Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Edited Nov 13, 2011, 12:55
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 November 2011 CE
Nov 13, 2011, 12:23
Picked up the following at the gig in the Hare & Hounds:
Bong - Live At Roadburn 2010. Worth getting for the extended and slightly different versions, well captured.

AMT - Ripper At The Heaven's Gate Of Dark. Not overly familiar with their output, this seems a lot rawer and less produced than say, Absolute Freak Out. Stripped back in a way, more spontaneous and immediate. I like it.

Also was on a bit of a Jesu kick recently, started by Heartache/Dethroned. Never been that bothered by Godflesh, but really like the crushing quality of the two tracks on Heartache. After playing that set quite a bit, Polar Bear sorted me out with the Conqueror album, Silver EP, and Why Are We Not Perfect EP. Great Autumnal music, lots of textures and contrasts.

Spinning off tangentially from Jesu:
Iroha - self titled LP, End Of An Era EP, Bittersweet Ep (split with fragment). More Birmingham based heavy shoegaze style things from associates of Broadrick, who supplies an alt mix of the album on a bonus disc. Found them when they supported Nadja recently and was really impressed. They're playing a lot in the midlands right now and are worth catching for a few quid. Sound reminds me of Disintegration-period Cure, with slow beats, buried vocals, and drawn out synth pads breaking through the guitar fuzz/drone. Free stuff to try at: http://denovali.com/mp3shop/Free-Downloads/Iroha-Fragment-Bittersweet-EP::927.html

Edit: Also enjoying Scintilli by Plaid. What at first seems like Warp-by-numbers, turns out to be a varied and very likeable collection of electro-y dance fodder. Much in the vein of Lemon Jelly or later Orbital, if you like that sort of thing. Evaluation copy now requires upgrading to funky packaged CD version.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index