29 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Nov 14, 2011, 17:48
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 November 2011 CE
Nov 13, 2011, 10:53
Neon Indian - Era Xtrana
Looking forward to seeing them live for the first time on Wednesday.

Karen Dalton - In My Own Time
Judging by the viewes' comments on Amazon, her singing seemes to be very much an acquired taste. Some think she's the reincarnation of Billie Holliday, others an incoherent slurring drunk who only ever recorded cover versions. My opinion is somewhere between the two extremes, but it's a lovely, inspiring listen nonetheless - and who says slurring, incoherent drunks can't make great records anyway (see McGowan, Shane or Smith, Mark E.)

Speed Glue & Shinki - s/t
Just downloaded this off a file-sharing site a few days back. If it were legally available I'd have bought it, but the only version I can find anywhere is a bootleg CD released by Erebus (run by James Plummer of Radioactive/Pheonix fame). Pleasantly surprised to find that to my ears, it's a better and more varied album than "Eve" despite being listed lower down in Julian's "Japrocksampler" top 50, and despite the fact that the band had - to all intents and purposes - already broken up by the time it was recorded. Another one of these cases (like "The Notorious Byrd Brothers" or "Neu! '75") where a fragmenting band mysteriously produces their most coherent release.

Lou Reed & Metallica - Lulu
Was briefly introduced to Lou when he played on "Later with Jools Hiolland" earlier this week, through an acquaintanceship with a member of Various Cruelties (who were also on the show), and he was so polite and charming that I that I feel quite guilty about giving this album a kicking. Sad to report that - inevitably - it's every bit as bad in practise as it sounds on cold paper.

The Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions
Just the two-discer, not the 5-CD box set (which really is overkill). I'm not a great fan of deluxe editions generally, as I don't want to hear takes 1-30 of every track on an album - it just de-mystifies the final product to me. Nonetheless, disc 1 is worth £12 on its own just for being the best assemblage of the 1967 sessions I've yet heard, and including a couple of minor revelations that I'd never heard booted before (such as the exstended "Wind Chimes" ending or the new intro to "Child is Father of the Man".
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index