Pink Floyd Reissues 2011

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Piquiod
Piquiod
525 posts

Re: Pink Floyd Reissues 2011
May 10, 2011, 17:59
I have the Box Set from 1993 (4?)...but I think I have to get these.
2 of the best reasons to get it:
1- Live Soundbard recordings these eras songs...Raving and Drooling...yup, I'm drooling over early Dogs!
2 - Official Quad mixes....Wish You Were Here Quad is great (the vinyl LP I heard)...
I might have to upgrade my stereo and also get a blu-ray too...
I'm glad I have time to save my pennies...
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

May 10, 2011, 18:08
Dog 3000 wrote:
IanB wrote:
The Wall is one of my personal musical betes noires. One good and highly memorable guitar solo aside I have never been able to understand the hoopla surrounding that one.

It helps to be an angsty 15 year old.

The Wall is great teenage bumout music.

Boring for adults though!

Got it in one Dave.
stray
stray
2057 posts

May 10, 2011, 18:37
machineryelf wrote:

I wonder if the WYWH scarf will be made in genuine 70s shiny nylon and desintegrate after 3 days like the real thing

ooh.. I remember those. However all the ones I remember in my head seemed to have 'Status Quo' written on them.... No, wait.. hang on.. My mind has just conjured up an image of such a scarf with 'Sham 69' and Purseys face on it too. Weird.
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

May 10, 2011, 19:50
I want I want I want but.........., £93.60 for the Immersion box sets spells not allowed :-(
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited May 10, 2011, 20:00
May 10, 2011, 19:59
IanB wrote:
I am the reverse. Don't get the fascination with the Syd era. I like the vibe but very little of the music. Generally speaking I think American psych went further longer. European voyagers were already working in more extreme areas of music.

What really interests me in PF is how their records chart the progress of expansive middle England liberal hippie optimism as it curdles into caustic cynicism. They are in their own way the only band who chart that journey from 67 - 77 without getting into the whole self-mythologising thing of The Stones or whoever. For me Animals is the rock n roll embodiment of Britain at the dawn of Thatcher. That this journey ended with Waters spitting on the audiendce does make perfect sense given what was about to happen to Floyd and the amount of spittle and phlegm that was about to start flying the other way. By comparison Syd seems a bit of a quaint flower power curio to me like a much more troubled Donovan.

Never really thought about the sociology of their lyrics much, but this makes perfect sense to me.

What attracted me (and I still got lots of time for Floyd) is the sense of an all-encompassing sound world. They're not quite prog, rock, pop or anything else; they just sound like Pink Floyd.

I think their peak era is roughly 1969-77 (Ummagumma through Animals) -- the first two LP's are some of the most interesting "UK psych that isn't too poppy and Beatlesish", but sound "of their time" and not as timeless as the Gilmour period.

The ones I go back to most often these days are MEDDLE and ANIMALS . . . probably heard DSOTM and WYWH enough times I could hum them in my sleep.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

May 11, 2011, 03:53
Wow, nothing gets this board going like some PF news. The only albums I officially own are the first two, but I'm a big fan of DSOTM, and haven't really given the rest a good chance. I do wish they would have made the decision to release "Scream Thy Last Scream" and "Vegetable Man" on an expanded Saucerful, I mean the fans have surely been calling for these far more than 10 different versions of DSOTM.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

May 11, 2011, 06:20
Dog 3000 wrote:
IanB wrote:
The Wall is one of my personal musical betes noires. One good and highly memorable guitar solo aside I have never been able to understand the hoopla surrounding that one.

It helps to be an angsty 15 year old.

The Wall is great teenage bumout music.

Boring for adults though!

Yes it must be an age thing. When it came out in '79 my idea of angst was probably more Television, The Pop Group, "Broken English" and er .... "Coney Island Baby".

I worked in a record shop circa 1981 and my younger colleagues were Essex stoners obsessed with "The Wall", "Sheik Yerbouti", Ronnie Laws and The Crusaders and hated anything to do with core Prog or Punk. They played those bloody records every chance they got. Music snobs but of a really strange kind. "Rat Tomago", the big solo on "Comfortably Numb" and "Tiny Lites" aside I found the whole thing completely mystifying. Still do.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 11, 2011, 06:40
May 11, 2011, 06:25
Dog 3000 wrote:
IanB wrote:
I am the reverse. Don't get the fascination with the Syd era. I like the vibe but very little of the music. Generally speaking I think American psych went further longer. European voyagers were already working in more extreme areas of music.

What really interests me in PF is how their records chart the progress of expansive middle England liberal hippie optimism as it curdles into caustic cynicism. They are in their own way the only band who chart that journey from 67 - 77 without getting into the whole self-mythologising thing of The Stones or whoever. For me Animals is the rock n roll embodiment of Britain at the dawn of Thatcher. That this journey ended with Waters spitting on the audiendce does make perfect sense given what was about to happen to Floyd and the amount of spittle and phlegm that was about to start flying the other way. By comparison Syd seems a bit of a quaint flower power curio to me like a much more troubled Donovan.

Never really thought about the sociology of their lyrics much, but this makes perfect sense to me.

What attracted me (and I still got lots of time for Floyd) is the sense of an all-encompassing sound world. They're not quite prog, rock, pop or anything else; they just sound like Pink Floyd.

I think their peak era is roughly 1969-77 (Ummagumma through Animals) -- the first two LP's are some of the most interesting "UK psych that isn't too poppy and Beatlesish", but sound "of their time" and not as timeless as the Gilmour period.

The ones I go back to most often these days are MEDDLE and ANIMALS . . . probably heard DSOTM and WYWH enough times I could hum them in my sleep.

Agree totally. Like Machinery Elf says further up the page, I listen to the DSOM & WYWH era boots more than the core albums but Animals gets a lot of play still. Also the film version of Echoes is just wonderful. UK psych is a really charming snap shot of an era (and sometimes thrilling) but it feels to me like a transitional movement between Mod and Prog, on the one hand, and Glam on the other. There's nothing I couldn't live without. Though I am sure there are (a lot of) people out there who love Tomorrow and Syn beyond reason and wouldn't go near Yessongs!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 11, 2011, 06:37
May 11, 2011, 06:33
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:
Oh god. Time to empty the old pockets again though at least two of these look worthwhile - if I hadn't already bought these albums three or four times a piece since the 70s that is. Erk.

No Animals, Meddle or Atom Heart sadly only Dark Side, WYWH and The Wall. The Wall is one of my personal musical betes noires. One good and highly memorable guitar solo aside I have never been able to understand the hoopla surrounding that one.

the BBC DSOTM disc is a wondrous thing, I play it far more than yer actual DSOTM, and the WYWH gigs are pretty special too but you can stick the immersion box sets where the sun doesn't shine, I need a collection of Pink Floyd marbles like I need a hole in the head

Would love to see some of the 69-71 period gigs get released but I doubt there are any official recordings or they would have been released already

Yes, I would love to have a nicely remastered copy of Concertgebouw 1969 and Hamburg 71 and the like. And you are right, the early and pre-DSOTM tour boots are fantastic. Especially the BBC one.

The marketing bells and whistles put me off too but if the sound quality of the BBC Dark Side is a major improvement on the various versions I have then I may well be tempted. As with football (talking of 70s silk scarves), in the end I know full well that I am being ruthlessly exploited by a bunch of bastards but that's the lot of the real enthusiast isn't it? Actually mixing DVD and Blu Ray in the same box infuriates me more than the marbles.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

May 11, 2011, 07:54
IanB wrote:
[quote="Dog 3000"][quote="IanB"] Though I am sure there are (a lot of) people out there who love Tomorrow and Syn beyond reason and wouldn't go near Yessongs!

Ha Ha! I was playing all three, with a dash of Andwella's Dream and Gentle Giant, only yesterday. So maybe I'm an exception there. I love my trad psych and anyone who disses Yes, well, that's fighting talk! ;
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index