2057 posts

Re: Woden
Sep 26, 2012, 17:02
Not hanging by the neck.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 26, 2012, 17:34
Isn't the classic tarot hanging man usually upside down, hanging from his ankle?
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Sep 26, 2012, 17:38
IanB wrote:
riverman wrote:
IanB wrote:
riverman wrote:
IanB wrote:
[quote="Moon Cat"]

Let me know how it compares with Odin (my favourite Cope record after Jehovahkill).

At the risk of repeating another of my posts on this thread you may need to wait a few years for my opinion!

Ha! It's one of the great tube journey listening albums. That's what converted me to its charms. Got to the point where underground was the place where "Odin" made the most sense. Some of Squid's stuff falls into the same category as does "Catch-Wave" and "August 1974". I play them all above ground but put me on the Northern Line with an iPod and they grow an extra dimension.

You must get to Morden and back listening to Odin! Would like to hear Catch-Wave.

Quite so! I mention the Northern Line as the gloomiest of the lot but it actually sounds pretty good on the new uber modern single-carriage Met Line trains too though I can't say I have ever finished Odin in a single journey. Do either of us have the other's mail addy?

Sorry, missed this - start of term so a hectic start to the week. I don't have your email (if that's a mail addy?) but is it on Mooncat's relatively recent group email and obvious to find?

Been working at home today and Woden arrived. It's different to Odin but sounding great on first couple of plays (though just on my ipod dock speaker so far as I'm working at my computer). In Cope's description he refers to the sentimental mellotrons towards the end, it's actually about 30 mins worth and is gorgeous, with the Yatesbury bells, bird song and some drones as well. It just immediately hit the pit of my stomach. Bliss!
stray
stray
2057 posts

Sep 26, 2012, 17:40
yep. Which does relate to the myth of odin recieving the runes, but prolly could apply to another myth. Or it could just be an archetype thingy related to the general meaning of the card.
MARTASE
MARTASE
603 posts

Sep 26, 2012, 18:45
bladup wrote:
MARTASE wrote:
Mine's just arrived! Ahhhhh... Now to find that right moment to play... Not gonna rush it...

As an aside I notice on the cover the silhouette of a figure hanging from the tree.. by the neck! Odin? Surely not! 9 days hanging ON the tree maybe... Is there a mythical reference I'm missing? Is this artistic license? or just misconception? Seems a bit crass.

Perhaps a case of Revolutionary Suicide.

Yes that's woden/odin hanging on that there tree, get your moment right and get ready to go deep.

Being ready is right! Despite my resolve to not rush it I stuck in on in the car as I drove over the Mendip hills a few hours ago. Fool me. Woden ain't for a casual listen it would seem and the first 15 mins are about as accessible as Dartmoor in heels. Wow an enforced Journey to the Centre of a Burning Earth more like- deepest darkest earth energies abound and threaten to tear your soul apart. Would it ever end? A transformative transcending trip but not for no faint hearts! Did I need that? I tell you the effect on perceptions of landscape/skyscape were profound. Had to stop the car and just feel the desolate magnificence of all: me- the world. Then, just as acceptance began to dawn that this trip was a one-way ticket to Hell the bloody thing resolves! and as Bladup felt too the reward for that hellish journey is the serenest Spell of Bliss... Great Stuff!
Arbor
Arbor
35 posts

Sep 26, 2012, 19:09
Awl-Right! My copy arrived today. Very speedy delivery from HH! I can't wait to give it a listen, but am taking the advice of others and am trying not to rush in.

Thinking of London tube listening opportunities, I did a bit of quick research to try to find the deepest parts. According to wikipedia the Jubilee Line platforms at Westminster get the furthest below sea level at 32metres. So I might try a Jubilee Line excursion at the weekend if i can wait that long.

I do get more and more excited about these "from the treasure trove" releases by JC these days!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 26, 2012, 19:27
Yep and yep. Alfred Douglas notes that "In the Icelandic Sagas, which had been written down before the middle of the 13th centruy, the Norse god Odin described how he hanged himself on the World Ash in order to discover the mystic runes"...and goes on to point out that the Sumerian god Attis was hung in effigy every year on a pine tree...."the tree is a symbol of the mother as the source of all sustenance; those who die on the tree are therefore being reunited with their source, through which they may be reborn into new life".
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 26, 2012, 20:48
MARTASE wrote:
bladup wrote:
MARTASE wrote:
Mine's just arrived! Ahhhhh... Now to find that right moment to play... Not gonna rush it...

As an aside I notice on the cover the silhouette of a figure hanging from the tree.. by the neck! Odin? Surely not! 9 days hanging ON the tree maybe... Is there a mythical reference I'm missing? Is this artistic license? or just misconception? Seems a bit crass.

Perhaps a case of Revolutionary Suicide.

Yes that's woden/odin hanging on that there tree, get your moment right and get ready to go deep.

Being ready is right! Despite my resolve to not rush it I stuck in on in the car as I drove over the Mendip hills a few hours ago. Fool me. Woden ain't for a casual listen it would seem and the first 15 mins are about as accessible as Dartmoor in heels. Wow an enforced Journey to the Centre of a Burning Earth more like- deepest darkest earth energies abound and threaten to tear your soul apart. Would it ever end? A transformative transcending trip but not for no faint hearts! Did I need that? I tell you the effect on perceptions of landscape/skyscape were profound. Had to stop the car and just feel the desolate magnificence of all: me- the world. Then, just as acceptance began to dawn that this trip was a one-way ticket to Hell the bloody thing resolves! and as Bladup felt too the reward for that hellish journey is the serenest Spell of Bliss... Great Stuff!

It definitely takes you dowwwwwwn and then you realise that down can be beautiful, as in norse mythlogy hel is really a beautiful pagan goddess as well as place, it's a true pagan record as in it takes you dowwwwwwn and then beauty, if the first shitty christian music was to take you up to their "heaven", this is the opposite of that and like you said this takes you down to hell, it's just that when you get there you realise the person/thing or place is beautiful.
Brik
589 posts

Sep 26, 2012, 21:20
Just got back and just got mine. Looking forward to hearing Woden (or rather Noizee B & MC Toddler's Angels and Demons (?)) with brews and smokes after me tea. Proper in the mood and proper giddy!

I'm safe to assume this is the album #2 of 2012? Just in case with it being a dug up recording y'know.
Bov
Bov
181 posts

Sep 26, 2012, 22:02
Just finished my first listen now. It's flipping lovely.

First half is like a trip into the core of a planet sized, wood-veneered synthesiser which nobody has played a note on for centuries, but still draws power from somewhere.
Second half is like a blissful acid-trip at your own wedding with no annoying relations.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index