Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 09, 2011, 16:00
Re: Simple Minds In Inverness
Feb 09, 2011, 15:33
dave clarkson wrote:
There's enough space in the world for every band and associated audience to enjoy themselves.8)

I have no problem with this either. It is an odd (but probably predictable) thing that Rock is so concerned with the personalities.

Fairports without either Richard, Ian M, Ashley H, Swarb or Sandy has been a fact for decades but people seem to be able to take what they do on its merits. And there are units like the Mingus Big Band and the Arkestra (first under Gilmore's leadership and then Allen's) who are completely true to their respective founders' music without there being a hint of them passing themselves off. There have been more than 20 Temptations and I think I am right in saying that only Otis, who formed the band but hardly ever sang lead, has been in it for the duration. Point being in all three cases that the music is more important and more lasting than any single indivdual. That will end up being true of a lot of rock music too when another generation has passed and people still want to hear the music done with passion and a love of the form. Might take another 50 years for a concensus to form on what of the last 60 years of popular music is worth hanging on to.

As for the bands doing the circuit now without key members, if they are doing it to put food on their tables then fair enough - especially as the music business and its customers have unwittingly conspired to eviscerate the commercial value of their back catalogues. If they are crap then the audiences will dwindle. If they are as good as the Arkestra at keeping the flame alive then they will prosper.

As for Yes, I have railed against many of the line up changes since the 70s but I like the Wakeman and Anderson's idea that there could be a totally valid version of the band still performing the music after they are gone. Seems as reasonable to me as say a Royal Shakespeare Company without an Olivier or a Judi Dench.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index