Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 19/03/11
Mar 20, 2011, 16:22
Moon Cat wrote:
Dude, if we are ever in a pub somehere (which I'm confident we will be at some point), ask me to do my Fish singing "Script for a Jester's Tear" impression. I'm sure you will be suitably impressed/appalled!

I would have to fight the urge to make it a duet... and don't think I would win.
Would sound like HP Lovecraft covering Marillion I'm sure.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2011, 16:28
Mar 20, 2011, 16:27
redfish365 wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
Dude, if we are ever in a pub somehere (which I'm confident we will be at some point), ask me to do my Fish singing "Script for a Jester's Tear" impression. I'm sure you will be suitably impressed/appalled!

I would have to fight the urge to make it a duet... and don't think I would win.

Heh! The band or the author? Quite like the idea of Cthulhu doing a bit of prog-karaoke actually.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 16:31
Glad you got the stuff (at last he adds shamefully). Is the new Turisas good? I totally love the Varangian Way album. It's so utterly, absurdly battle metal to the max it makes me want to cudgel a priest on a viking raid.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 16:33
IanB wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
IanB wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Raingods isn't one of my favorite Fish albums... and that's why I pulled it out. That said, I love Fish and Fish-era Marillion to the point of having the Fish logo tattooed on my body. Sunsets is Fish's last really great album... but you're right about the spoken word stuff and about Johnny Punter!

Regarding Warning, the vocals ate why I like it. Most of the genre is plagued by that cookie monster vocals which I can't abide!

Fugazi and Clutching At Straws I love. Misplaced Childhhood not so much. Script sits somewhere in between. Then again I only got properly into the Fish era after going mad over Brave and Afraid Of Sunlight.

No love for Hogarth or a Barry tattoo?

Am American, was on a school trip to England which I turned into a record buying extravaganza! Saw Pallas and Twelfth Night on back to back evenings at the Marquee also). Kinda feel like liking Horgarth would be disloyal or something. My brother and some friends do like Hogarth era stuff... Brave is frequently mentioned as one I "need to give fair hearing to" but I really can't . It's complicated.

Superb story. Seriously good school trip. The old Marquee in Wardour Street was a real theatre of dreams in my teenage years. I would go straight to Happiness Is The Road and Marbles myself and come back to Brave but it doesn't sound like you are game for either. Full marks for commitment. I am old and still harbour a major Trevor Rabin allergy. Just the name sets me off ..

Trevor Rabin bugs the shit outta me too man. That really wasn't Yes!

Ah my school trip of '83 wouldn't have been a tenth as cool if our teacher wasn't so cool. Props to Mr. Ladd! He didn't have to take me to the Marquee once much less twice! The rest of our group wad given free reign for these nights as none of them had heard of Pallas or Twelfth Night nor woulda cared if they did. We also saw, as an entire group, Missing Personz at the Lyceum... as well as all the historical and touristy sites. A beautiful and wonderful country. We spent 2 weeks... me Mr Ladd and one other male student and about 8 other girls. The time of my life! We stayed at some hotel right off Piccadilly Circus... the name of which escapes me now. Darn!
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 16:36
Moon Cat wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

Heh! The band or the author? Quite like the idea of Cthulhu doing a bit of prog-karaoke actually.

The band, with their weird two person in unison vocals... tho at this point I can't be sure my pipes won't sound like the author...
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 16:39
Moon Cat wrote:
Glad you got the stuff (at last he adds shamefully). Is the new Turisas good? I totally love the Varangian Way album. It's so utterly, absurdly battle metal to the max it makes me want to cudgel a priest on a viking raid.

I really like it, picked it up for 8 squid and worth every penny. If you like Turisas, I see no reason why you wouldn't like this.

BTW: have you investigated Korpiklaani or Sabaton? Both worth looking into imho.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2011, 17:01
Mar 20, 2011, 16:51
I have one Korpiklaani album (which is ace in a beer chugging hell yeah way) but only heard bits of Sabaton. The new Turisas is on my 'to do' list.
I got the Varangian Way as a promo and it came in a DVD style box with some hilarious PR puffery and on the back it bears the legend "Someday the film will be made!". Brilliant!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Mar 20, 2011, 17:11
Mar 20, 2011, 17:10
Moon Cat wrote:

I had you down as more of a Grendel man! Bathory shoulda covered it.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 17:17
IanB wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

I had you down as more of a Grendel man! Bathory shoulda covered it.

I know I've posted it before but I'm sure you'll appreciate it - one of my fave heckels ever. Hammersmith Odeon, Marillion headline (and I think it was just as "Script..." had come out) and they're doing the tunes and there's loads of shouts for "Grendel" . The band play on, ignoring it until suddenly, through the "Grendel"s comes a shout of "FISH!". Fish goes "Yes?".

"You're FAT!"

haha!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Mar 20, 2011, 18:13
Yay! Korpiklaani! I want to hear their new one. Will Squidling is ALWAYS wearing his Korpiklaani T-shirt.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index