Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Sep 05, 2011, 21:37
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 September 2011 CE
Sep 04, 2011, 21:03
Curved Air Air Conditioning.
Finally got a remastered version of this lp. Been hoping for one for the last few years since finding some great live sets from them from '70 & '71. Lp now sounds pretty great.

Kevin Coyne Marjory Razorblade
Remastered version of the early double lp by Kevin Coyne. Think lp sounds pretty fine. On this strength might investigate further.
Can't see a listing for backing musicians but this is largely an electric band though there are a couple of solo acoustic sounding tracks. I think Eastbourne Ladies is thought of as a standout track, which it does quite well. As does Nasty.
Welcome addition to my cd collection. Been meaning to get it for a while.

Caetano Veloso Araca Azul
Experimental (post?)Tropicalia pop lp from early 70s. Well its got some noisy tape experimentation while remaining mostly melodic.
Version I have is a Russian remastered reissue from a couple of years back. Sounds pretty great, but I would like liner notes.
Also played Transa through cos I wound up bunging on one track (Filosofia?) when I DJ-ed a Street Feast last week.Then realised I didn't know the lp as well as I should & on relistening would almost definitely have played You don't Know Me the song about walking through Portobello.

Buddy Holly Rave On disc one
Comprehensive compi of pretty much all of Buddy Holly's official releases. Set is arranged so that disc one is hit material released during his lifetime, disc 2 is posthumous and disc 3 is basically rarities.
Only listened to disc1 so far.
Think I was turned onto him years ago by wanting to hear the original of the Elevators track I'm Gonna Love You too which is on their Live lp. Heard the Holly version and it sounds like something of an early blueprint for the Ramones. Several of his tracks seem a lot more carnal than you'd expect from the image. Might be seen to tie in with a supposedly secret fact about him and what he had to 'tie to his knee' if I wanted to be puerile.
Legend has it he was bigger than Iggy anyway.

Annette Peacock I'm The One
Noisy out there avant jazz meets funk record from '72 that has had a limited reissue by the artist. Pretty great to say the least. Apparently a big influence on early 70-s Bowie too.

Saints All Times Through Paradise
Australian punk group or at least coincident with. Influences were similar and I guess at least (I'm) Stranded sounds like it comes from the same place. They were from Brisbane so I'm not sure to what extent they'd think of themselves as punk per se though. After that first lp they branched out and added horns quite successfully.
This box set has the first 3lps plus some live stuff including the Paddington Town Hall set I'm dying to get decent video for, thought that was on the original version of this but it seems to be solely audio. There's also a Hope & Anchor set here.
This has been the first time I've heard Prehistoric Sounds regrettably, should be something I'm much more familiar with. Must get the Laughing Clowns box set now on this evidence.

Pink floyd Piper at the gates Of Dawn
Another lp I should know much better than I do. I've had versions of it in different media since the early 80s. I should be able to tell what tracks lay in what order and should be played when I'm djing by now. Didn't, kicked myself on replay when I got back here.
Wondering what the forthcoming Why pink Floyd version will be like. Won't be able to get it individually til mid next year though.

Gun Club Las Vegas story
Don't play this anywhere near enough and again an lp I should have played something from when I djed last week, also neglected Miami at the same time.
Great internally luminous lp that I hear echoes of Television, QMS, Patti Smith and various dirty realist authors in. think it would now be thought of as Americana. At the time it was doing its own thing I think, glam proto-goth photos on the back cover might be deceptive.

Rolling Stones the psychedelic era singles from London Years
Still can't believe somebody instructed me to take 2000 Light Years from Home off when I djed last week.Too melancholy? Utterly gorgeous song.
What is normal response to dunderheaded requests like that?
Anyway stuck on the full run of Satanic Majesties singles to the end of that disc when I got home. Fantastic music. Had really wanted to play Child Of The Moon which ends that disc since its an all time fav song ever since i had it on No Stone Unturned.

reading
Hotel Babylon which was trash but fun, about the goings on behind the scenes at a hotel. Compiled from various anecdotes into a 24 hour structure. Not bad for 20c anyway

Fela This Bitch Of a Life
essential reading for any fan of his music. Based on interviews done with Carlos Moore this is Fela narrating his own biography.
I'm currently at the police station story that inspired expensive Shit.
Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index