Three Light Years - ELO

The Mafia Stole My Guitar - Alex Harvey

Wild and Lonely - Billy MacKenzie

Dogs In the Traffic - Love And Money

Sound Of Music - Falco

Second Coming - The Stone Roses

August and On - Counting Crows

Introduce Yourself - Faith No More

plus loads of Richard Thompson and John Martyn.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 9 October 2011 CE
Oct 09, 2011, 13:57
The Sea Cat wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
tjj did a post about that on FB. Top chap, inspiring children with music and poetry. Mind you, he is a fellow Celt, Drew.... ;-)

In more ways than one! We did the poetry thing in a couple schools that I work in as well. I brought some of the other Waterboys stuff as well so hopefully mums and dads will be being pestered to buy an album or two. Funnily enough I accidentally played tracks by a couple of other Scottish bands I quite like.

Careful now Drew. Folk may get the wrong imprsession. I mean, I know how easy it is for your Simple Minds and Glasvegas cds to accidentally fall out their cases and get themselves played amongst a bunch of Waterboys tracks. It could happen to anyone who strokes white persian cats and plans to take over the world by subliminally hypnostising an entire generation of Scottish children to rise up and do his evil bidding upon hearing certain tracks by Simple Minds and Glasvegas that act as unconscious triggers. It could happen to anyone....

Glasvegas was one, Boards Of Canada the other. Once they have been really good I'll dig out the Simple Minds (Inverness is on at the mo, The American is brilliant imo)

This is a good thing tho, Mike Scott often appears at local schools especially in Huntly. I know Mr Kerr is planning something similar for some Glasgow schools, Fran Healy (from Travis) did something similar a couple of years back. Good to see these guys give something back.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 09, 2011, 14:29
drewbhoy wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
tjj did a post about that on FB. Top chap, inspiring children with music and poetry. Mind you, he is a fellow Celt, Drew.... ;-)

In more ways than one! We did the poetry thing in a couple schools that I work in as well. I brought some of the other Waterboys stuff as well so hopefully mums and dads will be being pestered to buy an album or two. Funnily enough I accidentally played tracks by a couple of other Scottish bands I quite like.

Careful now Drew. Folk may get the wrong imprsession. I mean, I know how easy it is for your Simple Minds and Glasvegas cds to accidentally fall out their cases and get themselves played amongst a bunch of Waterboys tracks. It could happen to anyone who strokes white persian cats and plans to take over the world by subliminally hypnostising an entire generation of Scottish children to rise up and do his evil bidding upon hearing certain tracks by Simple Minds and Glasvegas that act as unconscious triggers. It could happen to anyone....

Glasvegas was one, Boards Of Canada the other. Once they have been really good I'll dig out the Simple Minds (Inverness is on at the mo, The American is brilliant imo)

This is a good thing tho, Mike Scott often appears at local schools especially in Huntly. I know Mr Kerr is planning something similar for some Glasgow schools, Fran Healy (from Travis) did something similar a couple of years back. Good to see these guys give something back.

Boards Of Canada! Excellent work my friend.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Oct 10, 2011, 20:24
Oct 09, 2011, 15:26
Neon Indian - Era Extrana
The Temptations - Psychedelic Soul
Bert Jansch - s/t
Bert Jansch - Jack Orion/Nicola
Pentangle - Light Flight (The Anthology)
Apollo 440 - Electro Glide in Blue
The Monkees - Monkeemania (The Very Best Of...)
Randy Newman - 12 Songs
Tangerine Dream - Green Desert
Spectrum Meets Captain Memphis - Indian Giver
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2011, 15:48
Oct 09, 2011, 15:47
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:
Unlikely favourite of the week

Elkie Brooks - Two Days Away
Not surprising if a lot of people missed out on this one given that it came out at the height of Punk. My Mum, a big Cleo Laine fan, had it and I secretly loved hearing it through the walls. Played it this week (an old cdr rip from the vinyl) for the first time in a long time. First thing to say for is that this is the first album where Brooks abanonded her Grace Slick influenced vocal style that she developed with Vinegar Joe (who I thought were a bit ordinary tbh though I love "Black Smoke Rising From The Calumet"). Instead she goes for something in terms of singing style that sounds more like Janis / Aretha, or more accurately Ann Peebles and perhaps Dusty under the influence of pre war Jazz. A real old time 40-a-day voice. The great Lieber and Stoller write and produce and you can really hear that experience of working with people like Peggy Lee, Elvis and Ben E King. The Brill Building approach to classic pop song writing is to the fore. That said it sounds a lot more like Memphis than New York and the first tune almost resolves into a fully fledged Parliament type groove though stops just short. The hit single was over-exposed and a bit mawkish but for me this is one of the last really great pre-digital soul albums. The vocal on "Honey Can I Put On Your Clothes" in particular is stunning and is a song awash with harps, which is no bad thing, and when she goes for more of a Diana Ross mid tempo pop soul thing on "Sunshine After The Rain" it's bang on. Adelle and Joss Stone could do with checking it out and having a rethink. For a 1977 release it is refereshing that it displays no more than the slightest nod to Disco though there is a bit of cod reggae to circumnavigate. It's great strength is the total disdain for hipness. As Cannonball Adderley would say "you don't decide you're hip, it's a fact of life". Highly recommended for old school Soul fans looking for something new to listen to. Gripes? Too much top on the bloody bass!

Blimey. Not heard that in YEARS! My girlfriend of the time had that album so I knew it well back then. I don't think I'd particularly liked Pearl... as a single, thinking the gravel was a touch over-done, but I didn't mind the album at all. Just played Sunshine... on youtube. Still sounds good!

It does. Playing the album again was a revelation. Certainly stands up next to the good Bonnie Raitt records. No idea what happened to her creatively after this record. I guess the 80s got her. Though not as well/badly as Robert Palmer I'd wager!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 09, 2011, 15:52
What's the new Weird Owl like? I really liked the last album (debut?).
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 09, 2011, 16:06
Moon Cat wrote:
What's the new Weird Owl like? I really liked the last album (debut?).

Bloody hard to get hold of for starters (well, at a reasonable price anyway). I've only listened once so far but it's got some good tracks. Maybe buy a download first to try it out but if you go for the physical artifact the packaging is reet perty.

Overall it seemed a bit more 'muscular' than I remember their last being so you should enjoy it. Good but not great on first listen.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Oct 09, 2011, 17:24
Oct 09, 2011, 16:15
Jostling for earspace in the catpod this week...

Opeth - Heritage. A sumptuous thing.

Eric Dolphy - Out There, Outward Bound, Out to Lunch & Stockholm Sessions. Got the first two on one of those double disc sets they do in Fopp and thanks to the dude that is IanB, the other two beamed through the jazz ether with modern magicks. Wonderful stuff merging trad and modern styles in to a melodious but challenging whole. Lots to sink yer teeth into but also works as a nice thing to play whilst potterng about. Tres groovy and I love the control on display during some of the more frenetc bits. Great!!

Steve Lacy -The Straight Horn of....(thanbks again Ian!). Er...see above really! V good!

Zola Jesus - Stridullum II. Kinda electro gothery (althogh like all gothically inclind artists the G word might give her palpitations). Vi nice and atmos heavy although she doesn't scale the heights of Bat For Lashes in the ploughing of a not-completely-dissimlar albeit more electronic furrow.

Arch Enemy - Wrath of the Tyrant. Shred loads!
Firewind - Alleigance

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales and Into The Pandemonium. Weirdly, Tom G Warriors 'death grunts' sound not unlike Rob Brydon's Tom Jones 'cough'. Huargh! Great stuff!

The Black Ships - Kerofune EP. Good stuff!

Beethoven - Best of... V nice, but I don't think he actually plays on this, which is bit of a swizz.

Roger Waters - Amused to Death. Enjoyed this more than I thought I would to be honest. Not familiar with much of his solo stuff after the Final Cut made me want to shoot puppies in the face.

Get The Blessing - Bugs in Amber. Excellent 2nd album from band comprised of Portishead and Stonephace alumni. Modern, beat heavy jazz n rock melange. Brill live too! (top serendipitous £1 sniff too!)

Chick Corea & Return to Forever - Light as a Feather. V nice and v different from the 'definitive' RTF lineup although some of the proggier tinged elements point the way to later things.

Curmudgeon - BAH!

Roland Chadwick & The English Chamber Orchestra - The Revealing. Annoyingly talented multi-stringist mixes folk, country and acoustic rock pluckage with a very nice orchestral background. Quite filmic in parts.

Have a nice week sound sniffers x
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 09, 2011, 16:16
My local 2nd hand place had one going for £6...might have to pop in tomoz...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 09, 2011, 17:16
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Pink Floyd 'Obscured By Clouds' - wherein Floyd get all heavy metal and seem to be having a right good time in the process. Sounds great in its latest remastering;

I've got an album called "Psycheclectic" by an American band called... Obscured By Clouds, which, as you might imagine, carries a bit of a torch for Floydian prog although with something of a more contemporary metally edge. It might float your boat Sir.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index