Re: The Gibson SG
Sep 12, 2011, 18:12
Squid Tempest wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
The 'BMW' of Guitars, and just as irritating. Most people who play them have exactly the same lack of musical road manners.

Buggroff, that's me you're talking to. SG = a thing of beauty and noise. A masterpiece of guitar design. Especially in cherry red.

Sorry Squid! I had the vapours.

I don't know if this is the reason for Sea Cat's disdain, but all those 90s Brit pop bands, Oasais and their ilk, all seemed to play SGs which rather tarnished their image for a while.

Currently, the gorgeous Mia Clarke of Electrelane plays one, and she's an excellent, innovative player as well- always taking the leftfield approach but very physical, tugging and scratching, as far from the lad rock dullards as you can get. Something of Angus Young in her stance as well, though I've yet to see her duck walk across the stage- or dress in school uniform (maybe in my dreams...)

It definitely depends how you play them. Squid, Mia and many other use them like Sonic Astral Wands, as they should be used, mote it be, whereas other, unworthy profaners, see them as an appendage to fag dangly JD on Amp
miscreance.

Mote It Be ?! A Wiccan dirge if ever there was one......

IIRC, during the early 70s (not sure of the exact period) it was very hard indeed to get hold of an SG Studio because Pete Townshend had smashed them all to bits.

What does IIRC seem mean ? It reminds of semi-abusive Latin Lessons.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index