Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 August 2011 CE

67 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 August 2011 CE
Aug 28, 2011, 01:08
Not done this in a while, new(ish) job takes up a lot of time, so not inclined to go on the web much as I'm generally knackered in the evening.

Anyhoo, enjoyed a fair bit of stuff this weekend so far...

Jonas Reinhardt - Music From The Tactile Dome.
Keep coming back to this, really like it's kraut/house grooves. One of my releases of the year so far.

Japan - Quiet Life
Loving this all over again, esp Mick Karn's massively elastic bass lines.
The charts were more interesting when I was a kid, the more old releases I dig out the more I'm convinced. No way would a band like Japan get a sniff these days, different climate musically I realise, but still....

Faust - Something Dirty
Best Faust record in years, wish I'd caught em' playing this live.

Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
Allegedly there's a 2 disc reissue of this due imminently. The second disc is a bunch of B-Sides and hard to get ephemera, probably got them already, but will no doubt put my hand in my pocket again.

Zak Riles - S/T
Grails multi- instrumentalist debut album from a year or two ago.
Pretty good on the whole, if a little samey by the end. I'm a sucker for those 'Eastern' scale guitars though, and it has a 'proto' version of Grails 'Silk Road', which I absolutely adore, so well worth the £3 I paid.

Prince Rama - Shadow Temple
Krazy improve psych with folk tinges. Great cover to this that kinda sums up what you get (http://paw-tracks.com/princeramapresspage.html). Imagine Popol Vuh 'Letzte Tage - Letzte Nächt' mixed with Agitation Free '2nd' and Book Of A.M and your in the right ball park.

Rough Trade Shops - Psyche Folk 10
Great compilation from Rough Trade, a few duds, but on the whole, mostly killa. Notable Mentions 'Alistair Roberts - You Muses Assist', Hush Arbors - Fast Asleep' and Ulaan Khol - Untitled II (edit) all mind blowingly good.
And the Sam Amidon track 'Way Go Lily' really could be him channeling Nick Drake, beautiful.

Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man - Out Of Season
Didn't like this on it's release back in 2002, thought it a little twee, but my wife had a French film on the other week and the first track on the soundtrack was 'Mysteries'. Gave me goosebumps. Found a copy of the CD in my local Bernado's for a quid...can't go wrong really.

Von Bingen - Von Bingen
A pal sent me a CDr vinyl rip of this a while ago and I've been after a 'proper' vinyl copy for since. Great electronic, psyche guitar noodling and krauty drones here, dunno anything about them, but here's a webpage you can listen to the record if you think it may be your kinda noise
http://www.castexotic.com/von_bingen/

Have a great week y'all!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index