Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 December 2011 CE

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 December 2011 CE
Dec 04, 2011, 23:27
Dark Country Magic – Big Blood
This is really good. She-Wanderer, which I posted a link to elsewhere here recently, is the track I enjoyed hearing most this past week.

Ersatz GB – The Fall
Only played it once thus far, but sounding promising.

NY Muscle – Hell
The beats can get a bit hard going if you’re not in the mood, but Alan Vega is on pretty good form on a couple of tracks. Billie Ray Martin features, too.

No Thyself – Magazine
Shaping up nicely! Final Analysis Waltz sounding pretty damn fine.

Fundamental / Fundamentalism - Pet Shop Boys
Not their finest but I enjoyed hearing this one again.

[b]Corner of the World – Solus 3

Hami and Ian B are fast becoming the UK’s very own Sly & Robbie!

Rabbit Moon Revisited – Tarwater
Inside The Ships – Tarwater

Inside The Ships is another I've only heard the once so far. I dug RMR out afterwards, too. Not my fave of theirs but still really impressive.

Also lots of compilations...
All Africa Radio (NME)
Blow-Up UK (NME)
Bush Fire (NME)

Blimey. I hadn’t heard these in a long time! The jazzy Blow-Up compilation is not really my cup of tea TBH, although I really like the Working Week track. AAR isn’t bad at all, but it’s Bush Fire that really shines for me. Really good reggae compilation.

Fast Product-Mutant Pop 78~79 (1980)
Another I hadn’t heard in ages. The Mekons, Human League, Scars, etc. Good to hear the like of Where Were You and Circus Of Death again!

Mojo Music Guide Vol. 1 - Instant Garage
Mojo Music Guide Vol. 2 - Roots Of Hip Hop
Mojo Music Guide Vol. 3 - Raw Soul
Mojo Music Guide Vol. 4 - Blues Power

These cd’s came with Mojo circa 2003-04 and are really compilations with the Garage one being my fave – it’s always good to hear Gil Bateman’s My Daddy Walked In Darkness. The hip-hop one is perhaps a little more patchy than the others but still has its moments.

Also spent a bit of time listening to a couple each of my fave podcasts whilst doing some tidying. In My Room from a fellow Wire fan from the USA...
http://inmyroom.podbean.com/2011/11/24/black-friday-rock/

and Fat Latch from a fellow Wire fan over here... Anyone sensing a theme here? ; )
http://www.mixcloud.com/fatlatch/fat-latch-25/

I also listened to some old Kosmik Radiation shows, too. I particularly enjoyed the Beefheart one from earlier this year but also played the Royal Scam and the 2005 Zappa one’s. Enjoyed a lot of these, too, with the odd exception such as the Zappa and the more proggy stuff – and there was one track - Snoose Junction I think – that I thought would never end! I've only got a passing knowledge of FZ and haven’t really heard much for some time but hearing it now...well it sounds like something you might like when you’re 16 but that you really, really need to grow out of! But hats off, Dave. You helped making that tidying a less arduous task!
keith a
9574 posts

Dec 04, 2011, 23:27
Dark Country Magic – Big Blood
This is really good. She-Wanderer, which I posted a link to elsewhere here recently, is the track I enjoyed hearing most this past week.

Ersatz GB – The Fall
Only played it once thus far, but sounding promising.

NY Muscle – Hell
The beats can get a bit hard going if you’re not in the mood, but Alan Vega is on pretty good form on a couple of tracks. Billie Ray Martin features, too.

No Thyself – Magazine
Shaping up nicely! Final Analysis Waltz sounding pretty damn fine.

Fundamental / Fundamentalism - Pet Shop Boys
Not their finest but I enjoyed hearing this one again.

Corner of the World – Solus 3
Hami and Ian B are fast becoming the UK’s very own Sly & Robbie!

Rabbit Moon Revisited – Tarwater
Inside The Ships – Tarwater

Inside The Ships is another I've only heard the once so far. I dug RMR out afterwards, too. Not my fave of theirs but still really impressive.

Also lots of compilations...
All Africa Radio (NME)
Blow-Up UK (NME)
Bush Fire (NME)

Blimey. I hadn’t heard these in a long time! The jazzy Blow-Up compilation is not really my cup of tea TBH, although I really like the Working Week track. AAR isn’t bad at all, but it’s Bush Fire that really shines for me. Really good reggae compilation.

Fast Product-Mutant Pop 78~79 (1980)
Another I hadn’t heard in ages. The Mekons, Human League, Scars, etc. Good to hear the like of Where Were You and Circus Of Death again!

Mojo Music Guide Vol. 1 - Instant Garage
Mojo Music Guide Vol. 2 - Roots Of Hip Hop
Mojo Music Guide Vol. 3 - Raw Soul
Mojo Music Guide Vol. 4 - Blues Power

These cd’s came with Mojo circa 2003-04 and are really compilations with the Garage one being my fave – it’s always good to hear Gil Bateman’s My Daddy Walked In Darkness. The hip-hop one is perhaps a little more patchy than the others but still has its moments.

Also spent a bit of time listening to a couple each of my fave podcasts whilst doing some tidying. In My Room from a fellow Wire fan from the USA...
http://inmyroom.podbean.com/2011/11/24/black-friday-rock/

and Fat Latch from a fellow Wire fan over here... Anyone sensing a theme here? ; )
http://www.mixcloud.com/fatlatch/fat-latch-25/

I also listened to some old Kosmik Radiation shows, too. I particularly enjoyed the Beefheart one from earlier this year but also played the Royal Scam and the 2005 Zappa one’s. Enjoyed a lot of these, too, with the odd exception such as the Zappa and the more proggy stuff – and there was one track - Snoose Junction I think – that I thought would never end! I've only got a passing knowledge of FZ and haven’t really heard much for some time but hearing it now...well it sounds like something you might like when you’re 16 but that you really, really need to grow out of! But hats off, Dave. You helped making that tidying a less arduous task!
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2011, 01:17
Dec 05, 2011, 01:16
50 Words for Cheese
Fat Orange Mouse.

"A Mouseterpiece!" The Obobobobserver.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2011, 01:19
Dec 05, 2011, 01:18
Hmm... FOMouse seems to have inexplicably similar music taste to his human housemate, eh Moonie? :)

EDIT: No fair; you edited it :D
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2011, 02:23
Dec 05, 2011, 01:23
He is a lazy fuck and can't be arsed to log in under his own fiendish name sometimes. Gah! To be tarred with the brush of the mouse beast....!!!!!

EDIT: although we both share a liking of drum n bass and doom. And he thinks Cope's "all right".
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Dec 05, 2011, 01:32
Dec 05, 2011, 01:28
Hail!

Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow
Kate Bush - Directors Cut

Dol Theeta - The Expanding Universe
Dol Ammad - Ocean Dynamics
Felix Da Housecat - Son of Analogue
Hyetal - Broadcast
Miriam Jones - Fire Lives
Sisters of Transisters - AT The Ferrenti Institute
Gork - Fishing for Shirks
Crumbling Ghost - ST
Smoke Fairies - Through Low Light & Trees
Wolf People - Steeple
Dr Meaker - Lesson from the Speaker
Furyon - Gravitas

x
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 05, 2011, 04:45
Sin Agog wrote:
Hey, what d'you make of Hapmoniym and Mu? I love them both dearly. Hapmoniym's like an alternative history of the underground experimental scene since the '70s, and there's always a bit of Mako sweetness making it all fairly accessible. Some of the electric discs almost sound proto-Techno in parts. Makes me wonder if more musicians have anything like that in the archives. Amazing to think that's s'posed to be the first 5-disc set of three.

Mu is a dark, far too neglected Krautrock classic.

Cheers, Sin
I am still getting my head around Hapmoniym,
quite enjoyable, will report back more later

MU is great, and reminds me alot of Christopher Tree,
who would be making similar sounds at the same time
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Dec 05, 2011, 20:52
Stevo wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:

The Golden Dawn - A Power Plant
Magnificent, classic Texas psych, and definitely not mere Elevators knock-offs - a misperception that was only caused by International Artists holdiong up its release so that they could put out "Easter Eveywhere" first
(even though it was recorded afterwards). Maybe this will one day get the deluxe edition mono/stereo treatment that IA are currently lavishing on the Elevators and the Red Crayola.

Have been wondering about the recent reissue of this set since I love the lp. Was it just the 13FE mastertapes finally located or is this in better sound than the Get Back reissue?
Love the lysergic Monkees pop of a lot of this though my first contact with the band was the Starvation on the Radarscope e.p. of IA stuff

Stevo

Ah, I didn't realise this had been re-issued again until I reafd your post. The get Back Cd is the one I have - it sounds ok, better than any of the pre-deluxe edition Elevators re-issues. Fropm what I've read, the second half of the mono master for "The Parable of Arabal Land" was found along with the Elevators master tapes, but side 1 had to be mastered from vinyl. Sonic Boom did it and it sounds pretty good, albeit lacking some of the trippy panning effects on the stereo.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 06, 2011, 17:45
Chaosmonger wrote:
You two might be interested in my friends' band Borrowed Time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQbb2cFztSk

Wow! Total NWOBHM worship. I like! I see from the other vids up they're keen to reference loads of bands from that era. \m/
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Dec 06, 2011, 22:49
Oh you mean "Midnight Tygers"? haha yeah. I think they're fantastic. They're on Facebook if you want to get the demo. It's all on youtube though. They just released a seven inch.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index