Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 19/03/11

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 19/03/11
Mar 21, 2011, 14:36
Julian Cope- The Jehovahcoat Demos. Having been pre-warned that this was basically a load of instrumental jams, I really enjoyed listening to it. He really had a great band back then, and it was a trip to revisit his on-the-one, p-funk informed period- Peggy shading towards Rite. Nice.

Arbouretum- The Gathering

Arbouretum- Song of the Pearl. Also caught the band live in Brighton- criminally underattended, but a great show nevertheless.

Richard and Linda Thompson- Shoot Out The Lights. Seemed to sit well with the Above.

The Deviants- This Vinyl is Condemned

Love and Rockets- Earth Sun Moon

The Jesus and Mary Chain- Darklands

King James- S/T (local alt country band)

various artists- The Bleeding Hearts Club (local label comp)

The Beach Boys- Holland

Jake Thackray- The Last Will and Testament.
keith a
9570 posts

Mar 21, 2011, 14:56
machineryelf wrote:

I think it will survive the spring clean, haven't listened to it in yonks and thought programmed drums,samples that will sound rather old hat, but it's fantastic, been listening to the Revolting Cocks and 1000 homo DJs and they're equally good. Im somewhat annoyed that I can't find the Power of Lard ep, it's not under M for Ministry, B for Biafra, L for Lard or the big pile of 12" singles hidden in the corner, maybe I should try T for 12 or E for EP

Not played it for a couple of years myself, but it still sounded great last time I played it. I'm a big fan of the stuff they were doing around that time. Revco's Beers, Steers & Queers is truly awesome at times!

Not got the Lard one myself, but I managed to get a copy of the 1000 Homo DJ's 12" last year - hadn't heard that in donkeys years!

I also like Confessions Of A Knife by My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult and the No Name No Slogan single by the Ministry / Cabaret Voltaire collaboration that is Acid Horse. Great record!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2011, 15:27
Mar 21, 2011, 15:04
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
The Who – Sell Out
Can – Ege Bamyasi never really rated this, was quite surprised at all the praise this got a couple of weeks back, still strikes me as a lesser part of the can canon

Very true. Every time I think "oh, Ive been ignoring this one" I go back and find out why. Medicore by their standards.

machineryelf wrote:
Late entry Mahavishnu Orchestra - Apocalypse I loathe all that Mahavishnu speedy jazz wank, and when someone pointed out they liked this on face I was fully prepared to pour scorn, but on listening I found that George Martin had sprinkled magic fairy dust on this , reigned in the faster than thou stuff and actually made a decent album, checked out the Emerald follow up, back to the jazzwank, still proof along with Gong Floating Anarchy that even the vilest of musicians have a decent record in them somewhere [except Paul Weller]

Wont hear a word against Apocalypse. Glad you like it a bit. It's gorgeous. Jazzwank is all in the ears of the beholder. I know some people who think Bolin is total jazzwank and "Play Me Out" too. Which is self-defeating madness to me.

BTW the Steve Vai's shows with Zappa Plays Zappa were really good and evidence for the defence but I agree on "Eat 'Em" though I like "Skyscraper" too, especially for his acoustic playing.

Skyscraper is on top of the listen to pile, for all his faults DLR has been responsible for some damn fine R n R in these two and a couple of VH albums and one of the best rock biogs ever.

Not overly keen on Zappa I haven't heard Vai's playing on them, but like many guitarists he seems to work better when he is given a job to do rather than trying to prove how wonderful he is

Don't think Bolin or Hughes ever get close to McCaughlin for virtuoso buffoonery, each to his own ,jazz does seem to be the default setting to progress to after rock, but I think Bolin usually erred to the tasteful side rather than the as many notes in as many different keys/time sigs in the shortest time possible camp, I know lots of folk think Mahavishnu is the dogs nads but beyond admiration for the technical ability involved it does nothing for me, Fripp for example makes an equally absurd racket but I feel something when he does it[ though some times it is 'I really must listen to Court after this']. I know this is probably a skewed outlook but the thing Apocalypse reminded me of most was the Aphex Twin, I suspect I'm listening to the orchestral bit with a bit of jazzy skittering in the background to stop it getting to AOR, whereas most folk listen to it going 'OOH Johnny C he doth rock most jazzily Huzzah, and that nice Mr Martin is providing some nice strings n stuff, what a good chap'As long as I regard it as a george Martin album with a bit of Mahavishnu I'm OK.

btw had to google play me out, really should investigate Hughes output more, even at the time he managed to slip under the door, I have AFAIK never heard a Trapeze track which is strange considering the Purple/Judas Priest connection
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2011, 15:29
Mar 21, 2011, 15:23
machineryelf wrote:
btw had to google play me out, really should investigate Hughes output more, even at the time he managed to slip under the door, I have AFAIK never heard a Trapeze track which is strange considering the Purple/Judas Priest connection

"Play Me Out" is Hughes in Stevie Wonder mode. It doesn't rock in a Purple sense but it does bring the fonk in parts. Really good blue eyed soul album with nads on. Like a rocked up Noel Mccalla / Moon(spelling?) or rocked down Streetwalkers. I was already a big Motown fan at that time so I was not too phased when it came out on import but it's not "Come Taste The Band".

Trapeze are a bit over-rated overall but "Medusa" is a really good record and bits of "You Are The Music" ditto. Though by then they sound more like SNAFU than Purple.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2011, 15:36
Mar 21, 2011, 15:34
IanB wrote:

"Play Me Out" is Hughes in Stevie Wonder mode. It doesn't rock in a Purple sense but it does bring the fonk in parts. Really good blue eyed soul album with nads on. Like a rocked up Noel Mccalla / Moon(spelling?). I was already a big Motown fan at that time so I was not too phased when it came out on import but it's not "Come Taste The Band".

Trapeze are a bit over-rated overall but "Medusa" is a really good record and bits of "You Are The Music" ditto. Though by then they sound more like SNAFU than Purple.

Not overly keen on Stevie Wonder so I can avoid that, and I have always worked on the principle if I didn't hear it in 77-78 when I cared it probably wouldn't be worth hearing now so that's Trapeze sorted

Snafu, another great Roger Dean cover ruined by tedious pub rock IIRC, going to google it to find out which one, thank god Dean published Views, at least I was spared Babe Ruth.

edit
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QvSi3BrEMBA/SQ2pV3Gz-zI/AAAAAAAAEVY/RaCZHPyetcA/s400/dean+snafu.jpg

one of my favourites cover wise, not so much the record
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2011, 15:36
Mar 21, 2011, 15:35
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:

"Play Me Out" is Hughes in Stevie Wonder mode. It doesn't rock in a Purple sense but it does bring the fonk in parts. Really good blue eyed soul album with nads on. Like a rocked up Noel Mccalla / Moon(spelling?). I was already a big Motown fan at that time so I was not too phased when it came out on import but it's not "Come Taste The Band".

Not overly keen on Stevie Wonder so I can avoid that, and I have always worked on the principle if I didn't hear it in 77-78 when I cared it probably wouldn't be worth hearing now so that's Trapeze sorted

Snafu, another great Roger Dean cover ruined by tedious pub rock IIRC, going to google it to find out which one, thank god Dean published Views, at least I was spared Babe Ruth.

I wasn't :-(
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Mar 21, 2011, 15:56
Hehe, i kinda know what you mean about speedy jazzwank but the MO are one of the few bands i can take it from. In fact, the more they trade solos and the more excessive those solos become the more i actually like it. If i thought they were just showing off for the sake of it i'd hate them too, but for me, they're like those Whirling Dervish Dancers using their chosen medium to gain some kinda personal enlightenment ( and as a listener i do find them somewhat transcendental myself ).

Just like Gong really ;-)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 21, 2011, 16:20
bubblehead2 wrote:
Hehe, i kinda know what you mean about speedy jazzwank but the MO are one of the few bands i can take it from. In fact, the more they trade solos and the more excessive those solos become the more i actually like it. If i thought they were just showing off for the sake of it i'd hate them too, but for me, they're like those Whirling Dervish Dancers using their chosen medium to gain some kinda personal enlightenment ( and as a listener i do find them somewhat transcendental myself ).

Yes, they do it for me in that way too. I often find myself luxuriating in the dizzying talent on display. I'm not fond of tuneless virtuosity by any means but I think MO have some lovely tunes to hang their wizardry on. I like the dynamics on offer - from ear shredding madness to brain caressing gentleness. Works for me anyhoo x
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Mar 21, 2011, 16:26
bubblehead2 wrote:

What Bubbs said!

*Prepare for anti-Gong flak from Mr Elf! hahaha!
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2011, 16:40
Mar 21, 2011, 16:33
Yeah, dynamic(s), that's the key for me !

Right, gonna pop into town to buy some tomatoes. Think i'll listen to the mighty One Word from Birds Of Fire whilst i'm at it. Er, must try to avoid scrunching my face in ecstasy or going for the air guitar whilst on public display though !
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index