Sep 18, 2011, 21:26
The Sisters of Mercy- Floodland

The Mission- God's Own Medicine

The Mission- Children

David Sylvian- Brilliant Trees

The Glitter Band- Rock n' Roll Dudes

Sly and the Family Stone- Fresh

Linton Kwesi Johnson- Reggae Greats

Kenny Rogers- 20 Golden Greats (actually this £1 charity shop buy is all late 60s / early 70s First Edition tracks, about half of which don't even have Kenny on lead vocals. I picked it up mainly to have 'Condition (I just dropped in'), but there are some other gems amid the schmaltz (and even the shmaltz is superior shmaltz). 'Church without a name' in particular is like listening to 'Whiter Shade of Pale' on an extreme bad acid trip- what the hell is going on there?)

The Implosion Quintet- The Future Sound of Yesterday

The Horrors- Skying

Family- Bandstand

Bridget St john- Jumblequeen
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE
Sep 18, 2011, 21:38
redfish365 wrote:
Orchid / Capricorn

Just checked this out after reading your list. Love it!
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Sep 18, 2011, 21:43
mingtp wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Orchid / Capricorn

Oh yeah, Ming... you'll love it!
If you get the cd you'll also love the packaging.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Sep 18, 2011, 21:55
veneta1 wrote:
Grateful Dead - Europe 72 (The Complete Box Set)

Words cannot do justice to the brilliance that is on offer here over the course of 73 CDs.

Mindblowing.

Jesus H... I assume you started listening to it in '74 and have just come up for air. Not much has changed really. You'll soon catch up.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 18, 2011, 21:55
redfish365 wrote:
mingtp wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Orchid / Capricorn

Way ahead of you, already ordered. Just also got Through The Devil's Doorway too (but only on d/load for the moment).

My equally metal-orientated compadre DJ Nameless loved Capricorn when I played it to him earlier too, so you've already got two converts. \m/
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Sep 18, 2011, 22:43
Loren Connors - Red Mars. Great slabs of sonic landscapes from Connor's guitar which sounds like it may have beem recorded in the far reaches of the solar system.

Mogwai - Earth Division. Much as I love them, I don't ever expect to be really surprised by them but this new EP sees them using string quartet and even mouth organ with great results. Guaranteed to be used for some BBC documentary in the not to distant future. Original pressing of this was wiped out in the PIAS fire so nice to have this hunk of solid vinyl in my mitts.

v/a - Bob Blank, The Blank Generation, Blank Tapes NYC 1975-1987. Intriguing compilation centred around producer Bob Blank's Blank Tapes studio. Real intersection of mutant disco, jazz and No Wave so the likes of Sun Ra, James Blood Ulmer, Lydia Lunch, Gladys Knight, Fonda Rae etc. Also Arthur Russell's (as Lola) great Wax the Van. Not bad for £3 out of Fopp.

Barn Owl - The Conjurer. First album I've heard from them and like this a lot. Want to check out their new collaboration with Ellen Fullman.

Other plays:

Art Ensemble of Chicago - Urban Bushmen
The Free Spirits - Out of Sight and Sound
Larry Coryell - Spaces
The Necks - Live at Issue, Night Two, Set Two
Delphic Vapours - Get Off Their Knees
SAHB - Next
Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere
Davy Graham - A Scholar and a Gentleman
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Adrian Belew - Twang Bar King
Fred Frith - The Previous Evening
Peter Erskine - Juni
Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

And good to hear Maconie feature Mark Hollis's s/t solo album on Freak Zone tonight. One to dig out for next week.

Have a great week all.
flashbackcaruso
1058 posts

Sep 18, 2011, 22:57
The Doors - The Soft Parade (for some reason The Doors' 'worst' album is one of my favourites. Often lightweight, but great fun)

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request (still mystifies me that the Stones quickly disowned this album which brims with chaotic invention).

The Kinks - Sleepwalker
The Kinks - Misfits (this most English of groups pander towards the US market and the results are often surprisingly pleasing, although on 'Misfits' Ray sometimes sails the band into dangerously cheesey territory).

Micah P.Hinson - The Gospel Of Progress (his first album which he toured to wonderful effect with The Earlies as his backing group, although I first heard him play these songs acoustic and they were no less compelling in a more stripped back setting).

The Kingsbury Manx - The Kingsbury Manx
The Kingsbury Manx - Let You Down (peerless first pair of albums from this unassuming but deeply effecting US band. Each one always feels like the better of the two whenever I play them).

The Turtles - Golden Hits
The Turtles - Chalon Road (two excellent compilations from this unfairly overlooked band, with some overlap between the two. 'Chalon Road' was Rhino's attempt to compile a lost album out of stray tracks from their 45s, unearthing some mighty psychedelic gems in the process).

Kaleidoscope - Tangerine Dream
Kaleidoscope - Faintly Blowing (some of the twee-est lyrics of an era prone to such excesses, more than compensated for by wonderful melodic invention and some surprisingly powerful playing. One of the great unsung British psych bands).

Elvis Presley - For L.P. Fans Only
Elvis Presley - A Date With Elvis (the two stop-gap LPs compiled from non-album tracks to keep fans happy while Elvis was in the army. Amazingly some of his greatest ever Sun recordings - 'Blue Moon Of Kentucky', 'Milkcow Blues Boogie', 'Good Rockin' Tonight' and my favourite rockabilly cut EVER 'Baby Let's Play House' - were among the songs scraped from the bottom of the barrel for the second of these. It also includes 'Is It So Strange', one of his most haunted recordings).

Matt Berry - Witchazel (I've been meaning to buy this ever since I heard Stuart Maconie play 'The Pheasant' on the Freak Zone and assumed it was from some lost harmony-prog-folk gem of the early 70s until Stuart back-announced it. Then I saw Matt Berry posing as Vangelis on 'Shooting Stars' and finally knew I had to have it. Somewhere between Circulus and The Last Hurrah, it's knowingly retro in a gloriously inventive and often rather beautiful way).

Lambchop - How I Quit Smoking (the first Lambchop album I bought, and the one I return to the most. It subversively mixes the most lush tendencies of Nashville with Kurt Wagner's most perverse lyrics).
keith a
9574 posts

Sep 18, 2011, 23:32
Forge A New Noize – Gestalt
Midlands based (I think) punky kinda act. Great guitar sounds and some killer riffs.

Classic Recordings - Mighty Diamonds
Not as good as I remembered TBH. Sounded a bit on the bland side really.

Linger Ficken' Good – Revolting Cocks
Better than I remembered – I always liked it but it seemed a poor relative of Big Sexy Land and Beers steers & Qu**rs. OK, maybe not in their class but I enjoyed hearing it again. Creep is great and as for their take on Rod’s D’ya Think I’m Sexy – well I find it hysterical. One of my all-time fave cover versions!

Pet Projects: The Brian Wilson Productions - V/A
Highlight is probably Pamela Jean by The Survivors. Also features Glen Campbell and the wonderfully named The Laughing Gravy.

Reel Music: The Coolest Sounds From The Greatest Movies – V/A
Screenadelica (Hot Sounds From Cool Movies) – V/A
Two old Uncut cd’s from way back. They feature bits of allsorts really – the former manages to feature both The Ride Of The Valkyries and KC & The sunshine Band whilst the latter goes from Bernard Hermann to Blur!

Seeing For Miles (Uncut 2009 10)
The one with Sun Araw, Sleepy Sun, Deradoorian etc, on.

Also...
Zinc Alloy And The Hidden Riders Of Tomorrow – Marc Bolan & T.Rex
Love Peace & Fuck – Brain Donor
Six – Mansun

Plus live stuff by The Clash, Iggy & the Stooges, Sonic Youth and T.Rex
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Sep 19, 2011, 00:38
mingtp wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
mingtp wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Orchid / Capricorn

Way ahead of you, already ordered. Just also got Through The Devil's Doorway too (but only on d/load for the moment).

My equally metal-orientated compadre DJ Nameless loved Capricorn when I played it to him earlier too, so you've already got two converts. m/

Well awlright! \m/ Rock the fuck on!
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Sep 19, 2011, 08:51
Apollo 440 - Electra Glide In Blue
Dreadzone - Second Light
Quiddity - Broadening
Bowie - Hunky Dory
Low Bias - The Ash And The Oak
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index