Pub Rock : Paving The Way For Punk , & Goodbye
Nashville Hello Camden Town .

My collection of proper albums is a bit
small , have most of the Chilli Willies ,
& Kilburn's - 'Handsome' lp

Looking to expand , i've heard Dr. Feelgood -
Down By The Jetty , some Brinsley , 101'ers etc

Any ideas on a nice Pubrocksampler

First two Graham Parker records are fantastic as is the live at Marble Arch official bootleg thing from the same period. I had a big soft spot for Roogalator though have not played the records in ages. I remember Bees Make Honey being good live. No idea if they ever recorded. If you can find the Blast Furnace (aka CS Murray) single "South Of The River" that was pretty good but not heard that in years either. Hammersmith Gorrilas and Mike Spencer's Cannibals were really good live bands in that era but not sure if they were pub rock. They played in pubs! Then there were the soul contingent - Kokomo, Maggie Reilly's Cado Belle, Moon (with Noel McCalla) and such like and the Jess Roden Band of course who never played pubs as far as I can remember but had that stripped down British approach to American music without the vapid west coast session slickness. I bought Jess Roden's budget price live album on Island the same day as White Riot so things were still pretty fluid in the spring of 77. Perhaps not what you are after though. Other than the hordes of r&b acts there were also lots and lots of bands who wanted to sound like Little Feat but had not the material nor the talent for it. Cheese cloth almost mandatory.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index