Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 26 September 2010 CE
Sep 26, 2010, 23:21
Dog 3000 wrote:
Annoying earworms I can't get out of my head this week: "Burnin For You" by BOC

Weird, was just thinking about that track t'other day. A classic imo.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 23:33
Rodney Crowell; THE OUTSIDER and FATES RIGHT HAND.

LOTS of Joanne Napolitano stuff, solo and CONCRETE BLONDE. Excellent artist. Right up there with Kate Bush talent wise...IMHO that is...

And since i'm in Florida, been hereing Loads of Feckin' KID ROCK crap almost everywhere i've been. Friday nite, was at a roadhouse off hi-way 19 called the OAR-HOUSE...loud obnoxious LADY GAGA and KID ROCK shite to a feckin' POUNDING and horrifying beat. If that was not bad enough, you should see what comes out after dark here in the sticks...
I was proudly introduced by a 'BUBBA' to his gal WANDA.....
Wanda was about 350 pounds and wearing some sort of Goth/garter outfit that showed off every horrifying detail. Man o man...you just had to be there. And behind the DJ booth was a projector tv that alternated between awfull KID rock videos and a silhouette image of a gal with HUGE breasts rubbin' 'em around for all they were worth...You can't buy that kind of americana for any price. All in all a swell evening.
keith a
9574 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 23:44
THE SHINING CITY ON THE HILL – Applecraft
Mention of Ochre Records here made me dig this out. Features several ex-members of Spiritualized including the fabulous Mr Michael Mooney, now in the current line-up of the Wild Swans. Good album!

SATAN’S CIRCUS – Death In Vegas
Those German influences run strong here. The electronics of Kraftwerk, the beats of Neu, it all ends up sounding kinda timeless.

HEAD FIRST – Goldfrapp
Cerrone. Kylie. Abba. Bronski Beat. Fleetwood Mac if they’d been a synth act! It’s all here!!

DUNIYA - Loop Guru
Wow! Great to hear this one again. One of my fave LP’s of the 90’s. Great beats, Wobble-like basslines. I heard FSOL’s Papua New Guinea this week and hearing them both again after all this time there seemed a certain symmetry. So if you like that, you could do worse than give this a listen.

OUTERNATIONAL – Billy MacKenzie
I could happily live without the cover of Pastime Paradise, but otherwise this is a really under-rated set. And the single, Baby, is colossal.

MESSAGE FROM THE COUNTRY – The Move
I can take or leave some of the album, but it has its moments such as The Words Of Aaron. And it’s always good to hear those three great, neglected early 70’s 45’s – Tonight, Chinatown and California Man – that I loved so much as a kid. It’s also an interesting pointer not just to ELO, but Wizzard.

Also...
DISAPORA – Natacha Atlas

LET IT BE – The Beatles

TENDER BUTTONS – Broadcast

THE FIDELITY WARS – Hefner

MUSICAL SHARK ATTACK – I Roy

KEEP ON YOUR MEAN SIDE – The Kills

TRANSLUSENT – The Land Of Nod

HELIGOLAND – Massive Attack

MEMORY ALMOST FULL – Paul McCartney

BACKING OFF IS FOR THE OTHER BAND - Roger

HMS FABLE – Shack

MAN IN A BURNING SHED VOL 1 – Paul Simpson

THE ETERNAL – Sonic Youth

THIS GIFT – Sons & Daughters

SOUND OF CONFUSION – Spacemen 3

ON PATROL – Sun Araw

STRAIGHT TO YOU – V/A
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 23:53
dodge one wrote:
LOTS of Joanne Napolitano stuff, solo and CONCRETE BLONDE. Excellent artist.

Love Concrete Blonde (especially God Is A Bullet), not heard her solo stuff. Any tips on which solo album to start with?
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 23:58
keith a wrote:
DUNIYA - Loop Guru

Right, my copy's coming out now. Perfect bedtime tunage, tyvm mate.

Incidentally, I have a spare CD of this going for nowt if anyone wants it - rescued it from a bargain bin. Just shout if you're interested.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Sep 27, 2010, 00:05
I only have her solo record called SCARRED{2007}. I love it to bits.
Also the latest and mauybe the last...Concrete Blonde record from {2004} is called MOJAVE. Jim Mankey is a really unique guitarist i think, a very sinewy any winding fluid sound....

And whilst here in FLORIDA, at the Homosassa Flea market i picked up BLOOD LETTING and WALKING IN LONDON for 3 dollars each on CD. Nice records too.
Joanne is the whole package, graet songwriter, totally unique vocalist, and plays a really cool lopeing Bass style too.
So thats my current infatuation.
D1
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 27, 2010, 01:46
mingtp wrote:
keith a wrote:
DUNIYA - Loop Guru

Right, my copy's coming out now. Perfect bedtime tunage, tyvm mate.

Incidentally, I have a spare CD of this going for nowt if anyone wants it - rescued it from a bargain bin. Just shout if you're interested.

Me!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2010, 08:42
Sep 27, 2010, 08:42
Sin Agog wrote:
If he was a little influenced by Bob Marley, the Rocksteady groups (including BM & The Wailers) were majorly influenced by Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions.

You're not wrong. The influence ran both ways . The vocal style of the original Wailers owes everything to the Impressions. The Maytals were perhaps even more in hock to Mayfield. I love the harmonies on the early Impressions releases (63 - 65) the Curtom stuff not so much. They sound more like tentative CM solo albums.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 27, 2010, 11:25
Moon Cat wrote:
Me!

Done! Will be in separate envelope to your Dubstep & DrumnBass CD, but I'll get it off to you soon Moonie.
keith a
9574 posts

Sep 27, 2010, 12:31
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did when I played it!

Let us know how you get on with it, Moonie!!
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index