136 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Re: Albums of the Year 2010
Dec 05, 2010, 17:05
Kilgore Trout wrote:
Good to see someone else liking the Field Music album! Not wanting to pigeonhole people, i've always assumed (as an occassional contributor but frequent lurker!) that the proggier stuff that seems to go over best here is coming from the more psychedelic end of the genre (the 'freakiness'/atmospherics perhaps compensating for the indulgences).

You'd be hard pressed to call the Brewis brothers 'trippy' or whatever, but i think a lot of their stuff (especially this year's double album, 'Tones Of Town' and 'The Week That Was') has a welcome sense of adventurousness and unpredictability, not so much sonically but in terms of structure and composition - all that nerdy stuff!

Add in bits of mid-period XTC (not really the early stuff that's been ripped off to death), chamber pop and maybe even a dash of post-rock (the Gastr Del Sol/Jim O'Rourke type stuff) and there's hopefully something to get your teeth into.

At very least, DON'T lump them in with fellow Sunderland scene indie-pop types like The Futureheads and bloody Maximo Park! They're considerably more interesting than that if you ask me.

I actually came to them through the two solo albums - The Week That Was got all the big write-ups, but I like the School of Language album even more.

Incredibly creative band and increasingly rocking, and definitely NOT just quirky indie. Jim O'Rourke is a very good call.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index