Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 July 2011 CE

72 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1057 posts

Edited Jul 24, 2011, 22:41
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 24 July 2011 CE
Jul 24, 2011, 22:40
Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme (love the subtle dusting of psychelia on this otherwise bookish LP of pristine college folk, particularly on the song 'Patterns', an unsung gem in the Paul Simon songbook)

Traffic - Traffic

Fuchsia - Fuchsia (still one of the great undiscovered classics of 70s prog folk. I see the official CD which nearly pushed this LP overground a few years back is now out-of-print and going for inflated prices)

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

The Beach Boys - All Summer Long
The Beach Boys - Today
The Beach Boys - Summer Days (& Summer Nights!)

Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk 2 (keep forgetting how atypical of Ralf & Florian much of this marvellous early material is. The first album gets almost funky at one point and the second has a few minutes of distorted guitar).

The Kinks - Everybody's In Showbiz
The Kinks - Preservation Act 1
The Kinks - Preservation Act 2 (after gorging myself on the deluxe reissues of the 60s classics, it's time to re-explore the band's 70s concept album 'no-man's land'. 'Showbiz' is curiously patchy, Ray's songwriting often seeming rather arch and shallow, but 'Sitting In My Hotel' is the keeper, and the live half is surprisingly enjoyable considering The Kinks weren't the most reliable live band. The much-maligned 'Preservation' albums are much better. Some wonderful songs on 'Act 1', but some even better ones on 'Act 2', although they can easily get overlooked amongst the irksome announcements from Christopher Timothy, and the tracks designed solely to move the plot along which tend to sound like Queen doing a school play - not necessarily always a bad thing!)

OST - Far From The Madding Crowd (Richard Rodney Bennet's RVW-esque score for John Schlesinger's underrated film version of Hardy's great novel, with folk songs sung by a pre-Fotheringay Trevor Lucas and Isla Cameron. Nice original US gatefold vinyl scored off eBay).

Silvery - Railway Architecture (Always find this a treat having seen Silvery play their first gig to a handful of workmates ten years ago and now see my friend James really fulfill his band's obvious potential on this second album. Interesting to read the blog on the Silvery website and discover that he is far from satisfied with it, but the creator of a piece of work is usually the person most conscious of its flaws).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index