Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 April 2012 CE
Apr 23, 2012, 12:25
machineryelf wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

The Amboy Dukes- Survival of the Fittest Live

White Hills- Frying on this Rock

Shame Mr Nugent is such a tool as he has been on some amazing LPs.

Tis sad but true. Seems to be getting toolier as he gets older too. One of those cases where it's nigh on mandatory to separate the artist from the work in order to enjoy it.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Apr 23, 2012, 13:39
Moon Cat wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Tis sad but true. Seems to be getting toolier as he gets older too. One of those cases where it's nigh on mandatory to separate the artist from the work in order to enjoy it.

Probably a good idea to separate the artist from his guns too. And possibly his tool while you're at it.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 23, 2012, 13:44
Squid Tempest wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Probably a good idea to separate the artist from his guns too. And possibly his tool while you're at it.

So he's not packin or tooled up?
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Apr 23, 2012, 15:57
^agree. Really, ICP's music isn't as bad as it's made out to be. They're not very good but not terrible - and yes, somewhat entertaining. Their fans ARE as bad as they're made out to be. Trust me, I'm from Michigan.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Apr 23, 2012, 16:03
keith a wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

Goat - Goatman
Dalai Lama Rama Fa Fa fa - You Make Me Crazy
T. Rex - Telegram Sam / Metal Guru (blue RSD 7")

These three 7" have reminded me why the single was such a great format.

I've found I've been buying more and more 7" singles these past few years. I love the format although some might say that this is my mid-life crisis equivalent of a big shiny red sports car.

Not heard the Dalai Lama... one but that Goat single is great. And although in the great scheme of things I don't exactly need another copy if Telegram Sam or Metal Guru I'm just a tiny bit jealous of you here!

Haha! I know what you mean about the midlife crisis thing, but they do work bloody well in 7" format. And it is such FUN putting on individual tracks as individual records. With the proviso you have the time, of course, otherwise it's back to albums and CDs.
kgmz
18 posts

Apr 23, 2012, 16:46
Seeings all I have done on the forum so far is try and flog my own tat, here's my soundtrack to the week:

Zomby - Where Were U In '92 (something of a guilty pleasure as someone who grew up on rave music)

Groundhogs - Hogwash (the great lost 'Hogs album seriously overdue a reissue and a reappraisal)

Skull Kontrol - Zzzzz / Deviate Beyond All Means Of Capture (2 amazing punk rock EPs that stand up to repeated listenings like few others)

The Fall - Peel Sessions Box (like a bottomless box of delights)

Zomes - Improvisations (swirling meditative keyboard denseness)

Pontiak - Maker (not got the new LP yet so got some catching up to do but maybe the only current rock band truly on the same page of bizarre stylistic changes that the Groundhogs were on)

Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea (Album of Junior Kimbrough covers and related songs - heaviest bass sound ever recorded. I know it's Buddy Guy but some of this is immense)

Cantaloupe - EP (new release from Nottm synth band, super camp krautrock grooves and that's meant as a positive)

Yep, slow day at work.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Apr 23, 2012, 17:27
I just think the whole ICP phenomenon is quite interesting, especially that it's continued to remain popular. In fact, it's probably better the kids get into relatively-positive-if-vulgar stuff like ICP than that far more offensive NSBM/"Rock Against Communism" BS... Anything that teaches respect for other races and sticking-up-for-your-friends can only be a good thing.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Apr 23, 2012, 19:16
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Soulsavers- The Light the Dead See (Dave Gahan on vox, and Brain Donor's own Doggen and Kevlar on guitar and drums... gospel tinged grandiosity).

MMM, tasty, potentially... only managed to track down the single longest day off the internet thus far which is ok.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Apr 23, 2012, 19:31
Welcome aboard! I wouldn't worry about the self-promo thing. A number of people here will be pleased to get an advance head-up on the Hookworms/Kogumaza split, me included. Just listened to the download and it is really rather splendid. Thanks!
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Apr 23, 2012, 20:27
there's no way kids are going to get into RAC stuff anyway, unless they're into the shock value of it. A lot of that stuff is either shitty, shitty sounding or both. There's a lot of great NSBM though: Nokturnal Mortum (well, certain albums), Dub Buk, Gontyna Kry, Graveland (pre-2000), Branikald, Wolfnacht (first album), Fullmoon, to name a few (well, to name most of the ones I listen to actually but I'm sure there's others).

But uh, you're overlooking all the violence and misogyny in ICP's lyrics there haha. Sometimes they sneak in some anti-racism and their pseudo-Christian slant (but usually in a 'we're all going to hell and the world will end' kind of way) but most of it is about violence and ignorance ha.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index