Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2010, 19:13
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 26 September 2010 CE
Sep 26, 2010, 18:59
If he was a little influenced by Bob Marley, the Rocksteady groups (including BM & The Wailers) were majorly influenced by Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions. His guitar style (also an influence on Hendrix) can be heard in most of those bands. There was even a reggae V.A. album of Curtis covers called I'm So Proud featuring Marley, The Heptones and a bunch of other Rocksteady groups. I think Minstrel & The Queen (Queen Majesty) was the one that took off the most in Jamaica for some reason.

Anyway, TNPLAT is fo' sho' a very underrated album. Billy Jack might just be my favourite Mayfield song.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 20:33
Cheers Sin. Yeah, you wouldn't know that (about Debsy) from listening to the music, but then everyone was pretentious in 1983, one way or another. :-)

I love the Dome album, had it on very crackly vinyl for years, but just bought it on CD, coupled with the equally good Dome 2, which I'd never heard before.

The Robert Johnson one is a 3 disc thing, first disc is contemporaries and people who came before him (very good); second disc is all the RJ recordings (also v. good, natch) and the third disc is people who were "inspired" by him, which is mostly (but not all) dreadful, sadly.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 20:58
Belinda Carlisle- Belinda

Peter Hammill- The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage

SF Seals- Truth Walks in Sleepy Shadows

The Pet Shop Boys- Disco

Spacemen 3- Performance

Spacemen 3- The Perfect Prescription

Boom Boom Satellites- Out Loud

Add N to (X)- Loud Like Nature

The Waterboys- A Pagan Place

The Jam- The Gift

MGMT- Oracular Spectacular (finally got around to hearing this. Didn't like it).

Ceasars- 39 minutes of Bliss (in an otherwise meaningless world)

The Scene Is Now- Songbirds Lie

The Howling Hex- All-Night Fox

Citay- Dream Get Together

O Children- S/T
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 21:26
Be A Familiar - To The Lighthouse
Possibly the least hip record in the world. The boy/girl vocalising reminds me very much of Deacon Blue - if they'd ever been any good. This is big and noisy and totally joyous.

The Phantom Band - The Wants
Might be a tad more instantly accessible than Checkmate Savage. Kinda getting a bit obsessed by Everybody Knows It's True which could do with being a good three hours long IMO. Nice to see they've managed the second album quite easily.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 21:43
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
The Phantom Band - The Wants
Might be a tad more instantly accessible than Checkmate Savage. Kinda getting a bit obsessed by Everybody Knows It's True which could do with being a good three hours long IMO. Nice to see they've managed the second album quite easily.

Part of the reason I didn't warm to MGMT was that when I put the CD in my computer, for some reason it didn't play it but started playing Checkmate Savage from my hard drive instead. Which I hadn't listened to for a while, so I was listening thinking, this is really good, but quite familiar; maybe I have heard them after all. Took me five tracks before I realised. Started the MGMT from the beginning, really wanting it to sound like The Phantom Band. Instead got Flaming Lips-meets-ELO-meets-Top Shop electro. Not what I wanted at all.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2010, 21:54
Sep 26, 2010, 21:45
Maybe a sign you have simply too much music?

Feels like it sometimes...x
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 21:53
WITCH!!!!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2010, 22:51
Sep 26, 2010, 22:48
Yup. Marley also covered "People Get Ready", a tune Mayfield wrote for the Impressions.

Don't forget to go back in time as well: Impressions classics like "We're a Winner" and "Mighty Mighty", plus Curtis' pre-Superfly albums like Curtis (1970), Roots (1971) and the double live album (which might be his best, because he was VERY LIVE.)

I rate Mayfield up there with the likes of Dylan, Neil & Smokey. Incredible songwriting & everything else too! (Hell he even makes Dylan look like a chump!)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 23:01
I don't think I listened to any "albums" this week. Getting ready for a radio special next week, so digging around for cool B-sides (on 45 and other sources.)

Got to DJ a set at a big street fair for thousands of gaping street wanderers. Here was the set list (only 20 minutes or so):

Enoch Light - Marakesh Express (under announcements)
Temptations - Psychedelic Shack
Chambers Brothers - All Strung Out Over You
Funkadelic - Better By The Pound
Byrne & Eno - Regiment
Black Mountain - Wucan
Sly & The Family Stone - I Wanna Take You Higher
The Byrds - Eight Miles High

Annoying earworms I can't get out of my head this week: "Burnin For You" by BOC (not one of my favorites of theirs, but it is just one insanely memorable hook after another. Especialy the weedly-deedly guitar intro that repeats after the choruses.) And "Lost In Love" by Air Supply (now where did that come from?)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 23:21
Yeah, there's an excellent Stephen King-style video for "Burning For You" as well...
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index