IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 04, 2011, 20:00
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 December 2011 CE
Dec 04, 2011, 19:58
Popel Vooje wrote:
Solus 3 - Corner of the World
Arrived yesterday morning and it's marvellously eerie urban ambience is currently permeating my living room as I type. Not quite sure what musical bag to put it in - which is always a quality that guarantees repeated listens from me nowadays - although I can hear elements of trip-hop, jazz, dub, and some modern classical music. Noetheless, it's definitely to their credit that all these influences seem to merge seamlessly without ever sounding like a join-the-dots exercise in contrived eclecticism.

That's a lovely review. Thanks very much. We often have some basic ideas rhythmic and melodic knocking about from our sporadic rehearsals but virtually nothing is discussed in advance of the basic recordings and those are all one and two take exercises. Even the overdubs are done as spontaneously as possibe. So really glad that comes across. Cheers!
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 20:34
Freedom Hawk / Moving On (even better than their debut!)

Circle / Prospekt

Circle / Soundcheck

Electric Orange / Netto

Øresund Space Collective / Dead Man in Space

Øresund Space Collective / Glossolalia

Sula Bassana / Kosmonauts

Siena Root / Far From the Sun

Kawabata Makoto / The Return of the Ring

Wooden Shjips / West

Goblin / Soundtrack to Patrick

Fabio Frizzi / The Beyond

Forest Swords / Dagger Paths EP

Psychic Ills / Hazed Dream

Agitation Free / Shibuya Nights: Live in Tokyo

J.A. Caesar / Pilgrimage of Blood

Ennio Morricone / Macchie Solari

Gianni Ferrio / Una Farfalla Con Le Ali Insanguinate

Stelvio Cipriani / Solamente Nero

John Coltrane / Crescent

VdGG / Pawn Hearts

Spirits of the Dead / ST

Blood Ceremony / Living With the Ancients

You / Electric Day

Dead Man / ST

Opeth / Heritage

Samsara Blues Experiment / Long Distance Trip

Stone Axe / ST

MV & EE with the Bummer Road / Green Blues

Holy Sons / Criminal's Return

Eternal Tapestry / Beyond the 4th Door

Nicklas Barker / El Ultimo Fin De Semana

Bong / Live at Roadburn

Cave / Psychic Psummer
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 21:44
You two might be interested in my friends' band Borrowed Time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQbb2cFztSk
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Edited Dec 04, 2011, 21:46
Dec 04, 2011, 21:45
This week I av mostly been listening to ....sponge cake.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 21:47
Chaosmonger wrote:
You two might be interested in my friends' band Borrowed Time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQbb2cFztSk

Is that a Diamond Head reference?
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 21:57
Bert Jansch- Jack Orion

Bert Jansch- Birthday Blues

Bert Jansch- LA Turnaround

Luke Haines- Nine and a half Psychedelic Meditations on British Wrestling in the 1970s

Should- A Folding Sieve

Deardarkhead- Oceanside 1991-93 -those last two being reissues of obscure US shoegaze albums, pretty good if you like that sort of thing.

Devo- Freedom of Choice

B-Movie- Remembrance Days

Play Dead- First Flower

Party Day- Glasshouse

Party Day- Simplicity - two albums by a Barnsley-based post-punk / gothic outfit from the early-mid 80s who slipped through the net at the time: some pretty good stuff actually, sounding like a cross between Cure / Chameleons and The Mighty Wah, before descending into early Killing Joke territory.

Leo Ferre- Ete 68

Leo Ferre- Amour Anarchie - anyone? French chansonnier who began his career in the 30s/40s, was friends with Piaf and Andre Breton, a poet and committed anarchist who was nevertheless successful enough to buy his own private island, where he lived with a houseful of chimpanzees. By the late 60s he was aligning himself with the youth revolt, the beatniks and the hippies, was hanging out with the Moody Blues and namechecking them in song, and on the truly strange 'Amour Anarchie' (from 1970) he's backed on two tracks by French prog band Zoo, who lend a Gainsbourgian ambience to his always impassioned rants and croons. This is all I know about this guy, and even that may be wrong, but I found these albums in a charity shop and they're great, if you like that kind of Scott Walker / Jacques Brel melodrama.

Green on Red- The Killer Inside of Me

Jack Frost (Steve Kilbey of The Church with Grant Mclennan of the Go-Betweens, in 1991)- S/T

Spacemen 3- Recurring

Richard and Linda Thompson- Pour Down Like Silver

Boy Friend- Egyptian Wrinkle -out next year- Cocteaus-esque dream pop / chillwave courtesy of two young girls from Texas. Nice.
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 22:04
yep and Mercyful Fate: "You're only living on borrowed time from your fate!"
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 22:06
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Leo Ferre- Amour Anarchie - anyone? French chansonnier who began his career in the 30s/40s, was friends with Piaf and Andre Breton, a poet and committed anarchist who was nevertheless successful enough to buy his own private island, where he lived with a houseful of chimpanzees. By the late 60s he was aligning himself with the youth revolt, the beatniks and the hippies, was hanging out with the Moody Blues and namechecking them in song, and on the truly strange 'Amour Anarchie' (from 1970) he's backed on two tracks by French prog band Zoo, who lend a Gainsbourgian ambience to his always impassioned rants and croons. This is all I know about this guy, and even that may be wrong, but I found these albums in a charity shop and they're great, if you like that kind of Scott Walker / Jacques Brel melodrama.

Wow! Sounds like quite a find!
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 22:34
Couple of weeks worth:

Bee Mask - Elegy for Beach Friday. Great drone based electronica. Will give the speakers a serious work out. I would think that anyone who likes Tim Hecker, Ben Frost etc will go for this.

Larry Coryell with The Wild Hive Players - s/t After enjoying the recent Free Spirits Live at the Scene,from 1967 wondered what Larry was up to these days. Didn't quite expect something as good as this. I've no idea who the Wild Hive Players are but this is a delight. Funky, jazzy, horns and yes fusion of sorts but rooted in soul and R&B and miles away from the wankety wank variety. Lovely cover as well.

Hedvig Mollestad Trio - Shoot! - Rune Grammofon is probably my favourite label at the moment and this is another great release from them. One of the best recorded guitar sounds I've heard in a long time. Essentially an instrumental power(ish) trio pitched somehere between Budgie and Casper Brotzmann with a few ECM type flourishes as well.

Otherwise what I remember:

Faust - s/t

Faust - The Faust Tapes

YNiwl - s/t This one growing on me all the time. Welsh surf twang.

Tomorrow - s/t (Steve Howe pre Yes, Twink, My White Bycycle etc).

Beach Boys - Smile

Alice Coltrane - A Monastic Trio

Eric Dolphy - Last Date

Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow

Ashra - New Age of Earth

Jean-Claude Eloy - Gaku-No-Michi

Pierre Henry - Le livre des morts égyptien

Richard Chartier - Transparency

Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial

Russian Circles - Empros

Tim Hecker - Atlas

Have a great week all.