Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 June 2013 CE

24 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 June 2013 CE
Jun 17, 2013, 00:08
Everything Is Good Here/Please Come Home – The Angels Of Light
I was a big fan of their Other People album a few years back but that was the only one I had by them till I picked this up a couple of weeks ago. And on early listens this is excellent, too. Really intense stuff.

Line The Wall – Bo Ningen
This lot blew me away when I saw them last year. I wasn’t sure how their sound would transfer to record but after they'd given one of the best live performances I've seen in recent years it felt churlish not to buy this. I needn’t have worried because there are some fab moments here, not least Daikaisei Pt 1 which has a crunching Sabbath-like riff played over a thumping beat before some more ethereal enter the fray.

Revolutionary Suicide – Julian Cope
I've still only played this a couple of times but 2nd play it sounded so much better.

Long Slow Dance - The Fresh & Onlys
I saw these live the other night and really enjoyed their San Fransisco styled power pop. There’s little here that you haven’t heard before but it’s enjoyable all the same. There’s a really good track near the end called Foolish Person which is much longer than their other numbers, opening with a Spector-ish beat and then having a mini guitar wig-out near the end which was one of the highlights of the live set and which would be an interesting direction for them to pursue further.

Goatman / Stonegoat (singles)– Goat
Goatman was my favourite single of 2012 and I've been giving it a fair bit of play again these past few weeks. On first listen their new one, Stonegoat, isn’t in the same league but it’s not bad all the same and I’m sure it’ll grow on me! Available in the UK on sickly / yucky green coloured vinyl.

Cellar Songs - Meilir
I raved about this mini-album from this Welsh singer-songwriter a few weeks back. There’s some nice production work here to match the songs and a voice that at times makes me want to describe it as Kevin Godley at his most mournful even if that might not be 100% accurate!

The BBC Recordings – The Sound
Contains a truly electric Mike Read session version I Can’t Escape Myself which was originally on their Jeopardy debut LP. As always Borland sings those words like he really means them and there is some great stabbing guitar work.

Dusty...Definitely – Dusty Springfield
It’s not as good as Dusty In Memphis but then again very few things are. Some really good moments all the same.

Plus...
Landed - Can
Long Life - Prince Far I
Wanderlust ep – Sparrowhawks
S/T - Supergrass
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index