Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2011, 01:18
Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 19/03/11
Mar 19, 2011, 22:29
Hiya and into year ten and here goes with the essential selection of the last week.

Deep Purple In Concert 1972
Ravi Shankar Spirit of India
Jimi Hendrix Experience Last Experience 3 disc live recording of the last Experience gigs in the UK Royal Albert Hall 18th and 24th Feb 1969
Jeff Beck Group Costra Nostra Beckola
Traffic John Barleycorn Must Die
Spirit Time Circle
Big Brother and the Holding Company Self Titled
Traffic The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Cream Fresh Cream
The Who 30 Years of Maximum R&B
The Who Live At Leeds
Ian Gillan Band -Child In Time. Gillans jazz /funk rock  phase a more interesting diversion in his back catalogue. 
Gong and Dashiell Heyadat - Obsolete
Deep Purple - Machine Head it's not dragged out that often but when I do dig it out it's like getting back in touch with a long lost friend.
Free I- Heartbreaker - a great return to form Wishing Well and Common Mortal Man what more could I ask,

All the best
Joolio
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 19/03/11
Mar 20, 2011, 03:21
Frank Zappa / One Size Fits All & Zoot Allures. (these remind me of 1980, '81 when I first discovered Zappa thru my late friend Preston H.)

Master Musicians of Bukkake / Elogia de la Sombra. (The first track is great but the 2nd, their tribute to Neu! is spot on)

Sleep / Sleep's Holy Mountain

Van der Graaf Generator / Trisector

Havvanlar Alemi / Guarana Superpower

Keef / Stoned to Doom

G.A.M. / 1976

Black Angels / Phosphene Dream

Darker My Love / ST

Sleepy Sun / Fever

Arp / The Soft Wave

London Underground / ST

Groundhogs / Blues Obituary

High Tide / Sea Shanties

Il Balletto di Bronzo / Ys

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso / Darwin

Circle / Earthworm

Jade Warrior / Now

Pink Floyd / Pompeii

Purple Overdose / Reborn

Whitesnake / Come An' Get It

Tangerine Dream / Bootleg Box Vol 1

Walter Wegmuller / Tarot

McChurch Soundroom / Delusion

Diamond Head / Borrowed Time

Fish / Raingods With Zippos

Flying Saucer Attack / Sally Free and Easy EP

Warning / Watching from a Distance

VA - Amorphous Androgynous / A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Vol 3: The 3rd Ear
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 05:43
Oh man, that Warning rules. It shouldn't work, it should be too emo and weepy for doom metal but somehow they get it right every time. The vocals are amazing.
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 05:45
Still listening to a lot of 60s classics:
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
The Beatles - Abbey Road
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society
The Who - Tommy
The Who - Who's Next
Tyrannosaurus Rex - Unicorn
Burzum - Fallen
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2011, 10:41
Mar 20, 2011, 09:05
John Barleycorn Must Die 2011 2 cd version
Just about worth it for the live tracks alone (the more bootlegs you have from that era the less relevatory it probably is) and the scrubbed up original album just pulses with energy and youthful arrogance - Traffic at the very top of their game.

John Martyn Live at Leeds 2 cd version.
Really disappointing fucking around with one of the greatest records ever made. Live or otherwise. This was my fourth purchase of this record since it came out. The original sequence is rejigged, the insultingly crap tracks with Koss from the Voiceprint version are maintained, the audio on the out takes is often shocking, the mastering is not what it was on the original vinyl and of the new tracks only "May You Never" and "Spencer The Rover" are worth the bother. Steal those two and buy "Barleycorn" instead even if that too is short of definitive . Universal, hang your heads!

Ring Cycle highlights - HvK and BPO

Streetcore - Strummer
Far and away his best record since "The Clash"

Noise Candy (discs 1 and 2) - Bill Nelson (utterly bonkers 6 x cd collection of out takes. I can only manage two at a time but the "Console" disc is a must own for Nelson obsessives)

Rainbow 73 / Too Late To Stop Now - Van Morrison

King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown & East of the River Nile - Augustus Pablo

My Manic & I ep - Laura Marling

Imaginary Psychology - Matt Baldwin
Glad I started that thread, MB channels his inner "Outside In".

"Playing It Cool" Dubs - Keith Hudson

Collage for a Day, Barbican Hall 19 11 2009 - Frissell / Gibbs

Jehovahcoat Demos
Great sounds, slender material in parts - not as interesting as Black Tempest or Spaceship but better than anything carrying the Black Sheep livery. Well worth owning. One man's cast-aways etc ...

The Touchstone - Azimuth
Norma Winstone in tip-top wordless improv form. The euro-jazz flipside to Rotary Connection.

Come Taste The Band Remix and Remaster
Wonderful revisioning of the best album that habitually clogged the racks of Record and tape Exchange in the mid 70s. Could still have done with some more guitar in places. Has been my most played Purple album for about 20 years now, just as "Heaven and Hell" is far and away my most played Sabs album. Ditto "Seconds Out". Sometimes those apparently cataclysmic line up changes work out just fine. Trevor Rabin excepted.

and in the same vein ...

Miami - James Gang
Made in Europe - Purple
Malice In Wonderland - Paice Ashton & Lord
Whitesnake - Coverdale
Snakebite - Whitesnake
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 09:14
Julian Cope - Black Sheep

Brain Donor - Too Freud to Rock N Roll, Too Jung to Die

The Movements - For Sardines Space Is No Problem

Alan Sorrenti - Aria

Jacques Dutronc - Best Of

Shirley & Dolly Collins - Anthems in Eden

Davenport - Free Country

V.A. - Blow Up a-Go-Go! Dancefloor Classics From the Legendary Blow Up Club (Beats!)

Lard Free - I'm Around About Midnight

Flipper: Generic Flipper

Tons've John Peel sessions

Thee Headcoatees - The Sisters Of Suave

Allo Darlin' - S/T

Ghost - Hypnotic Underworld

V.A. - Siamese Soul: Thai Pop Spectacular Vol. 2

Fuchsia - S/T (Great, Comus-style prog-folk)

Eddie Callahan - False Ego (Weird private press pop)

Peace, Love & Choons, guys!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2600 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 11:42
This week's plays:

Nick Lowe 'Labour Of Lust' - second solo album of sublime pop, newly available again on Proper Records. This made the dreary drive from Leeds to Sunderland very bearable indeed;

Dave Brubeck Quartet 'At Carnegie Hall' and 'In Europe' - two marvelous live recordings played in tribute to the great Joe Morello - what a drummer, and what a combo he drove;

Pat Metheny '80/81' - where Metheny proved his true jazz chops with the likes of Charlie Haden and Dewey Redman. This has dated far less than the guitar-synth stuff that characterized his own band's material from the same period;

Belle & Sebastian 'Write About Love' - the usual blend of faultless craftmanship, catchy licks, unusual arrangements and ascerbic lyrical content, with that curious lack of real feeling that I've always sensed from B&S's records to date;

The Unthanks 'Last' - overtly morose new album from the hot folk act of the moment. To be listened to a couple of songs at a time. Definitely not summer listening;

Traffic 'John Barleycorn Must Die' - the previous, less expanded CD edition with those two great unreleased Winwood songs that Universal inexplicably left off the latest release. Incredible to think that Stevie was still only 22 years old when he made this, with three Spencer Davis Group LPs, three Traffic LPs and one Blind Faith LP already to his name. Respect;

Queen Elizabeth 'Queen Elizabeth' - quite my favourite of the Drude's long instrumental excursions. More Thighpaulsandra collaborations soon please, Mr Cope;

XTC 'Drums & Wires' and 'Black Sea' - recently discovered by my eleven year old daughter, who immediately noted the lineage to Franz Ferdinand and the Kaiser Chiefs. I'm happy to note that XTC have replaced those bands in her affections. Now for the Teardrop Explodes...;

plus these classical discs for those who care about such things:

Steven Osbourne & Paul Lewis: Schubert Piano Duets;
John Ireland plays John Ireland;
Brahms 2 (Columbia SO/Bruno Walter);
Beethoven 'Rasumovsky' String Quartets, Op.59 (Italian String Quartet).

And that's it. Have a great week, all.

Dave
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 12:08
IanB wrote:

Really disappointing fucking around with one of the greatest records ever made. Live or otherwise. This was my fourth purchase of this record since it came out. The original sequence is rejigged, the insultingly crap tracks with Koss from the Voiceprint version are maintained, the audio on the out takes is often shocking, the mastering is not what it was on the original vinyl and of the new tracks only "May You Never" and "Spencer The Rover" are worth the bother. Steal those two and buy "Barleycorn" instead even if that too is short of definitive . Universal, hang your heads!

Did wonder about this after reading a review in one of the monthlies (Uncut?). Is the Voiceprint version the best reissue of the original now? Think that does at least keep the original intact while adding extra tracks.
Is there any of that line-up with Kossof & John Stevens with decent sound? Sounds like it coould be a very interesting band if on the same wavelength at the same time.
Was bassist Danny Thompson?

Need to see if I still have my Voiceprint copy.
Stevo
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2011, 13:32
Mar 20, 2011, 13:24
Stevo wrote:
IanB wrote:

Did wonder about this after reading a review in one of the monthlies (Uncut?). Is the Voiceprint version the best reissue of the original now? Think that does at least keep the original intact while adding extra tracks.
Is there any of that line-up with Kossof & John Stevens with decent sound? Sounds like it coould be a very interesting band if on the same wavelength at the same time.
Was bassist Danny Thompson?

Need to see if I still have my Voiceprint copy.
Stevo

Danny T was indeed the bassist. Koss sounds like he had scraped through the bottom of the barrel and kept scraping. Painful.

The Voiceprint cd with the extra tracks is rubbish. Get someone to send you a lovingly encoded rip of the vinyl or find the 1990 (ish) 6 track cd which (I think) came out on the German label Hypertension. To my ears that sounds closest to the vinyl I bought in 76.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2011, 13:31
Mar 20, 2011, 13:30
redfish365 wrote:
Fish / Raingods With Zippos

Superb! I was playing Sunsets on Empire only this morning. I absolutely love Fish when he does his Rebus style Philosopher King of Easter Road thing. The spoken word stuff on these albums is corny but brilliant. My one and only reservation about Raingods is that it all sounds a bit like a Pro Tools op with OCD squared everything off. Nothing gets faster or slows down naturally. Which is fine for Drum n Bass not so good for anything driven by real drums. But still. Marillion phobics should certainly check out Plague of Ghosts and Perceptions of Johnny Punter and be prepared to be quietly suprised. The man is an absolute legend even if Trevor Brooking doesn't have any of his albums ....
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index