Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Albums of the Year 2010
Dec 22, 2010, 01:35
sencha wrote:
toasted-whippet wrote:

Best Reissue
Uriah Heep - Salisbury

What is 'Salisbury' like? Are you hearing sounds you didn't hear before? Clearer?

I never listened to Uriah Heep on a good system, regarded them as a kind of Deep Purple light

though when I think about it now there aren't really many similarities.

They are probably more of a special band than their perennial 2nd division status might imply.

It's only relatively recently I've got into what might be termed 'classic' Heep, i.e the early David Byron era and I have to say I was blown away by the mix of primitive but potent riffing, Queen style vocal histrionics and harmonies (surely an influence on Freddie n co really) and Hammond power. But, also, the gentler side of things has it's own attraction too - deffo got that UK prog whimsy of its time going on.

I've got a couple of the 80's Pete Goalby fronted albums and they are pretty good in a melodi-rock kinda way, and they still keep those big harmonies going. The recentish "Wake the Sleeper" album is an utterly fab melding of classic Heepisms and a more contemporary hard rock edge. A properly great rock album should you be inclined to have a listen.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index