Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 26 September 2010 CE
Sep 26, 2010, 02:45
The June - Magic Circles
(great psych band from Parma Italy -- they sing in perfectly accented English, but according to a mutual friend don't speak a word of it. kinda like a cross between the Beatles circa Magical Mystery Tour and Sylvie Vartan on an ether-binge)

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night
(please take my advice. please take my advice. as Young put it, this is a suicide note without the suicide. a must)

Rolling Stones - Black and Blue
(i bought the copy i'm listening to in a C&A store in Eindhoven, the Netherlands in 1976. i liked it then, and now that i've lived long enough to really understand how appropos the lyrics are, I'm convinced it's their master piece. to paraphrase Dr. Dre, Charles Shaar Murray can eat a fat dick. word.)

Dr. Dre - The Chronic
(was always very selective with regard to rap music, but this cd is beyond criticism, especially as a soundtrack for driving around in LA. I re-bought it the other day for 4 bucks at PM Sounds, which is a trippy store in downtown Torrance, mainly frequented by ultra-hip 50-year old black dudes shopping for Miles Davis vinyl re-issues and impossibly rare $2000 tape decks by Nakamichi. I was actually hesitant to hand it to the ultra-hip 50 year-old black dude who runs the place to ring up, but he just smiled beatifically.)

Blossom Toes - We Are Ever So Clean
(better than Sgt. Pepper? it just might be.)

Hawkwind - Hall of the Mountain Grill
(the only psychedelic band that stayed psychedelic right through the 70s. Lemmy apparently lives 4 miles from me, and hangs out everynight at the Rainbow. I'm tempted to go up there for a drink one of these nights, but what do you say to Lemmy? still working on that :)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2010, 12:51
Sep 26, 2010, 11:08
Hail!

Manic Street Preachers - Journal for Plague Lovers. Richey Edwards last batch of lyrics stitched to some great rock songs, some of which have a bit of a post-punk feel to them. It doesn't have the harrowing, visceral atmosphere of The Holy Bible, but a really good album all the same. V good!

Shining - Black Jazz. Black metal freak jazz skronk. Tis good!

Sisters Of Transistors - At The Ferrenti Institute. Excellent vintage keys fueled art-pop.

The Parlor Mob - And You Were a Crow. Bit Zep, very 70's influenced US hard rock.

The Witch & The Robot - On Safari. Excellent neo-folky rock with some spoken word bits that sound so like Cope in places I had to check the credits.

Opeth - Blackwater Park. Prog Metal masterpiece.

Benga - Diary of an Afro Warrior. Dark n moody but nice and squadgy too.

Sienna Root - Different Realities. Mix of stoner and psyche-folk. Like it lots.

The Aliens - Astronomy For Dogs. Very catchy n riffy pscyhe pop. It occured to me that they kind of remind of The Dandy Warhols in that they're not afraid of stitching psychedelic and experimental stuff to some fairly obvious, catchy tunes to pleasing effect.

Wolf People - Tidings. Top stuff

Black Tempest - Ex Proxima. More top stuff from top bloke.

Dubstep n drum n bass mix cxd from Mingtp from a while ago. I'm house sitting at my mum's place at the mo which is semi-detached and I played this at silly volume last night. Think something fell off the roof but it's worth it!

Periphery - S/T. Mad prog stop-start riff clang bong squee metal. Not sure there's actually any tunes, but it's good fun!

Horisont - Tva Sidor Av Horisont. Swedes evoke the likes of Wishbone Ash & Stray in this mega 70's influenced collection tunes.

Rinocerose - Music Kills Me. Great play-loud album.

Adam F - Colours. Lush drum n bass tunage from when this sort of thing was popular.

The Anander Shankar Experience & State of Bengal - Walking On. Hadn't played this in ages til a few weeks ago and now can't stop playing it. The live version of "Streets of Calcutta" is great.

Have a nice week sound slurpers x
Mart
Mart
214 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 12:24
Boston Spaceships - Our Cubehouse Still Rocks
Deertick - The Black Dirt Sessions
Megafaun - Heretofore EP
Errors - Come Down With Me
Black Mountain - Wilderness Heart

Thats pretty much it for me this week, dont wanna spread meself too thin....
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 12:29
Moon Cat wrote:
Manic Street Preachers
Sisters Of Transisters
The Parlor Mob
The Witch & The Robot
Benga
Sienna Root
The Aliens
Wolf People
Black Tempest
Dubstep n drum n bass

Awesome selections Moonie, a man after my own heart!

Moon Cat wrote:
Horisont - Tva Sidor Av Horisont. Swedes evoke the likes of Wishbone Ash & Stray in this mega 70's influenced collection tunes.

Is this worth checking out? Please excuse my ignorance - seen the name on here many times but am woefully uninformed...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2010, 12:50
Sep 26, 2010, 12:44
Cheers man. Those tunes are basically what I packed into my wheelie bag for my stay down South (am still 'ere!). So it's all what's been licking me 'lobes of late really.

Horisont. Came across those totally by accident on the sniff recently in my fave 2nd hand/does promos shop in Manchester. Picked up the el cheapo promo on the strength of the sleeve art, the photo of the band, and the list of instruments played. Figured it was so cheap I could always use it as a coaster if it sucked smeggy dog nob.
However, I was delighted to find that it really is a top notch collection of VERY 70's influenced rock tunes. They make Witchcraft sound like Pendulum. Wishbone and Stray, that lush 2nd division league of Brit bands came to mind, so if you like that sorta thing, you'll heart this. Some of the songs are in Swedish but it matters not. Would you like me to send you a copy, or are you happy to sniff out yourself?

Ps I'd really like to kiss yer ass for some more of that extra boingy drum n bass n dubstep like what you stuck on a comp disc if I may? Especially of the sort like that Ebony Dubsters track. Seriously, I played that to a mate saying "You have to hear this" when we were both somewhat spaced and he laughed so hard it was like he was gonna die! You know, like when the Jokers victims do before they kark it? Always a sign of a good tune I think!
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 12:55
Moon Cat wrote:
Would you like me to send you a copy, or are you happy to sniff out yourself?

Ooh, yes please. My email is mingthepenniless[at]googlemail.com. Ping me and I'll give you my addy. Need yours too for below.

Moon Cat wrote:
I'd really like to kiss yer ass for some more of that extra boingy drum n bass n dubstep like what you stuck on a comp disc if I may?

Can't promise anything quite as mad as Ebony Dubsters, but it would be my pleasure. Ping me your addy and I'll knock summat up.
landells
landells
680 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 16:44
IanB wrote:
Curtis Mayfield - There's No Place Like America Today
If you have any affinity for 70s soul with a social / political twist then beg borrow or buy this record, it is totally and utterly brilliant. Clavinet, deep bass, multiple wah wah guitars and lots of dubby space underpin the sweetest falsetto going. I wonder if CM had been listening to "Catch A Fire"? Get this and "Back To The World". These records make "Superly" sound positively anaemic.

Yeah, that is a great record. Brilliant sleeve too. And I think you are right about Catch A Fire. I do wonder how many people own Superfly but have never bothered investigating further... their loss. Curtis was a bit of a dude
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 17:04
Charley Patton - The Definitive 3CD
V/A - Beg, Borrow or Steal: The origins, music and influence of Robert Johnson

Can - Soundtracks

Dolly Mixture - Everything And More
Maximum Joy - Unlimited 1979 - 1983
Dome - Dome
V/A - Factory 1987
The House of Love - The Complete Peel Sessions
Big Black - Songs About Fucking
Ian McCulloch - Candleland

Thomas Koner - Nunatak; Teimo; Permafrost

Thighpaulsandra - Rape Scene
Stylus - NTB
George Pringle - "Pop Hit"
Blur - Live 2009: 30p charity shop bargain.

LCD Soundsystem - "I Can Change" 12"
Goldfrapp - "Believer" mixes
Cathal Coughlan - Rancho Tetrahedron
Luke Abbott - Holkham Drones
The The - Tony OST
Bjork - "Comet Song"
Nils Frahm - Unter/Uber EP
Interpol - Interpol
Underworld - Barking
Grinderman - Grinderman 2
OMD - History of Modern
The Distractions - "Black Velvet" CD single
V/A - Dream Pop: MOJO comp from a couple of months back, nice Sunday-ish CD.
Freebass - It's A Beautiful Life: well it might be, but this is a shit record.
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 17:45
Robert Harrison - Future Clouds & Radar.

Tame Impala - Innerspeaker.

The Pillbugs - The 3 Dimensional In-Popcycle Dream.

Supertramp - S/T....Crime Of The Century.....Breakfast In America.

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways......Coma Divine.

The Bevis Frond - New River Head.......Inner Marshland.

Tommy James & The Shondells - Cellophane Symphony.

Rose Kemp - Unholy Majesty.

Dust - S/T......Hard Attack.

Roger Waters - Amused To Death.

Mushroom - Naked, Stoned & Stabbed.

Southern Isolation - S/T.

Ween - 12 Golden Country Greats.......White Pepper......Quebec.

Six Organs Of Admittance - School Of The Flower.

Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lions Skull.

Have a fantastic week all.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 18:50
thesweetcheat wrote:
Charley Patton - The Definitive 3CD
V/A - Beg, Borrow or Steal: The origins, music and influence of Robert Johnson

Can - Soundtracks

Dolly Mixture - Everything And More
Maximum Joy - Unlimited 1979 - 1983
Dome - Dome
V/A - Factory 1987

Looks like you've had a great week's listening, dude. I particularly dig that Dolly Mixture comp. Me ma' did an interview with Captain Sensible a couple of months back and asked me if I had anything I wanted to ask him. I told her to bring up Dolly Mixture because his wife was in that band. He said in the interview that her life was a bit of a living hell in Dolly Mixture because one of the other members, Debsy (the dark-haired one), was a completely pretentious ass. It doesn't show in their music. Just dozens of completely infectious indie girl groupy tunes. Love them. Fave song is either Will He Kiss Me Tonight or the more atmospheric Whistling in the Dark (gotta love that woodwind).

Big Charley Patton and Dome fan as well.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index