Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 December 2011 CE

62 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 December 2011 CE
Dec 19, 2011, 10:00
Bring The Exhibits, Part The Second of Four: Golden The Ship Was - Oh! Oh! Oh! – Dressed In Wires
The act who once released an ep called The Big Black Cock Of Death are back! Patchy, at times pretty unlistenable and then ends with two really good tracks.

Ersatz GB – The Fall
This is really growing on me. Taking Off is fab and Monocard has a riff that is so doomy it wouldn’t be out of place on the first Black Sabbath album.

Forge A New Noize – Gestalt
The likes of DAF, The Normal and Joy Division spring to mind at various times, but the two highlights for me, however, are the two punkiest numbers. Razorblade (To Your Mind’s Eye) with its infectious “we only wanted everything” hookline is almost impossible to get out of your head, and X Killer opens like Cabaret Voltaire’ s Nag Nag Nag, before the singer yells “there’s a panic in the air...” over a two chord thrash and a beat that matches his sense of urgency. It’s a great track!

Exitudes - Saso
I’d not heard of this Irish band before this album, but the opening number Billion Hands, is a fabulous introduction to any band. A soft double tracked voice croons over a muffled piano and a booming tom tom, and the track builds beautifully, sounding not unlike Hood if they had a slightly more athletic rhythm section. It’s so good that initially there was a danger that the rest of the album seemed slightly ant-climactic, but that concern didn’t last long because each listen of Exitudes appears to bring some new discovery. Spirit Of Eden Talk Talk and Sigur Rose spring to mind at times.

Also...
S/T - The Modern Lovers
Corner of the World – Solus 3
Fast Product-Mutant Pop 78~79 – V/A
The Sound Of The Crowd – V/A
The Coldest Winter For A Hundred Years – Wild Swans

Plus live stuff from John Fogerty and Glen Campbell, a Wire radio
session and a couple of Transglobal Underground singles.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index