Pub Rock

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Re: Pub Rock
Mar 19, 2013, 10:07
Pub Rock was a live thing, you kinda had to be there. Thus the best records from that period are the live recordings: The Feelgood’s Stupidity, Ducks Deluxe on Man’s Xmas at the Patti 10inch, The Hot Rod’s Live at the Marquee ep, the Zig Zag at the Roundhouse with Help Yourself and Chilli Willi, Global Village Trucking Co. on the Dingwalls Greasy Truckers double and most magnificently of all: the Brinsleys set on the first Greasy Truckers Party album. I have a Bees make Honey set on CD but its a bit dissapointing. What a shame there’s no live recordings of Martin Stone’s Jivebombers or Carol Grimes band with Henry McCulloch. The best Studio recordings would be the 101ers Keys to Your Heart single and Elgin Avenue Breakdown LP, all the Roogalater and Chillis stuff, Kilburn and the High Roads Handsome, Kokomo’s first album and GT Moore and the Reggae Guitars first record (Cracking, danceable Maytals style rhythms). Loads of decent funk and soul as well - Clancy, FBI, Cymande. I’ve not forgiven Stuart Maconie for slagging Pub Rock (What would he know, it never went north of Watford - Ok it did Derby? Sheffield?) whilst harping on about Northern Soul (Records that weren’t good enough to be hits in their own right played to death by cliquey narcisists -oh hell he has me at it now, I like Northern Soul!) Keep the faith and Keep music live!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index