keith a
9574 posts

Re: Woden
Sep 23, 2012, 21:33
IanB wrote:
riverman wrote:
IanB wrote:
[quote="Moon Cat"]

Let me know how it compares with Odin (my favourite Cope record after Jehovahkill).

At the risk of repeating another of my posts on this thread you may need to wait a few years for my opinion!

Ha! It's one of the great tube journey listening albums. That's what converted me to its charms. Got to the point where underground was the place where "Odin" made the most sense. Some of Squid's stuff falls into the same category as does "Catch-Wave" and "August 1974". I play them all above ground but put me on the Northern Line with an iPod and they grow an extra dimension.

It's not amongst my favourite Cope albums TBH. I like it but unlike almost everybody else here I'd take My Nation Underground over it any day. That's not to say I don't like it, but it's a bit of time and place set for me. I thought it would work really well with Reiki, but it didn't. It seemed too dark. Loop Guru works really well it though!
common era
865 posts

Re: Hey common era
Sep 24, 2012, 10:06
Carlos wrote:
Hey common era, is there a bigger image of the artcover? I would like to put it on my blog, please.

I don't have the artwork on file as Holy McG created the packaging. Perhaps someone can send you a scan or photo once they receive a copy? I don't have a copy of it yet, but can oblige once I have one.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 24, 2012, 11:19
Sep 24, 2012, 10:59
riverman wrote:
IanB wrote:
riverman wrote:
IanB wrote:
[quote="Moon Cat"]

Let me know how it compares with Odin (my favourite Cope record after Jehovahkill).

At the risk of repeating another of my posts on this thread you may need to wait a few years for my opinion!

Ha! It's one of the great tube journey listening albums. That's what converted me to its charms. Got to the point where underground was the place where "Odin" made the most sense. Some of Squid's stuff falls into the same category as does "Catch-Wave" and "August 1974". I play them all above ground but put me on the Northern Line with an iPod and they grow an extra dimension.

You must get to Morden and back listening to Odin! Would like to hear Catch-Wave.

Quite so! I mention the Northern Line as the gloomiest of the lot but it actually sounds pretty good on the new uber modern single-carriage Met Line trains too though I can't say I have ever finished Odin in a single journey. Do either of us have the other's mail addy?
Carlos
Carlos
3885 posts

Sep 24, 2012, 13:11
Thanks dude, that would be fine. I've ordered mine but I'm a bit alergic about scans and stuff like that if you know what I mean.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2012, 14:17
Sep 26, 2012, 13:02
It's fucking great, beautiful, deep ambient music [ or ambulent as julian calls it ], closest to queen elizabeth in style [not as much like odin as i thought it would be], but to me seems more beautiful, you can almost hear julian entering the underworld [ of where he hasn't yet returned ], if anybody is in doubt i say buy this motherfucker as it's that good, and like odin they could be hard [ and expensive ] to get hold of in the future, i can see why he kept this for himself all those years as it really does feel like a beautiful tool for meditation, i could imagine it sounding great driving though some beautiful mountains, or even put you in some beautiful mountains, even though you may still be home at the time, i started a thread a bit ago "The greatest ambient works ever" and he may even have just ran off laughing with that title [ it may be that good ], and last but not least it makes you want to hit play again as soon as it's finished [ which is always a good quality test ], as it makes you feel very good indeed [ i'm that relaxed i no longer want to take the dogs out, i just want to play it again! ], if you like this sort of thing, this really is a none brainer!!! i say buy it before it disappears into the underworld itself, it's 2012 everyone and what a way to mark it.
Carlos
Carlos
3885 posts

Sep 26, 2012, 14:24
I'm even more excited now! Thanks!
MARTASE
MARTASE
603 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2012, 14:25
Woden
Sep 26, 2012, 14:25
Mine's just arrived! Ahhhhh... Now to find that right moment to play... Not gonna rush it...

As an aside I notice on the cover the silhouette of a figure hanging from the tree.. by the neck! Odin? Surely not! 9 days hanging ON the tree maybe... Is there a mythical reference I'm missing? Is this artistic license? or just misconception? Seems a bit crass.

Perhaps a case of Revolutionary Suicide.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2012, 14:57
Sep 26, 2012, 14:56
MARTASE wrote:
Mine's just arrived! Ahhhhh... Now to find that right moment to play... Not gonna rush it...

As an aside I notice on the cover the silhouette of a figure hanging from the tree.. by the neck! Odin? Surely not! 9 days hanging ON the tree maybe... Is there a mythical reference I'm missing? Is this artistic license? or just misconception? Seems a bit crass.

Perhaps a case of Revolutionary Suicide.

Yes that's woden/odin hanging on that there tree, get your moment right and get ready to go deep.
MARTASE
MARTASE
603 posts

Sep 26, 2012, 15:01
Thanks. Yeah much needed! x
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 26, 2012, 15:03
The Hanging Man in the tarot is Odin.