andy Powell and the very Hillage-esque Muddy Mustonen. Shame about the former's nasal vocals though - a taste I have yet to acquire;

Deep Purple 'Now! What?' - easily the best Purple album of the Morse era;

Al Stewart 'Zero She Flies' - of its time but still great. If Al'd pegged it after this third album we'd all be venerating him as much as Nick Drake now. As it is he's terminally uncool, and unfairly so I reckon;

Cat Stevens 'Mona Bone Jakon' - my comments regarding Al Stewart apply here too. In fact, this first Island release after two years of TB-induced exile is every bit as spare, subtle and beguiling as 'Five Leaves Left' and 'Bryter Layter';

Buddy Rich 'The Complete Verve Sessions' - distinguished by the sweet trumpet of Harry 'Sweets' Edison: sublime stuff, and nice work if you can get it...;

Charlie Parker 'With Strings' - wherein a tortured soul cuts through the blandness of his surroundings with inventive and inspired improvisation that belittles the over-used term of "genius";

Hagen Quartet: Haydn Quartet Op.20 no.4; Bartok Quartet no.4; and Beethoven Quartet Op.131 - played in tribute to fellow Cope, Bowie and classical music fan Bill Middlemist who lost his life last week. R.I.P. mate - you had great music taste.

Take care out there, dudes - and good listening.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index