Looking to expand , i've heard Dr. Feelgood -
Down By The Jetty , some Brinsley , 101'ers etc

Any ideas on a nice Pubrocksampler
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Re: Pub Rock
Mar 17, 2013, 11:00
Ducks Deluxe were always good as were Eddie and The Hot Rods. The BBC4 Friday night totally British 70's Rock has a good selection.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 17, 2013, 11:44
Mar 17, 2013, 11:26
1001realapes wrote:
Finally scored a copy of the Naughty Rhythms
comp , it now sits next to my other PR comps ,
Pub Rock : Paving The Way For Punk , & Goodbye
Nashville Hello Camden Town .

My collection of proper albums is a bit
small , have most of the Chilli Willies ,
& Kilburn's - 'Handsome' lp

First two Graham Parker records are fantastic as is the live at Marble Arch official bootleg thing from the same period. I had a big soft spot for Roogalator though have not played the records in ages. I remember Bees Make Honey being good live. No idea if they ever recorded. If you can find the Blast Furnace (aka CS Murray) single "South Of The River" that was pretty good but not heard that in years either. Hammersmith Gorrilas and Mike Spencer's Cannibals were really good live bands in that era but not sure if they were pub rock. They played in pubs! Then there were the soul contingent - Kokomo, Maggie Reilly's Cado Belle, Moon (with Noel McCalla) and such like and the Jess Roden Band of course who never played pubs as far as I can remember but had that stripped down British approach to American music without the vapid west coast session slickness. I bought Jess Roden's budget price live album on Island the same day as White Riot so things were still pretty fluid in the spring of 77. Perhaps not what you are after though. Other than the hordes of r&b acts there were also lots and lots of bands who wanted to sound like Little Feat but had not the material nor the talent for it. Cheese cloth almost mandatory.
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

Mar 17, 2013, 13:06
[/quote]
Cheese cloth almost mandatory.[/quote]

And there's the perfect title for the sampler!
Wiggy
1696 posts

Mar 18, 2013, 10:03
Although they were American, you would have to include The Flamin' Groovies.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 18, 2013, 10:08
IanB wrote:
1001realapes wrote:

First two Graham Parker records are fantastic as is the live at Marble Arch official bootleg thing from the same period. I had a big soft spot for Roogalator though have not played the records in ages. I remember Bees Make Honey being good live. No idea if they ever recorded. If you can find the Blast Furnace (aka CS Murray) single "South Of The River" that was pretty good but not heard that in years either. Hammersmith Gorrilas and Mike Spencer's Cannibals were really good live bands in that era but not sure if they were pub rock. They played in pubs! Then there were the soul contingent - Kokomo, Maggie Reilly's Cado Belle, Moon (with Noel McCalla) and such like and the Jess Roden Band of course who never played pubs as far as I can remember but had that stripped down British approach to American music without the vapid west coast session slickness. I bought Jess Roden's budget price live album on Island the same day as White Riot so things were still pretty fluid in the spring of 77. Perhaps not what you are after though. Other than the hordes of r&b acts there were also lots and lots of bands who wanted to sound like Little Feat but had not the material nor the talent for it. Cheese cloth almost mandatory.

Ah Roogalator, wouldn't mind hearing some after all these years. Just had a look on Amazon - £95 for Cincinnati Fatback 8-|
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 18, 2013, 10:10
naughtynige wrote:

Cheese cloth almost mandatory.

And there's the perfect title for the sampler!

Haha! Absolutely!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Mar 18, 2013, 10:12
How about some Count Bishops?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 18, 2013, 12:47
Mar 18, 2013, 12:45
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
1001realapes wrote:

Ah Roogalator, wouldn't mind hearing some after all these years. Just had a look on Amazon - £95 for Cincinnati Fatback 8-|

Gulp! Did they have something to do with Any Trouble? All that music tends to blend into one imaginary evening in the Nashville or Hope & Anchor after a while. Shows how exceptional the likes of Parker, Dury, Wilko, Costello and even Joe Jackson were in developing something so unique to themselves and so uniquely English out of such a largely derivative and American influenced scene.
ricky nadir
ricky nadir
78 posts

Edited Mar 18, 2013, 17:24
Mar 18, 2013, 17:20
Squid Tempest wrote:
How about some Count Bishops?

I really love the first Count Bishops on Chiswick although it is very simple R'n'B but true to the heart.

Also recommended:
Legend - Red Boot Album
Legend - Moonshine
Kursaal Flyers - Golden Mile (produced in cinemascope by Mike Batt)

Good albums to have a beer (or two) ;-)

Ahh, one more. There were several really good singles by Lew Lewis on Stiff.
Have them in my 45-box somewhere.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index