The last two weeks...

Peter Perrett- Woke Up Sticky

T-Rex- S/T

Ultra Vivid Scene- Joy 1967-90

In The Nursery- Twins

Jean Claude Vannier- Roses Rouge Sang

Jean Claude Vannier- Electro Rapide

Low- C'mon

Puro Instinct- Headbangers on Ecstasy (new California sunshine post-punk shoegaze girl pop with Ariel Pink connections. Love it)

Pink Floyd- Total Eclipse disc two (meh).

Flash Fiktion- S/T

Birdengine- The Crooked Mile

The Kaiser Chiefs- Employment (yes. Great pop. Wanna make something of it?)

The Sisters of Mercy- Rough Diamonds (early 80s live boot).

The Sisters of Mercy- Feel No Pain (The SSV Project) - Eldritch's unreleased "just drop me already!" spoiler album to Warners from 1998. No drums, spitting synths, whispered vocals. I actually really like it- like a bad vibe antitode to late 90s chillout music, somewhere between early Tangerine Dream and contemporary Emeralds / Ohneotrix Point Never. Would've made a good second Sisterhood LP, maybe?

Mugstar- S/T

Kingdom Come- S/T (AKA the even crazier world of Arthur Brown)

Dukes of Stratosfear- Psionic Sunspot

Julian Cope- Peggy Suicide

Can- Future Days

Captain Beefheart- Lick My Decals Off Baby

Captain Beefheart- The Spotlight Kid

Fairport Convention- S/T. the earlier the better for me with Fairport. Love their period as an English Byrds/Airplane type psych-folk band.

Jackson C Frank- S/T.

Mellow Candle- Swaddling Songs.

Bert Jansch- Sampler

Bert Jansch- Nicola. Interesting to see a few heads picking this oft-dismissed 'pop' LP as a Bert tribute this week. I love it, it's actually really varied, from the dark and droning to the charmingly throwaway.

Pentangle- Basket of Light

Pentangle- Cruel Sister (I nearly typed Cruel Summer, then- Pentangle do Bananarama, that would have been something. Or vice versa. Pentagarama! Banananangle!)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 October 2011 CE
Oct 10, 2011, 13:58
The Sea Cat wrote:
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Peguin Cafe Orchestra - A History
Marvellous comp.

I love that this is on Spotify. Could easily use up my allowance just bunging it on random at work. Kinda miss inflicting this on my workmates (it's all headphones at this place)

I've got this somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and give it another try. I think I was initially put off by the over familiarity of some tracks due to use in ads. I know it brings in much needed money to the artist, but I still wish they wouldn't do it.

I thought this was a recent compilation? Have I got that wrong?

It is really good though. I love the live recordings on it especially, perhaps because I wasn't familiar with those.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Oct 10, 2011, 14:03
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Bert Jansch- Nicola. Interesting to see a few heads picking this oft-dismissed 'pop' LP as a Bert tribute this week. I love it, it's actually really varied, from the dark and droning to the charmingly throwaway.

Pentangle- Basket of Light

Pentangle- Cruel Sister (I nearly typed Cruel Summer, then- Pentangle do Bananarama, that would have been something. Or vice versa. Pentagarama! Banananangle!)

I think Nicola is possibly my favourite Bert album (of the ones I know that is), despite it being sort of the odd one out.

And hehehehehe! @ Banananananangle :-)
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 10, 2011, 14:38
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

The Sisters of Mercy- Feel No Pain (The SSV Project) - Eldritch's unreleased "just drop me already!" spoiler album to Warners from 1998. No drums, spitting synths, whispered vocals. I actually really like it- like a bad vibe antitode to late 90s chillout music, somewhere between early Tangerine Dream and contemporary Emeralds / Ohneotrix Point Never. Would've made a good second Sisterhood LP

I've got a digital copy of this somewhere, must dig it out again as it's most enjoyable, shme it was never released , would have really annoyed the goths, also on a goth tip this week I have been listening to

Bauhaus - Mask
SunnO))) - Black One
High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings
Flaming Groovies - Teenage Head
Pink Floyd - Obscured By The Clouds
The Muppet Show - download of the music from the first series, most enjoyable in a music hall kinda way and very catchy, one play of Manah Manah had the whole house singing it for the rest of the week
Ga'an - ST bit of a grower this one, found it a bit ornate at first but it's wheedling itself into my brain, also appears to be wildly obscure as tape then vinyl release so I'll stick to the mp3
Eleh - Radiant Intervals whilst I can appreciate the mechanics behind Eleh I still find them as dull as ditchwater and just as cold, this one at least has some ''glitch fly'' sounds, but I cannot really recommend it otherwise, a drone too far
Delphic Vapours - Get Off Their Knees
Klaus Schulze - La Vie Electronique 1 & 3 most of my listening has been to these, wonderful listening, especially Vol3, looking forward to vols 2,4 & 5 by which time I suspect Schulze will have swallowed up all my listening time
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Oct 10, 2011, 15:21
machineryelf wrote:
Klaus Schulze - La Vie Electronique 1 & 3 most of my listening has been to these, wonderful listening, especially Vol3, looking forward to vols 2,4 & 5 by which time I suspect Schulze will have swallowed up all my listening time

Hmm. Might have to check these out.
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Edited Oct 10, 2011, 16:42
Oct 10, 2011, 16:41
The Jam
Meat Loaf
erm....some euro cheese too.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 10, 2011, 16:44
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

The Sisters of Mercy- Feel No Pain (The SSV Project) - Eldritch's unreleased "just drop me already!" spoiler album to Warners from 1998. No drums, spitting synths, whispered vocals. I actually really like it- like a bad vibe antitode to late 90s chillout music, somewhere between early Tangerine Dream and contemporary Emeralds / Ohneotrix Point Never. Would've made a good second Sisterhood LP, maybe?

Gosh, not heard this. Sounds interesting. I like the Sisterhood album; has a weird My Life in the Bush of Goths quality to it. Mr E does a fine line in spoiler albums it seems!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 10, 2011, 16:46
Squid Tempest wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

Hmm. Might have to check these out.

AFAIK it's a reissue of the cream of the 50cd Ultimate Schulze set, there's 10 vols of 3cd setsand in a chronological order, I started with One to check the quality and it was spot on, but 3 is really impressive, 2 live sets from 75 and a disc of top notch out takes, so far I'd rate it as good as the TD bootbox [I wish I'd got the 2nd set of that when it was available]Like TD he was making music that was more suited to CD than vinyl way before Cds were about.Not quite sure which year it goes up to, but IIRC I don't think Schulze ever went quite as newagey as TD, I'm certainly going to stick with til it , maybe get a bit cautious about vol7 or 8 but so far v.impressive
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Oct 10, 2011, 18:12
Moon Cat wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Gosh, not heard this. Sounds interesting. I like the Sisterhood album; has a weird My Life in the Bush of Goths quality to it. Mr E does a fine line in spoiler albums it seems!

I'd do you a copy, but I've just got it on a vinyl picture disc! I'm sure it's floating around on t'net though.

Hmm, a bush of goths... do they scream when my daddy prunes?
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Oct 10, 2011, 20:23
Quite recently it has been Bo Ningen on Mark Riley's show. Not sure what to make of them - i know they get a bit of a mention in soundtracks.

The Beta Band - Assessment and then The Aliens - Magic Man just came on in succession too. Smashing.

Been listening to some recordings - still Sarah Gillespie at St Austell Brewery

Also The Charlotte Glasson Band @St Austell Brewery in early August

Hiss Golden Messenger @ Miss Peapods, last Monday

Espers 6 music session and live in Bristol from last year

3 recordings of Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother track from around 1970

Album wise it has been:

The Earlies - Those were the Earlies
Elbow - Cast of Thousands
The Cult - Electric
Can - Ege Bamyasi
Cluster - Sowiesoso
Pharoah Sanders - Karma