Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 19/03/11

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 19/03/11
Mar 20, 2011, 20:54
Well the cookie monster insult is a bit played out, they're just an acquired taste like anything else. You should check out some Reverend Bizarre if you haven't already.
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 20:57
Yeah hehe, I was thinking the same. It's the only metal I've been listening to recently - just in a full-on 60s mood lately.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 21:20
Chaosmonger wrote:
Well the cookie monster insult is a bit played out, they're just an acquired taste like anything else. You should check out some Reverend Bizarre if you haven't already.

Wasn't meant as an insult, just an easy way to describe the vocal style I don't care for. Seriously, is there a less potentially insulting way to describe such singing? Again, insulting anyone was not my aim.
keith a
9572 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 22:37
Secret Astronomies – Black Tempest
Drinking Gasoline – Cabaret Voltaire
Coincidence – Joe Crow
Dragnet – The Fall
Galaxsea – Lunar Dunes
I Refute It Thus - Urthona

Plus a few Stranglers golden oldie singles, some Blurt and Faust, and live stuff from Suicide, Julian Cope and T.Rex.

And watched There'll Always Be An England (Sex Pistols at Brixton 2007) on the telly. A bit Carry On Rotten at times, but the band were on good form. Especially enjoyed Problem.
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 22:42
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (Played off original vinyl just before learning that a tasty 3 disc deluxe edition is on the way).

MGMT - Congratulations (My favourite album of last year).

David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
David Bowie - Pin Ups

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love

The Beatles - Please Please Me
The Beatles - With The Beatles (The new re-masters have made this 2nd LP surprising again. 'Don't Bother Me' and 'Not A Second Time' have been on repeat play - they are unexpectedly bitter and tough sounding so soon after the lovable debut).

Vangelis - Soil Festivities

The Beach Boys - Keeping The Summer Alive (Roughly 50/50 hit and miss; excellent late career highlight 'Santa Ana Winds' is undermined by being followed by Bruce's truly cringe-inducing 'Endless Harmony').

(American) Spring - Spring (Brian Wilson's wonderful 1971 production for his wife and sister-in-law. Overdue for a reissue, preferably in better packaging than the out-of-print See For Miles release).

Quatermass - Quatermass (Forgotten how good the strings are on this. For some reason there is the odd moment that reminds me of Jesus Christ Superstar, but it could be because singer John Gustafson played Simon Zealotes on the original LP).

Bee Gees - A Kick In The Head Is Worth Eight In The Pants (Bootleg of unreleased LP - contains some of their best stuff from this period, making it a mystery why Polydor passed on it. Hopefully Rhino will see fit to give it a proper release in the not too distant future).
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 22:52
Glad someone else shares my fondness for the Fuchsia album. Tony Durant is now musically active again - look for him on Myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/fuchsiaprogfolkrock

plus a two part documentary on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcsuOSbraYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pmgAKthyVw&feature=related

I befriended him on MySpace and ended up meeting up with him last time I was in Sydney (where he now lives). Very nice chap - he even sent me an mp3 of a rough mix of one of the songs which may end up on a belated follow-up to that classic LP.
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 22:57
Some very enjoyable listening this week:

The Phantom Band - Checkmate Savage and The Wants. Was playing these again in anticipation of seeing them for the first time. Superb gig. Love how they can go from delicate, fingerpicked folkish to full on motorik psych blast. Great band, great night.

Hayvanlar Alemi - Visions of a Psychadelic Ankara and 666. More investigations into the output of this turkish trio.

Kristen Hersh - The Grotto. Mostly just acoustic guitar and voice. Haunting and naked.

Black Tempest - Ex Proxima. I'm working backwards here. Found it quite different from Secret Astronomies, with the vocal and jazz sections. Great stuff.

Also:

AMM - Uncovered Correspondence
The Fall - Slates
Zappa - Chunga's Revenge.
Pink Mountaintops - Outside of Love.
Gary Burton & Keith Jarrett - s/t
Joe Harriott/John Mayer - Indo-Jazz Fusions 1&2
Ornette Coleman - Science Fiction
La Monte Young - The Black Record
Henry Cow - Leg End
Fred Frith Guitar Quartet - Upbeat
Charlemagne Palestine - From Etudes to Cataclysms and Sharing a Sonority
Arve Henriksen - Cartography
maudlin for the Well - Leaving your Body Map
Aethenor - En Form for Bla
This Heat - Repeat
Anthony Braxton/Derek Bailey - First Duo Concert
Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation
The Advisory Circle - Mind How You Go
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior.

Happy listening all.
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 23:15
Patti Smith - Horses
Dr Alimantado - House of Singles
Oneohtrix Point Never - Returnal
v/a - King Tubbys Dub Box
v/a - Top Deck Ska 45s
The Allman Bros Band - s/t
Wendy Carlos - A Clockwork Orange OST
Sly & the Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On
Quiddity - Broadening
Bill Hicks - Rant in E Minor
The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy and the Lash
Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls for Rock 'n' Roll
Kode 9 & the Spaceape - Memories of the Future
Underground Resistance - Electronic Warfare 2.0
Deaf School - Don't Stop the World
Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball
The Allman Bros Band - Brothers and Sisters
Guadalcanal Diary - 2x4
Tom Waits - Asylum Years
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced...
Siouxsie and the Banshees - The Scream
Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution
v/a - Down in the Basement: Joe Bussard's Treasure Trove of 78s 1926-37
Boom Bip - Seed to Sun
Trees - The Garden of Jane Delawney
Make-Up - Save Yourself
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage
v/a - Sprigs of Time: 78s from the EMI Archive
Volcano the Bear - Classic Erasmus Fusion
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One
Ruts - Grin and Bear It
Kendra Smith - Five Ways of Disappearing
Alexander Spence - Oar
House of Freaks - Tantilla
Rein Sanction - Broc's Cabin
Las Malas Amistades - Jardin Interior
Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
v/a - Songs of Defiance: Music of Chechnya and the North Caucasus
Damien Jurado - Rehearsals for Departure
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Mar 21, 2011, 01:11
Well, calling them cookie monster vocals is usually what people who haven't heard more than five death metal albums use to describe them. It's probably more to do with the bands you've heard than the vocal style itself, I wager. If you're on this site, chance are you've heard music or sounds that are a lot harder to get into than a guttural vocal style.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Mar 21, 2011, 01:36
Chaosmonger wrote:
Well, calling them cookie monster vocals is usually what people who haven't heard more than five death metal albums use to describe them. It's probably more to do with the bands you've heard than the vocal style itself, I wager. If you're on this site, chance are you've heard music or sounds that are a lot harder to get into than a guttural vocal style.

Yeah its a personal thing and to my ears a band with super cool ideas such as Ahab is shot right in the foot by those vocals. Warning on the other hand has decided to sing normally and I dig it. Another band with just great tunes and atmosphere, Moss, again really hurt themselves to my ears with the vocals.
We're all different and where some people would hate Magma, Univers Zero, Ornette Coleman, Acid Mothers Temple or Keiji Haino, I love 'em but understand why someone may not. For me and for a reason I can't quite put my finger on those "death metal vokills" lose me.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index