Robert Rich - Live Archive 7

Bukka White - Legends of Country Blues

Grant Lee Phillips - Virginia Creeper

Neil Young - After The Gold Rush

Frank Pahl & Klimperei - Music For Bath

Frank Pahl & Klimperei - Music For Dessert

Frank Pahl - The Back Of Beyond

Achim Reichel - Echo (sides 1-3)

Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso U.F.O. - The Ripper at the Heaven's Gates of Dark

Sola Translatio - Ad Infinitum
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 November 2011 CE
Nov 12, 2011, 22:23
The Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions
Parliament - Mothership Connection
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels...
Manilla Road - The Deluge
Budgie - s/t
Fela Kuti - Opposite People/Sorrow Tears and Blood
Os Mutantes - s/t
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 13, 2011, 15:47
Nov 13, 2011, 07:53
Kronos Quartet / Steve Reich : WTC 9.11 & Mallet Quartet
I think it is fair to say that American artists a good deal less self-conscious about capturing those "Oh, the humanity" moments unironically than we are. It's definitely not a record I can imagine a Gavin Bryars or Thomas Adès making for example but regardless as to how you feel about 9.11 and its aftermath from a political perspective this is a jaw-dropping docu-quartet mixing the KQ strings with found sound. It's not as glacial or as subtle as John Adams' Transmigration of Souls (it's closest analogue is probably Different Trains) but given that 9.11 was probably be the event that ends up defining much of this century in geopolitical terms, it would be churlish to ignore this record on grounds of dogma alone. It's simply a great record and worth it for the video of the performance of Mallet Quartet alone.

Philip Glass - Waiting For The Barbarians
If you know and love the book then rest assured that this Glass opera totally does it justice. I hope the ENO get around to staging it sometime soon. Good to see that at least the classical world isn't afraid of tackling the major issues of the day on the big stages. Shame rock copped out of that role after Live Aid. Rock style is now off-the-peg and pre-worn with pre-struck attitudes available to match. There is a book to be written about the gelding of the music in the last 25 years. Is Billy Bragg really as good as it gets?!

The Ballad of Mott the Hoople DVD
Fabulous documentary ruined by crappy authoring and choppy picture quality. Tried it on three machines so it isn't me!

Beyonce - I Am... World Tour
Not the Prince band circa 1987 but still a pretty decent modern simulcrum of a classic soul revue live album. Sags a bit in the middle but at £4.49 I am not complaining.

Christian Vander - John Coltrane, l'homme suprême
Only had time to give it one play but musically it seems to be more a tribute to Vander's lifelong love for Coltrane than a tribute to Coltrane himself. I've got a big soft spot for Offering and some of Vander's solo recordings but buyer-beware if you are hoping for Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré Pt 2.

Prince Far I - Dub To Africa
Steve Howe - Not Necessarily Acoustic
Yes - Fragile [2003 expanded]
Yes - Heavenly Lightning : Wembley Arena 18 10 1978
King Tubby / Prince Jammy - Dub Gone 2 Crazy
Wiener Phil[Orchestra] & Claudio Abbado [Conductor] - Mahler 3
PFM - Per un amico
Yes - Yesshows (worth it for the middle section of "Ritual" alone, which is kinda Test Department meets ELP)
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Nov 14, 2011, 17:48
Nov 13, 2011, 10:53
Neon Indian - Era Xtrana
Looking forward to seeing them live for the first time on Wednesday.

Karen Dalton - In My Own Time
Judging by the viewes' comments on Amazon, her singing seemes to be very much an acquired taste. Some think she's the reincarnation of Billie Holliday, others an incoherent slurring drunk who only ever recorded cover versions. My opinion is somewhere between the two extremes, but it's a lovely, inspiring listen nonetheless - and who says slurring, incoherent drunks can't make great records anyway (see McGowan, Shane or Smith, Mark E.)

Speed Glue & Shinki - s/t
Just downloaded this off a file-sharing site a few days back. If it were legally available I'd have bought it, but the only version I can find anywhere is a bootleg CD released by Erebus (run by James Plummer of Radioactive/Pheonix fame). Pleasantly surprised to find that to my ears, it's a better and more varied album than "Eve" despite being listed lower down in Julian's "Japrocksampler" top 50, and despite the fact that the band had - to all intents and purposes - already broken up by the time it was recorded. Another one of these cases (like "The Notorious Byrd Brothers" or "Neu! '75") where a fragmenting band mysteriously produces their most coherent release.

Lou Reed & Metallica - Lulu
Was briefly introduced to Lou when he played on "Later with Jools Hiolland" earlier this week, through an acquaintanceship with a member of Various Cruelties (who were also on the show), and he was so polite and charming that I that I feel quite guilty about giving this album a kicking. Sad to report that - inevitably - it's every bit as bad in practise as it sounds on cold paper.

The Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions
Just the two-discer, not the 5-CD box set (which really is overkill). I'm not a great fan of deluxe editions generally, as I don't want to hear takes 1-30 of every track on an album - it just de-mystifies the final product to me. Nonetheless, disc 1 is worth £12 on its own just for being the best assemblage of the 1967 sessions I've yet heard, and including a couple of minor revelations that I'd never heard booted before (such as the exstended "Wind Chimes" ending or the new intro to "Child is Father of the Man".
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Nov 13, 2011, 18:13
Nov 13, 2011, 10:55
Judas Priest 'Unleashed In The East'
Magazine 'No Thyself'
Peter Hammill 'None Of The Above'
Sandy Denny 'Sandy'
Gong 'Continental Circus'
Pink Floyd 'Ummagumma'
Miles Davis 'Sorcerer'
Berg Violin Concerto and Bruckner 9 (BPO/Joseph Keilberth)
and Riccardo Chailly's vastly disappointing Beethoven cycle.
mr sulcus
mr sulcus
399 posts

Edited Nov 13, 2011, 12:55
Nov 13, 2011, 12:23
Picked up the following at the gig in the Hare & Hounds:
Bong - Live At Roadburn 2010. Worth getting for the extended and slightly different versions, well captured.

AMT - Ripper At The Heaven's Gate Of Dark. Not overly familiar with their output, this seems a lot rawer and less produced than say, Absolute Freak Out. Stripped back in a way, more spontaneous and immediate. I like it.

Also was on a bit of a Jesu kick recently, started by Heartache/Dethroned. Never been that bothered by Godflesh, but really like the crushing quality of the two tracks on Heartache. After playing that set quite a bit, Polar Bear sorted me out with the Conqueror album, Silver EP, and Why Are We Not Perfect EP. Great Autumnal music, lots of textures and contrasts.

Spinning off tangentially from Jesu:
Iroha - self titled LP, End Of An Era EP, Bittersweet Ep (split with fragment). More Birmingham based heavy shoegaze style things from associates of Broadrick, who supplies an alt mix of the album on a bonus disc. Found them when they supported Nadja recently and was really impressed. They're playing a lot in the midlands right now and are worth catching for a few quid. Sound reminds me of Disintegration-period Cure, with slow beats, buried vocals, and drawn out synth pads breaking through the guitar fuzz/drone. Free stuff to try at: http://denovali.com/mp3shop/Free-Downloads/Iroha-Fragment-Bittersweet-EP::927.html

Edit: Also enjoying Scintilli by Plaid. What at first seems like Warp-by-numbers, turns out to be a varied and very likeable collection of electro-y dance fodder. Much in the vein of Lemon Jelly or later Orbital, if you like that sort of thing. Evaluation copy now requires upgrading to funky packaged CD version.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Nov 13, 2011, 13:23
Nov 13, 2011, 12:50
Albums

VA - Belle and Sebastien Supports Finders Keepers: Make Do & Mend Vol. 6
The Bevis Frond - The Leaving of London (still my AOTY)
MMOSS - i (thanks Squid)
VA - Halloween Hangover (14Tracks.com) (recommended)
Bevis Frond - Triptych
Manic Street Preachers - National Treasures - The Complete Singles
Cave - Neverendless
Orchestra of Spheres - Nonagonic Now (v. highly recommended)
Disturbed - The Lost Children
Julian Cope - Rite (thanks Carlos)
Steel Panther - Balls Out
Brian Eno - Panic of Looking
Jah Wobble - Psychic Life
Mistabishi - Trip
Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica
Blackest Ever Black - The Disappointment Engine Mix
Rocketnumbernine - Lone Raver EP
Belzebong - Sonic Scapes & Weedy Grooves (Thanks ToneStone)
Dead Skeletons - Dead Magick (a real find, recommended)
Esben & The Witch - Hexagons EP
Pumajaw - Demonmeowmeow

Tracks

Bill Bailey - various tracks from new album
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 13, 2011, 14:34
Pink Floyd - Leeds Uni 1970
Ekca Linea/A Death Cinematic Preternatural
A Death Cinematic – Your Fate Twisting, Epic In Its Crushing Moments
Genesis – The Lamb lies Down On Broadway
Whitehills –S/T, HP1
Bong – Beyond Ancient Space
SunnO))) – OOVoid
ELP - Welcome Back My Friends…..
Klaus Schulze – La Vie Electronique 2 & 5
Iron Maiden – Virtual X1 , Dance of Death
Aretha Franklin – Amazing Grace
Sex Pistols – Never Mind The Bollocks
Current 93 – In Menstrual Night
Teaze – Live In Japan
Judas Priest – Point Of Entry
Humble Pie –Performance
Yes – Going For The One
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Edited Nov 13, 2011, 17:21
Nov 13, 2011, 17:07
Solus3: 'Corner Of The World'
This'll probably finish up as my favourite new album of 2011. Just a beautiful work of utter grooviness. I admire their occasionally allowing a track's length to wander on beyond the original improvisation, following what is almost certainly an unplanned evolution into something else. Lots of guest collaborators mixing up the dynamics between the core players, too. I've really gotta make a major effort and get to their next big scheduled gig.

Zero Seven: 'Simple Things' and 'When It Falls'
Two old favourites.

Bonobo: 'It Came From The Sea'
A nice various artistes mix CD by the DJ/producer/bassist.

Sparklehorse: 'Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain'
Beautiful, but has suffered bad neglect so far, as it arrived in the same post as the Solus3 disc.

Cinematic Orchestra: 'Late Night Tales'
Jason Thingybob's compilation of tunes by various muzos who turn him on. I put this one on during this week's life drawing session - and forgot that the chilled jazz and soulful tunes finish with a reading by Will Self. Oops.

Morcheeba: 'Dive Deep'
Another played during Tuesday's life drawing. Judie Tzuke guested on this one with various other interesting bods, giving the usual coffeetable hiphop all sorts of pleasant folkie diversions.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Nov 13, 2011, 18:14
Nov 13, 2011, 17:38
Hail!

Skindred - Union Black
Opeth - Hertitage
Mastodon - The Hunter
The Defiled - Grave Times
Wolfcrusher - Virgin Tapestry
Spellbound Dazzle - Unreal Fairytales. This album makes me grin like a goon!

Furyon - Gravitas. Like this a lot. Classic styled Brit metal with a 21st century sheen and some proggy arrangements. Riffy and ambitious. And free with this months Metal Hamster!

Dio - At Donington
Diabolic - Vengeance Ascending. WaUuuuAAAAAAARGHHH!!!!!

Nightwish - Dark Passion Play. Sexy Bombastularity.

Crumbling Ghost - S/T Luvs it!
Premonition 13 - 13

Glow - Sessions. Cosmic grooveh.

Solus 3 - Corner of the World.

Mekkanikka - Basic Tribal Pattens
Various - Guitars on Mushroom II
Felix Da Housecat - Son of Analogue
Dr Meaker - Lessons from the Speaker

Neil Young - Decade

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

Meridiem - Full Catastrophe.

AND....

Opeth Live at the Academy on Friday- Twas fantastic (as usual) and Mikael Akerfeldt's intersong banter is getting more and more weird and funny. Superbpeth!

Have a nice week song slurpers! x
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index