Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 July 2011 CE

72 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 July 2011 CE
Jul 25, 2011, 00:40
Wild And Lonely – Associates
I know the consensus is that this is at the weaker end of the mighty MacKenzie cannon, but I love it. Sure it’s not as weird and wonderful as Sulk, but then again, very little is. This might be Billy doing pop, but he does it so well. For example, there’s a bit towards the end of Just Can't Say Goodbye where the other voices come in that gets me every time.

Leftism / Rhythm & Stealth – Leftfield
It’s been great digging these out again. Great stuff!

In Nightfall - Seabuckthorn
Another purchase that those nice folk at Norman’s talked me into! “It's essentially guitar workouts with a exotic psychedelic twinge to it. At times it's very exotic sounding and considering the whole release is pretty much just guitar it keeps your attention neatly with lots of interesting twists and turns”, they said. I had a quick listen on the net and decided it was worthy of fuether investigation. Just seven tracks and totalling 20 minutes-ish but interesting all the same.

The Marshall Suite – The Fall
I’d pretty much given up on the Fall in the late 90’s so missed out on this one and by the time I’d got back into them c/o of some excellent releases in recent years this was pretty much impossible to get unless you had very deep pockets. Thankfully, it’s now been re-released - with two bonus discs (one b-sides and Peel, the other live). For those who haven’t heard it contains a cover of The Saints classic This Perfect Day which I think everyone should hear once. But not necessarily more twice!

The Stone Turntable - Transglobal Underground
This is proving a real grower. I had it pretty much on continuous in the car last week.

Also...
Mounqaliba – Natacha Atlas
Ex-Proxima – Black Tempest
Teufelswerk – Hell
No Wow – The Kills
The Village Green Preservation Society – The Kinks
S/T - The Lords of the New Church
Yes / Etc - Pet Shop Boys
III – Santana
1-2-3-4! The Roots of the Ramones (Mojo cd) – V/A
Urban Hymns – The Verve

& Biker FM!