2387 posts

Edited Apr 23, 2012, 14:25
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 April 2012 CE
Apr 22, 2012, 03:09
A large stack of Omar Rodriguez Lopez albums

High Wolf - Japan Tour cdr

High Wolf - Japan Tour tape

Can - Future Days

Edgar Froese - Solo 1974 - 1983: The Virgin Years (4cd)

Edgar Froese - Macula Transfer

Acid Mothers Temple - Son Of A Bitches Brew

Ghost (Sweden) - Here Comes The Sun (track)

Mastodon - Leviathan

Mastodon - Crack The Skye

Mastodon - Hunter

Levon Helm - Dirt Farmer

Annapurna Illusion - Life Is An Illusion

raison d'etre - When the Earth Dissolves in Ashes (Live 2010 / 2011)

Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Merzbow - Kamadhenu
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 April 2012 CE
Apr 22, 2012, 10:08
Marianne Faithful - It's all over now baby blue

Simon and Garfunkel - Bookends

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Water

Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence

Pink FLoyd - Zabriskie Point

Led Zep - Demos and outtakes

Hawkwind - Live '79
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Apr 22, 2012, 10:17
Coil: The Hellraiser Tapes

The Unthanks: Here's The Tender Coming

Jim Causley: Dumnonia
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Apr 22, 2012, 13:26
Tangerine Dream 'Ultima Thule' 45 and 'Zeit' (incredible to think that these were contemporaneous, so wildly different are they);
Al Stewart 'Bedsitter Images'
Peter Hammill 'Enter k'
Saxon 'Power and the Glory'
Anti-Pasti 'The Last Call'
Wire 'Pink Flag'
The Clash 'London Calling'
Nils Lofgren 'Night After Night'
Jah Wobble 'Betrayal' and 'Dreadlock Don't Deal In Wedlock'
Fred Frith 'Guitar Solos'
Henry Threadgill 'Spirit of Nuff...Nuff'
Radu Lupu playing late Schubert
Helmut Walcha playing Bach
Bryden Thomson's understated Vaughan Williams Fourth.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2012, 13:39
Apr 22, 2012, 13:38
Mark Fry Dreaming With Alice
HAzy slightly out of focus production on early 70s folk meets rock lp. Record was recorded in Italy by fry, still a teenager with artistic ambitions and a Scottish rock band. Not sure if they'd had much contact before the recording but it does come out pretty well. HAs some nice long instrumental textures that sound like sitar, also remind me of the velvets in places. weight of the raga or something.

Peter Hammill In Camera
Dark Solo lp by HAmmill joined by some of his VDGG fellows at times. I think the solo stuff works pretty well, that is the couple of tracks where he is just accommanied by his own acoustic guitar playing and the 3 Peel session tracks with him alone at piano. Had wondered if I wanted to get the other nearly completely solo lps & on this basis most probably.
Anyway the furrow that Hamill was working in the mid 70s does seem to have been a very productive one whichever instrumental combination he was working in.
Do think I just prefer the fuller band stuff though.
So got Silent Corner on my wants list, also Chameleon, wondering about the later stuff, already having Nadir & all the 70s VDG(G).

Ornette Coleman Complete Science Fiction sessions disc1
Great avanty jazz stuff from the early 70s by Ornette with various accompanists including the reunited Atlantic era group. Gets quite psychedelic in places. Think i'm particularly taken with Rock The Clock
because of the electric sounding bass, plus its the one where Ornette himself is getting very out there with trumpet and violin.
This being the complete sessions the last 2 tracks on the cd are the first 2 from broken Shadows which wasn't released until a decade later but comes from the same sessions.
Disc also starts with a pretty cosmic number with female vocals.
The only track i'd been familiar with prior to getting this was the title one which turned up on a Kevin Martin complied 2cd in the mid 90s.
This seems to be a lot easier to get hold of from the States than this side of the atlantic.

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats Blood lust
Stoner rock concept lp about a Psycho. really enjoyable lp. Very surprised it hasn't appeared on other people's SOOLs, or at least the search engine hasn't returned any other mention.
Thought there would be people on here all over this and I'd be the last person to hear about things like this. This was another thing iI heard about through Optical Sound. I think their own website is still selling copies of this on cd
http://www.svartrecords.com/shoppe/cds-free-shipping-worldwide/725-uncle-acid-and-the-deadbeats-blood-lust-cd.html
while Rise Above have sold out of a couple of vinyl pressings

Bebop Spoken Here
one of the 4 discs from the Proper box, not sure which number but it has a green cover. So is a mix of instrumental and vocal tracks from the height of the bebop craze in the 40s. has bits of Dizzy Gillespie scatting which is always fun.

Jane's Addiction Ritual de lo Habitual
Their 3rd lp, upbeat offbeat rock from LA in the late 80s. I somehow didn't get into their material until years after the fact despite having been at the ICA show where their dry ice set off the fire alarms and the audience had to traipse out into the winter cold of the Mall. Think the show itself was pretty enjoyable.
Is there a deluxe remaster of this around? Might indulge if so.

Tully Sea of Joy
australian hippy folk band from turn of the 70s. I think this might be the soundtrack for a film, it's interspersed with pretty atmospheric instrumentals.

as per usual, not remembering everything I've listened to over this week. Other bits may come back to me later.

Plus hours of things cropping up at random through my walkman. SO loads of Italian prog, zeuhl, jazz, country, rockabilly, blues, r'n'r, Gun Club, Cramps, psychedelia, Sonic youth, folk etc etc.

Reading
Everybody Loves Our Town by Mark Yarm
oral history of Seattle and grunge. very interesting. Has made me want to check out some stuff like U-Men, Cat Butt, SOundgarden and possibly Alice iN Chains & relisten to Mudhoney, Screaming Trees and Tad.
Also wonder why there was so much space given to Candlebox and Courtney Love.

Retromania Simon reynolds
sort of enjoyiing this but have noticed a couple of places where I think he has his facts wrong. Might make a marked effort to read a lot more of it today, feeling a bit under the weather.

watching
bits and pieces of various things
Not Going Out
finding this pretty funny, not really been acquainted with it before. But one of the cable channels is running a lot of it recently.

Man vs Food
again something I've not been acquainted with though I've heard the name. Kind of fun.
Has me wondering about a few things like the timespace an episode is filmed over. Continuity has it suggesting that things are happening on the same day per episode but i can't see that Adam guy being able to undergo challenges without at least a couple of days between, unless he has a rock iron gut, Eve undergoing a heat challenge onits own would tend to require a day of resting your gut afterwards surely, On the couple I've seen he's doing a heat challenge then later a sizeof portion to consume one.

Geronimo
Drag with this was a lack of subtitles for when they were speaking apache. Might have something to do with it being shown on the Gaelic channel so they didn't want to use english subtitles?
Seems an ok film otherwise.

Mallrats
was puzzled by the presence of Stan Lee in a film not based on a Marvel comic. Otherwise,glad I've finally seen this & hoping I get to see Clerks next week.

Stevo
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2012, 15:31
Apr 22, 2012, 15:20
Spiritualized Sweet Heart Sweet Light
Better than I feared but lacking in the kind of sparkle that would have me pulling it out ahead of LGM or LAGWAFIS

Stones It's Only Rock 'N Roll
Recommendable mainly for the fantastic Mick Taylor solo on Time Waits For No One and the bass on Fingerprint File

The Band - Rock of Ages
This was bought for me by accident when I was 12 (I wanted Made in Japan) and over the course of that winter I learned to love it once I got past the no riffs, no long solos, no capes thing. This live album and the History of Fairport Convention double (which was my sister's) were hugely influential on what I listened to thereafter. Far more than the effect either Dylan or Neil Young had on me. Both the cd versions I have heard of Rock of Ages lack the gorgeous woody earthiness of the original and the expanded version adds nothing but padding so if you have a turntable and can get it on vinyl that's the way to go. And how great were Richard Manuel and Rick Danko?

Black Crowes - Six Filmore shows 2010 & Before The Frost ... Until The Freeze
Imagine Mick Taylor joining the Burritos and then popping off to do Manassas with Steven Stills instead of hooking up with Mick n Keith. That's kind of what this adds up to. Some of the best country-folk flavoured rock performances since the late 60s Stones except that you don't have to listen around the singer's accent.

Rip Rig & Panic - I Am Cold, Attitude & God
How much longer must they tolerate not getting their due? Beefheart meets Liberation Music Ensemble. What's not to like Post Punkers?

Heartbreakers - L.A.M.F. The Lost '77 Mixes
Sounds waaay better than I remember.

Charlie Daniels - Fire on the Mountain
Not Skynyrd but not an album of cliches either.

OST - Cave Of Forgotten Dreams
Soundtrack to Herzog's Paleolithic cave documentary. Suitably spooky.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 22, 2012, 16:24
Les Rhythms Digitales - Liberation
Pythia - The Serpent's Curse
Hedvig Mollestad Trio - Shoot
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet?
Lacuna Coil - Karmacode
KISS - Sonic Boom
Thin Lizzy - Vagabonds, Kings, Warriors, Angels. Discs 1 & 2
Boulder - Ravage & Savage
Solus 3 - The Sky Above The Roof
Berlioz - Symphony Fantastique
Get The Blessing - OC DC
Astra - The Weirding
VDGG - Pawn Hearts
REM - Accelerate
Underworld - Beacoup Fish
Dead Sea Apes - Soy Dios
Linda Perhacs - Parellelograms

Plus some other bits n pieces on the way.

Have a nice week earthlings. x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Apr 22, 2012, 19:40
John Coltrane- Ole Coltrane

John Coltrane / Milt Jackson- Bags and Trane

The Pretty Things- first album

The Pretty Things- Closed Restaurant Blues (compilation drawn from the second and third albums, plus associated singles)

Jackson C Frank- S/T

Soccer 96- S/T (local band with terrible name, but not bad sounding- like an 8 bit Holy Fuck)

Hush Arbors / Arbouretum- Aureola (split LP, my album of the year so far)

Sylvester Anfang II- Perzische Tabijten (a close second!)

Field Music- Plumb (maybe number three?)

The Pre New- Music for People Who Hate Themselves (streamed via the Quietus; good stuff from the ex Earl Brutus / World of Twist boys)

The Amboy Dukes- Survival of the Fittest Live

Hawkwind- Astounding Sounds Amazing Music

Blues Control- Valley Tangents

Beth Jeans Houghton- Yours Truly, Cellophane Nose

Julian Cope- Psychedelic Revolution

Mark Stewart- Politics of Envy

White Hills- Frying on this Rock

Lee Ranaldo- Between the Times and the Tides

The Ohio Express- Chewy Chewy

Fela Kuti- Shakara

Paper Dollshouse- A Box that's Painted Black

Fuxa- The Electric Sound of Summer

The Soft Hills- The Bird is Coming Down to Earth

Two Wings- Love's Spring

The Pooh Sticks- Great White Wonder (saw them live last night- they were great, but I can't believe they didn't play 'Desperado' from this album!)

Comus- Out of the Coma (actually, maybe this is the third best album of the year)

The Nightingales- No Love Lost (and this is pretty great too)

The Soundcarriers- Celeste

Jack Kerouac- the Complete Collection

Van Morrison- Moondance (lovely, but I still can't quite forgive Van for using the word 'fantabulous' in the title track)

Jefferson Airplane- After Bathing at Baxters

Lords of Falconry- S/T

Soulsavers- The Light the Dead See (Dave Gahan on vox, and Brain Donor's own Doggen and Kevlar on guitar and drums... gospel tinged grandiosity).
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 22, 2012, 19:51
New Spiritualized - I like it, can't say it breaks new ground though, is it me or does the last track go all Oasis just before the fade
New Bong - really liking this,more airy than previous releases IMHO
Klaus Schulze - La vie Electronique 8 & 9
Tim Buckley - Anthology
Deep Purple - Book of Taelisyn
Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind
Earthless - Live on spotify - long live track this is how long it takes to put up a set of Ikea Blomquist drawers
Kiss - Double Platinum ooh bit controversial
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
Marillion - Fugazi
Fugazi - Red Medicine
The Ruts - Grin & Bear It, The Crack
One Way System - One Way System basic 3 chord punk but this lp has a guitar sound that is immense
Luxuria - Beast Box
Aztec Camera - High Land Hard Rain
Runaways - Live In Japan
Fuzztones - Lysergic Emnations, Live In Europe
Cramps - Rockin' n Reelin' in Auckland New Zealand
Heaven & Hell - Live In Wacken
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 22, 2012, 20:02
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

The Amboy Dukes- Survival of the Fittest Live

White Hills- Frying on this Rock

Shame Mr Nugent is such a tool as he has been on some amazing LPs.

reminds me I've been listening to Frying on this Rock quite a bit this week, not rocking my boat as much as the s/t and HP1 but still a cut above most new stuff I've heard recently
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index