Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 13, 2011, 15:47
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 November 2011 CE
Nov 13, 2011, 07:53
Kronos Quartet / Steve Reich : WTC 9.11 & Mallet Quartet
I think it is fair to say that American artists a good deal less self-conscious about capturing those "Oh, the humanity" moments unironically than we are. It's definitely not a record I can imagine a Gavin Bryars or Thomas Adès making for example but regardless as to how you feel about 9.11 and its aftermath from a political perspective this is a jaw-dropping docu-quartet mixing the KQ strings with found sound. It's not as glacial or as subtle as John Adams' Transmigration of Souls (it's closest analogue is probably Different Trains) but given that 9.11 was probably be the event that ends up defining much of this century in geopolitical terms, it would be churlish to ignore this record on grounds of dogma alone. It's simply a great record and worth it for the video of the performance of Mallet Quartet alone.

Philip Glass - Waiting For The Barbarians
If you know and love the book then rest assured that this Glass opera totally does it justice. I hope the ENO get around to staging it sometime soon. Good to see that at least the classical world isn't afraid of tackling the major issues of the day on the big stages. Shame rock copped out of that role after Live Aid. Rock style is now off-the-peg and pre-worn with pre-struck attitudes available to match. There is a book to be written about the gelding of the music in the last 25 years. Is Billy Bragg really as good as it gets?!

The Ballad of Mott the Hoople DVD
Fabulous documentary ruined by crappy authoring and choppy picture quality. Tried it on three machines so it isn't me!

Beyonce - I Am... World Tour
Not the Prince band circa 1987 but still a pretty decent modern simulcrum of a classic soul revue live album. Sags a bit in the middle but at £4.49 I am not complaining.

Christian Vander - John Coltrane, l'homme suprême
Only had time to give it one play but musically it seems to be more a tribute to Vander's lifelong love for Coltrane than a tribute to Coltrane himself. I've got a big soft spot for Offering and some of Vander's solo recordings but buyer-beware if you are hoping for Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré Pt 2.

Prince Far I - Dub To Africa
Steve Howe - Not Necessarily Acoustic
Yes - Fragile [2003 expanded]
Yes - Heavenly Lightning : Wembley Arena 18 10 1978
King Tubby / Prince Jammy - Dub Gone 2 Crazy
Wiener Phil[Orchestra] & Claudio Abbado [Conductor] - Mahler 3
PFM - Per un amico
Yes - Yesshows (worth it for the middle section of "Ritual" alone, which is kinda Test Department meets ELP)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index