Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 December 2011 CE

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
maxim
5 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 December 2011 CE
Dec 04, 2011, 13:55
David Lynch.Crazy Clown Time (many times)
The Fall.Are You Are Missing Winner
Barclay James Harvest.Octoberon
Psychic TV/PTV3.Mother Sky Vs Alien Sky
Tom Waits.Closing Time
Tom Waits.Small Change
Dr. Alimantado.The Best Dressed Chicken In Town
Hawkwind.In The Hall Of The Mountain Grill
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2011, 20:53
Dec 04, 2011, 14:15
Solus 3 - Corner of the World
Arrived yesterday morning and it's marvellously eerie urban ambience is currently permeating my living room as I type. Not quite sure what musical bag to put it in - which is always a quality that guarantees repeated listens from me nowadays - although I can hear elements of trip-hop, jazz, dub, and some modern classical music. Noetheless, it's definitely to their credit that all these influences seem to merge seamlessly without ever sounding like a join-the-dots exercise in contrived eclecticism.

Emitt Rhodes - Fresh as a Daisy (The Best of the Dunhill Years)
Former Merry-Go-Round bandleader turns one-man studio auteur in the vein of Paul McCartney's first two solo albums or Todd Rundgren's Runt, only with less of an over-eagerness to show how much he can do and better songwriting than either, at least on the early stuff. Seems he stopped performing for thirty years after losing a subatsntial amount of money fighting a lagal battle against a record company that sued him for not delivering an album every six months. Just goes to emphasise the importance of always reading the small print before signing.

White Denim - Last Day of Summer
Not getting this at all so far. Evidently another of those bands championed by the likes of Uncut magazine who think that music just stopped after 1975, despite the fact that the members were probably barely out of nappies by that time. Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be. I'll give this two or three three more listens and if it still does nothing for me it's going on my trade pile.

Disco Inferno - The Five E.P.s
Tis heartwarming to see a band whom I saw getting heckled and ridiculed as "pretentious fat bastards with computers" (by the members of their utterly shite support band) back in the day finally getting their due acknowledgement, even if it is 20 years too late. I think the time is ripe for someone to write a "Postrocksampler". If anyone fancies giving me a publishing deal...

The Golden Dawn - A Power Plant
Magnificent, classic Texas psych, and definitely not mere Elevators knock-offs - a misperception that was only caused by International Artists holdiong up its release so that they could put out "Easter Eveywhere" first
(even though it was recorded afterwards). Maybe this will one day get the deluxe edition mono/stereo treatment that IA are currently lavishing on the Elevators and the Red Crayola.

Also mentioned in dispatches:
Camper Van Beethoven - II and III
Tortoise - Standards
The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request (mono edition bootleg)
Shelagh Mc Donald - Let No Man Steal Your Thyme
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2011, 20:46
Dec 04, 2011, 14:18
IanB wrote:

Black Tempest - Supernormal Recordings
Have been saving this for a stupidly long, one-day work trip to the west country but sneaked a listen to the first disc and it is another post-Ricochet TDream-esque cracker from the dark ritual side of Bikini Bottom. If only TD were still making records like this themselves ...

Haven't hard this as yet - I'm about to order it today - but that's exactly what I thought on hearing the two Proxima discs and "Secret Astronomies".
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 14:28
IanB wrote:

Steelwing - Lord of the Wasteland
Genius homage to NWOBHM from the frozen north courtesy of Mooncat (thanks!). They have all the non musical attributes - Nordic metal tresses, acres of stretch demin, white hi-tops, one member whose look doesn't quite fit, 2000AD sleevage and a classic early 80s metal logo. Sometimes listening to some young 'uns revisiting musical ground that the originators themselves have tired of is a wonderful thing. And who doesn't need a little Saxon / Maiden meet Marc Storace in their lives?

Glad you like. And don't forget, the bassist is called Skurk! The sleeve is by a guy called Ed Repka, American I think, who is the current go-to-guy for lovingly executed retro-now metal sleeves. When Solus 3 do their metal album, he's your man!
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Edited Dec 04, 2011, 14:54
Dec 04, 2011, 14:54
Dubmerge: 'Wake Up!'
A recent secondhand bargain. I don't think this Worcester collective are still going, now - I saw them in a cloudy bar a few years ago, though.

Yeasayer: 'All Hour Cymbals'
One my keys player buddy slipped me. Quirky New York pop, with a lush dollop of World music thrown in. I can't tell whether its native American or eastern, really. Nice, though.

Radiohead: 'The Bends'
Not a duff track on this album, really. It's nice to revisit some old soundtracks to old chapters, once in a while.

Sparklehorse: 'Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot'
As above.

Leftfield: 'Rhythm & Stealth'
As above.

Apollo 440: 'Getting High On Your Own Supply'
As above.

Live: Gilad Atzmon
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 15:15
Moon Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:

Steelwing - Lord of the Wasteland
Genius homage to NWOBHM from the frozen north courtesy of Mooncat (thanks!). They have all the non musical attributes - Nordic metal tresses, acres of stretch demin, white hi-tops, one member whose look doesn't quite fit, 2000AD sleevage and a classic early 80s metal logo. Sometimes listening to some young 'uns revisiting musical ground that the originators themselves have tired of is a wonderful thing. And who doesn't need a little Saxon / Maiden meet Marc Storace in their lives?

Glad you like. And don't forget, the bassist is called Skurk! The sleeve is by a guy called Ed Repka, American I think, who is the current go-to-guy for lovingly executed retro-now metal sleeves. When Solus 3 do their metal album, he's your man!

How can you not like a metal band with a bassist called Skurk? Looks like I might have another purchase to make.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 15:17
Popel Vooje wrote:
Solus 3 - Corner of the World
Arrived yesterday morning and it's marvellously eerie urban ambience is currently permeating my living room as I type. Not quite sure what musical bag to put it in - which is always a quality that guarantees repeated listens from me nowadays - although I can hear elements of trip-hop, jazz, dub, and some modern classical music. Noetheless, it's definitely to their credit that all these influences seem to merge seamlessly without ever sounding like a join-the-dots exercise in contrived eclecticism.

^what he said^

Really good description of it Popel.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 15:30
Solus 3 - COrner of the World
Exactly how Popel describes it above.

Mugstar - Serra Remix
MMOB - Totems 1 & 2

Aqua Nebula Oscillator - Cave Recordings
Like a modern Syd-era Floyd only better than that sounds. Love this record.

Hookworms
Every bit as good as JC's review of it.

Mist - House
Brilliant double from Emeralds bloke. Really trippy sequenced electronic stuff.

The Heads/White Hills - Collisions split
Hadn't listened to this in a while and it still blows your head off.

Mugstar/Oneida - Colision split
Raaahg! Marvellous.

Gnod - InGnodWeTrust
One of my records of the year easily.

Expo 70 - Where Does Your Mind Go?
Fantastic big heavy slab of proggy impro guitar n stuff vinyl.

Stellar Om Source - Trilogy Select
Not as good as all the reviews I've read of it. Slightly sterile electronic stuff, unlike the Mist thing which exudes warmth and vitality.

The Bevis Frond - The Leaving of London
Cave - Neverendless
Utopia - Ra, Oops! Wrong Planet
The Cramps - Off The Bone
Mott the Hoople - All The Young Dudes
Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats & Heathen Earth
Nick Lowe - Labour of Lust
Lots of My Cat is an Alien
The Doors - S/T
Apocalypse Now - OST
The Indestructible Beat of Soweto Vol 1
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 17:12
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Elton John - Caribou

John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band

Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration

Füxa - Very Well Organized

Scott Walker - The Drift

Windy & Carl - Portal

Cardiacs - Sing To God 1 & 2

Bee Gees - Idea
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 17:38
Popel Vooje wrote:

Disco Inferno - The Five E.P.s
Tis heartwarming to see a band whom I saw getting heckled and ridiculed as "pretentious fat bastards with computers" (by the members of their utterly shite support band) back in the day finally getting their due acknowledgement, even if it is 20 years too late. I think the time is ripe for someone to write a "Postrocksampler". If anyone fancies giving me a publishing deal...

Pretty great. I've been hung up on the In Debt stuff for years and not looked further. On the strength of this I've been missing out. Saw them early on supporting the whipping Boy at the White Horse in Hampstead. They all had custom instruments which surprised me about reading the liner notes to the 5eps set. bass was headless, guitar looked very expensive. Thought they had well-to-do parents since they seemed pretty young. Looks like I was wrong, but still love that whatever Meat Puppets play Joy Division or Durutti Column shimmer of that early stuff. Must get myself the later stuff, oversight not to have already.
Che were really prescient in terms of who they signed. Or is that faulty memory? Did recognise Bark Psychosis at least & I wouldn't be here right now if I hadn't happened on the Whipping Boy on a Che bill at the Bull & Gate.
(thinking of which a MBV gig with the original singer is up on Dime at the moment. Caught that line-up there too.)

Popel Vooje wrote:

Ther Golden Dawn - A Power Plant
Magnificent, classic Texas psych, and definitely not mere Elevators knock-offs - a misperception that was only caused by International Artists holdiong up its release so that they could put out "Easter Eveywhere" first
(even though it was recorded afterwards). Maybe this will one day get the deluxe edition mono/stereo treatment that IA are currently lavishing on the Elevators and the Red Crayola.

Have been wondering about the recent reissue of this set since I love the lp. Was it just the 13FE mastertapes finally located or is this in better sound than the Get Back reissue?
Love the lysergic Monkees pop of a lot of this though my first contact with the band was the Starvation on the Radarscope e.p. of IA stuff

Stevo
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index