IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 19, 2011, 09:03
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE
Sep 19, 2011, 09:03
1001realapes wrote:
No , it's From Genesis To Revelation plus 4 bonus tracks

Ah ok. Thanks. Not rushing to Amazon I don't think. Wish they would release more early pre Lamb live material. Not much chance of that I suspect but presumably they at very least have complete shows from Free Trade Hall and De Montfort Hall in the archives.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Sep 19, 2011, 09:10
Toni Torino wrote:
Apollo 440 - Electra Glide In Blue

We had 'Dude Descending A Staircase' on over the weekend. What a band, eh?
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Sep 19, 2011, 09:19
Kid Calamity wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
Apollo 440 - Electra Glide In Blue

We had 'Dude Descending A Staircase' on over the weekend. What a band, eh?

I've only got 'Electra Glide...' & Gettin' High on Your Own Supply' but I like 'em lots. I saw therm in Turin end of '99/beginning of 2000, and they were fuckin loud.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Sep 19, 2011, 09:25
Of course Noko is now touring and recording with Magazine, but Apollo 440 have had a new album ready for release for almost a year! I think they're awaiting a deal.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Edited Sep 19, 2011, 09:34
Sep 19, 2011, 09:32
This is good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ3CwlZm0fY

Featuring Billy MacKenzie.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Sep 19, 2011, 11:44
noticed your name on here, which is 1 of their all time great gigs. Sunshine daydream is a must see film. Has about 1/3rd of the Veneta gig on.

Not had a chance to listen through much of the 72 box set so far. So not sure if anything as mindblowing is in there. I do remember Rotterdam being pretty good even as MP3 though.
Have always wondered how many of the kosmische scene were at the German gigs.
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Sep 19, 2011, 12:36
For the first time in ages:

Darren Hayman- January Songs
Darren Hayman- The Ship's Piano
Rotifer- The Children on the Hill
Allo Darlin- s/t
Vostok 5- Vostok 5 compilation
Laura Marling- A Creature I Don't Know (I'm not quite so angry as Ian about this, but there are certainly issues)
Trevor Moss 7 Hannah Lou- Quality First Last and Forever
St Vincent- Strange Mercy (this could be interesting in a kind of poppy-heavy-more-yet-less-normal-bjorky way)
Iron Maiden- Somewhere in Time (inspired by Ryan Adams' cover of Wasted Years, available on YouTube)
Peggy Sue- Acrobats
S.C.U.M.- Again Into Eyes (this seems to be more about hype than anything else, although I will grant them a listen on proper speakers, despite being underwhelmed on the car stereo)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 19, 2011, 14:54
Sep 19, 2011, 14:54
Spaceship mark wrote:
Laura Marling- A Creature I Don't Know (I'm not quite so angry as Ian about this, but there are certainly issues)

Good to see you back in these parts. Not sure I was angry so much as it confirming what I had sensed after the second album - that an original writer was getting sucked into the middle ground. And I didn't even mention the Leonard Cohen stuff!

What are the issues for you?
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Sep 19, 2011, 15:49
Much as you have said. I feel a unique talent has been diluted, whether this is due to record company pressure, ideas-exhaustion or too much nosebag I don't know. Only about three of the tracks seem to be fully written, the rest meandering studio jams (interesting in places but not as arresting as her earlier material).
To be fair I also had issues with the creeping Mumfordisations of the last album. From her publicity over the years we have been led to believe that she has gone from a painfully shy and militantly plain young woman to a confident and strident performer. To the extant that she has been executing her 'exercise in awkwardness' at festivals this year, where she would enter a room without speaking, play to one person and leave. That's really egotistical.
Perhaps Marling, as many artists before, has found a groove she can lazily sit it and sell millions of records but unless the next album does something original (not necessarily like the first record, but with songs which really grab you) I'll only be Spotifying and not blindly parting with my hard earned. There are independent artists out there who need my money more.
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Sep 19, 2011, 15:58
What I meant to add to the middle point was, it seems that her increased self confidence has unfortunately contributed to a 'and should I shit in a box, you shall still buy it' attitude. Which is a shame.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index