Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Re: Simple Minds In Inverness
Feb 09, 2011, 16:04
IanB wrote:
FifePsy wrote:
Also recall a recent interview with Robert Plant when he was asked if he would be playing any Zeppelin songs on the Band of Joy tour. He said that if people wanted to hear Zeppelin songs they should go and see a good tribute act as they would perform the songs better than he could!

I can believe that. As I say if the music stands up then its how glorious the rendition is not how authentic the line up.

And there are tribute bands and tribute bands...this one caught my eye this week:

FOUR MONSTER TALENTS GATHER TO SALUTE VISIONARY MUSICIAN & BAND

Tony Williams Lifetime Tribute featuring legendary bassist of Cream and one-time Lifetime member Jack Bruce, guitarist Vernon Reid (Living Colour), organist John Medeski (Medeski Martin & Wood), and ace drummer Cindy Blackman brings their unique take on Williams' revolutionary music to The Blue Note in New York City (Jan. 27-30), Yoshi's in Oakland (Feb. 2-5) and Jazz Alley in Seattle (Feb. 7 & 8).

Lifetime was founded as a trio in 1969 by Tony Williams who featured electric guitarist John McLaughlin and organist Larry Young . Lifetime's first album, titled Emergency!, was rejected by many jazz fans who came to know Williams' music from his work with the Miles Davis Quintet in the '60s, but many now consider it a fusion classic.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=74871
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index