46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 September 2011 CE
Sep 04, 2011, 22:54
The Doors - Morrison Hotel

ABBA - The Album
ABBA - Arrival (these were actually chosen for a father/daughter listening session by my 2-year old. Considering the might of the Andersson/Ulveaus songwriting partnership you think they'd have rejected drek like 'When I Kissed The Teacher' or 'Dum Dum Diddle', but there is much pop genius elsewhere to make up for these slips).

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine (again, a favourite of my daughter's; amazingly I'm finding hearing these songs on repeat is actually making my jaded ears appreciate them afresh. The sonic power of the dangerously messy 'It's All Too Much' gets more and more affecting with each additional listen, almost as if the more you hear it the more it starts to hit you on an emotional level).

Steve Winwood - Winwood (excellent UA double LP covering highlights from The Spencer Davis Group through to John Barleycorn, with a bit of Blind Faith thrown in).

The Beach Boys - Live In London (very impressive live recording, showing the Brian-less, but far from brainless, line-up tackling recent hits, b-sides and album tracks with panache. Wish the surviving members would bury the hatchet and play a live set like this).

Elvis Presley - From Elvis In Memphis/Back In Memphis (new Legacy double set, handsomely packaged and with all the offcuts from the Memphis sessions as bonus tracks. I almost prefer Back In Memphis to its more celebrated predecessor. Considering it is made up of rejects from that album, the material is frequently incredible, with imaginative arrangements and finely tuned performances making even the lesser material sound rather special. If only all Elvis's albums were so rewarding).

Bobbie Gentry - Delta Sweete
Bobbie Gentry - Patchwork (Bobbie's two concept albums, from both ends of her comparatively brief career. The first of these is the best, but both show an originality and creativity rare in her field. Why is she not more widely celebrated?)

Linda Ronstadt/The Stone Poneys - Evergreen, Vol 2
Linda Ronstadt/The Stone Poneys & Friends - Volume 3 (Some wonderful material on these last two LPs from Linda's first band which fell apart during the making of the latter. Definitive interpretations of Mike Nesmith and Tim Buckley compositions are among the many highlights).

Paul Simon - The Rhythm Of The Saints
Paul Simon - So Beautiful Or So What (Just played the newie once so far, but was quite impressed by the off-the-wall touches in the arrangements, and some of the song-writing sounds more interesting than his other more recent albums. The 1990 follow-up to Graceland is still one I return to regularly, though. Full of beautiful contributions from his Brazilian collaborators, especially the sublime Milton Nascimento).

Arnold Bax - Symphonic Poems
Vaughan Williams - Orchestral Favourites
Beethoven - Emperor Concerto (I've been hitting the Naxos CDs again this week. Bax I was moved to check out after reading 'Electric Eden', and I wasn't disappointed. RVW's 'Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis' is one of the most haunting pieces of music I've ever heard. The 2nd Movement of the Emperor Concerto is used to wonderful effect in 'Picnic At Hanging Rock' which I watched this week, so I had to return to the source to maintain some of the film's unique mood).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index