Simple Minds In Inverness

77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Simple Minds In Inverness
Feb 09, 2011, 00:58
Jasonaparkes wrote:
I was talking about this with someone at work t'other day - I think there was some shite Guardian blog on bands who carry on when the lead-singer croaks etc...

Presumably the same article as I referred to in this thread. It wasn't shite at all. Dave Simpson's a pretty decent writer.

Jasonaparkes wrote:

I did point out that 3/4 of the band are there, which is more valid than Pink Floyd in the 80's-90's with only 1/2 the original members in the band.

I think it should be judged on its own merits. Personally I can't imagine seeing, say, Thin Lizzy without Lynott, but who are we to say that Brian Downey should be denied the opportunity to play the songs of a band he was such an intregal part of - and that he can't make a living from something he invested in so much? And if you're an uber-fan, you may well enjoy hearing, say, Scott Gorham play those riffs live.

Where it becomes more mucky is in the case of a band called T.Rex. Whereas there are still people alive in relation to Thin Lizzy who some fans might want to try and recreate that sound even without Phil, it's a different story with T.Rex. Drummer Bill Legend is still alive, but that's it from the classic line up.

And yet, there's been a band calling themselves by that name. I think it started as Mickey Fin's T.Rex, but after he and Jack Green went they became T.Rex even though the only proper connection was that the drummer Paul Fenton played drums on a few T.Rex tracks and toured with them circa '74. To add insult to injury worse one of the current members was a founder member of Saxon, surely one of the most tragic, pitiful acts this country has ever produced. Still at least it's not Biff or whatever his name was, so I guess I should be grateful for small mercies!

A petition was started a few years to stop them calling themselves T.Rex - and was signed by Bowie and Tony Visconti amongst many others. They're now calling themselves The Music of Marc Bolan & T.Rex, though the website address is rather more cheeky...

http://www.t-rex.co.uk

Disgraceful.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index